Hurricane Katrina

Atleast he tried to help. But he should've hired a experienced captain to pilot his ship. You'd think he could have found plenty of experienced fisherman in the area that have piloted the ship.

All I can say that who ever voted for Bush are morons <_< . And I pretty hate politics...and for a while politics have been morons :angry: . The flooding could have been avoided if the levees if I spelled that right would have been funded for a stronger structure. Bush is Emperor Palatine to me and Cheny is just Darth Vader yah that sounds stupid but its the best way I can describe them :p .

All I can say that who ever voted for Bush are morons <_< . And I pretty hate politics...and for a while politics have been morons :angry: . The flooding could have been avoided if the levees if I spelled that right would have been funded for a stronger structure. Bush is Emperor Palatine to me and Cheny is just Darth Vader yah that sounds stupid but its the best way I can describe them :p .

326341[/snapback]

Dude, are you like 5? Bush has nothing to do with the fukin water management in some crap south city.... If some little kid gets killed in an intersection in Pigs Knuckle, Arkansas, and there shoulda been a stop sign there, is that Bush's fault also?

Just so you know, Political discussion isn't allowed here anyway... You should use your lack of logic to discuss Macross.

Either way, I find that aniGIF more offensive than any racism present.

326113[/snapback]

Well it was one that I had just seen someone post, so it was the easiest for me to grab. Apologies to anyone that's offended by it.

326301[/snapback]

Just annoying is all.

I'm hard to actually offend.

Farrell and Hilton Sell Themselves for Hurricane Victims

Colin Farrell helped raise $20,000 at an auction to aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina - by selling himself on Friday. Miami Vice co-star Jamie Foxx took bids for a date with Farrell and when nervous women weren't forthcoming at the Delano Hotel charity bash in Miami Beach, Florida, decided to ask for group bids. One bunch of 10 friends bid $10,000 for a date with the Irishman, while another woman doubled the bid for her own one-night stand. And generous Farrell helped boost the fund too - he paid $50,000 for a portrait of Ray Charles. Meanwhile, fellow human auction item Paris Hilton was brought to tears when one fan bid $200,000 to spend New Year's Eve with the socialite. She said, "It's so generous. I'm crying right now."

:o

And once Sean Penn got his sealegs, he did all right.

Got his boat plugged up and moving, and he was giving out to the people he rescued.

Beats the heck out of some of the other people that just sat there shouting about how Bush did it.

Bush is Emperor Palatine to me and Cheny is just Darth Vader yah that sounds stupid but its the best way I can describe them :p .

326341[/snapback]

You got it all wrong, gay dancing spidey. Karl Rove is Palpy, Cheney is Vader, and Bush is just some guy that gives speeches.

Bush is Emperor Palatine to me and Cheny is just Darth Vader yah that sounds stupid but its the best way I can describe them :p .

326341[/snapback]

You got it all wrong, gay dancing spidey. Karl Rove is Palpy, Cheney is Vader, and Bush is just some guy that gives speeches.

326606[/snapback]

nah jar jar binks :lol: you know we all like him.

326341[/snapback]

326606[/snapback]

Isn't his avatar just the lamest thing ever? Must be an M7 fan. And as it seems we are getting political here: Having a pussy avatar and being a flaming liberal usually go hand in hand.

Either way, Cheney's the baddest-ass badass that ever badded an ass.

Remember when making Star Wars analogies that while Vader was evil, he was still the living breathing incarnation of awesome.

Edited by JB0

326341[/snapback]

That's not entirely true. My wife has friends down there and she asked about this. For years, everytime it came to vote to use more money to fix the levees, the people voted it down. The local and state governments are to blame as well. I can't stand Dubya but ya can't blame him for everything.

By any chance did Sean Penn drown? Douchebag.

326341[/snapback]

That's not entirely true. My wife has friends down there and she asked about this. For years, everytime it came to vote to use more money to fix the levees, the people voted it down. The local and state governments are to blame as well. I can't stand Dubya but ya can't blame him for everything.

Also the levee that failed was labelled by the Corp of Engineers as complete. It was as high as it needed to be and the maintainence was all done.

They just weren't intended to handle better than a Cat3.

By any chance did Sean Penn drown? Douchebag.

Nope. Once he got his sealegs he was actually fairly effective in getting people to safety.

And he was passing money to the people he saved. Sure it wasn't very much cash to Penn, but it's a hell of a lot more than most people are doing, particularly the loud ones.

326341[/snapback]

326606[/snapback]

Isn't his avatar just the lamest thing ever? Must be an M7 fan. And as it seems we are getting political here: Having a pussy avatar and being a flaming liberal usually go hand in hand.

326609[/snapback]

What? You guys don't like his avatar? I thought it was hilarious the first time i saw it. It looks like an idea for a bad cameo on an episode of The Tick or something... :p "Evildoers cannot withstand the might of my justice dance!"

Anyways. Ladies and gentlemen--and everyone else--we have witnessed a monumental event in our nation's history. I think it's safe to say that it will be debated, on so many levels, for generations to come. Unfortunately, many will try to profit from this tragedy, be it politically, economically, whatever. There's plenty of blame to go 'round for this colossal fu--up, but now's not the time for that. Too bad so many of those stuffed-shirts on capitol hill don't get that. The finger pointing and blame game has already started. I don't think anybody in Mississippi or Louisiana really gives a frog's fat ass about just whose fault it is, at least right now. Right now, they just want to be able to rebuild their lives...

326341[/snapback]

326606[/snapback]

326609[/snapback]

What? You guys don't like his avatar? I thought it was hilarious the first time i saw it. It looks like an idea for a bad cameo on an episode of The Tick or something... :p "Evildoers cannot withstand the might of my justice dance!"

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/gayspiderman.html

Personally I think it would be a VERY bad idea to rebuild NO, based on the pollution and the fact that this WILL happen again. Now there is going to be a big stink over the enviornmantal issues that this will bring to light. I by no means am a tree hugging hippie but there should be a balance and I hope there will be some decent attempt to clean this up.

Either way, Cheney's the baddest-ass badass that ever badded an ass.

Remember when making Star Wars analogies that while Vader was evil, he was still the living breathing incarnation of awesome.

326610[/snapback]

Word... I like the analogy more now.

326341[/snapback]

326606[/snapback]

326609[/snapback]

326631[/snapback]

HAHA! The URL says "gay" in it.

326341[/snapback]

326606[/snapback]

326609[/snapback]

326631[/snapback]

LMAO! :lol:

New Orleans had been very lucky since most of the storms before this one were either weak or turned into mississippi or florida. It's like the boy who cried wolf syndrome. Most people I know down here who did evacuate only brought a few days worth of cloths and items. We all thought we would be going home after a few days.

I actually rode out the storm in jefferson parish and we had to be picked up by the national guard in order to get out of where we were. I am currrently in the overrun baton rouge area.

Some one said it earlier too.... the levees were only meant to handle a cat 3 and they broke in 3 places. One may have been due to a barge. For the most part my house was spared but so many of my coworkers lost their entire homes.

I went back into metairie yesterday and the amount of trees and powerlines that were just uprooted was amazing. While there i got my first experience with an MRE since they are giving them out to residents with water. The national guard presence with m-16's in hand is a little unnerving when your not used to seeing that in your neighborhood but its great that they are there.

While in metaire they said its still not safe even there citing car jackings and beatings at night.

I still have not been able to get to my collection at home but i did not get any water. They are just going through extreme heat

Can someone shut this thread down now? Just like the James Doohan thread, it's become just another place for the republicrats and dempublicans to go tearing each other apart. And to think I come here to escape the fact that, yes, there are people who exist called Sean Hannity and Michael Moore who pollute the public discourse with naked, uncompromising, partisan ideological sniping... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Especailly on something like what is going on right now in the South. Those idiots from both parties want to shift the blame for this so their own party looks good come November 2006 and Nov. 2008. Right now, that posturing is not going to feed PERSON ONE. It happened. They farted up the early stages on every level. Now, it;s time to forge ahead and get the South rebuilt. There'll be plenty of time for the Optimates and Populares to try to use this to their political advantage. NOW IS NOT THAT TIME.

LAREDO, Texas - A Mexican army convoy crossed into the United States on Thursday to bring aid to hurricane victims, becoming the first Mexican military unit to operate on U.S. soil since 1846.

The 45-vehicle convoy was carrying water treatment plants and mobile kitchens to San Antonio, where the soldiers apparently planned to feed and provide other help for evacuees from the New Orleans area.

The first green trucks, with Mexican flags attached to the sides, crossed the international bridge at Laredo at about 8:15 a.m.

The Mexican government was already planning another 12-vehicle aid convoy for this week. It has sent a Mexican navy ship toward the Mississippi coast with rescue vehicles and helicopters.

Radio talk shows and newspapers in Mexico buzzed with excitement over news that this country, long on the receiving end of U.S. disaster relief, was sending a hurricane aid convoy north.

The mayor of New Orleans has said thousands may have died from Hurricane Katrina, which struck the U.S. Gulf of Mexico coast Aug. 29. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced.

Mexico has sent disaster relief aid missions to other Latin American nations, but not to the United States. In 1846, Mexican troops briefly advanced just north of the Rio Grande in Texas, which had then recently joined the United States.

Mexico, however, did not then recognize the Rio Grande as the U.S. border. The two countries quickly became mired in the Mexican-American War, which led to the loss of half of Mexico's territory in 1848.

The convoy has “a very high symbolic content,†said Javier Oliva, a political scientist at Mexico’s National Autonomous University. “This is a very sensitive subject, for historic and political reasons.â€

Large Mexican flags were taped to many of the 35 olive-green Mexican Army trucks and tractor trailers as they rumbled northward toward the border Wednesday.

The convoy includes two mobile kitchens that can feed 7,000 people a day, three flatbed trucks carrying mobile water-treatment plants and 15 trailers of bottled water, blankets and applesauce. The 195 Mexicans taking part include military engineers, doctors and nurses.

“This is the first time that the United States has accepted a military mission from Mexico†for such work, said Javier Ibarrola, a newspaper columnist who covers military affairs in Mexico.

The relief mission was controversial for some Mexican lawmakers, who said the president should have sought Senate approval before sending troops abroad. But the administration of President Vicente Fox said no such approval was needed for aid missions. But it nevertheless later asked permission and the Senate approved it.

Can someone shut this thread down now? Just like the James Doohan thread, it's become just another place for the republicrats and dempublicans to go tearing each other apart. And to think I come here to escape the fact that, yes, there are people who exist called Sean Hannity and Michael Moore who pollute the public discourse with naked, uncompromising, partisan ideological sniping... :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Especailly on something like what is going on right now in the South. Those idiots from both parties want to shift the blame for this so their own party looks good come November 2006 and Nov. 2008. Right now, that posturing is not going to feed PERSON ONE. It happened. They farted up the early stages on every level. Now, it;s time to forge ahead and get the South rebuilt. There'll be plenty of time for the Optimates and Populares to try to use this to their political advantage. NOW IS NOT THAT TIME.

326882[/snapback]

Now is not that time? Well, that's whats been upsetting me. It's not 'BOTH' sides turning this into a political opportunity. Sorry, but sometimes one side is more out of line than the other. It's not the Repbulican side crying racism (over a **&@ Hurricane!) or calling for this official and that official to resign.

There's flame wars all over MW, over toys or over Robotech or over 'this show is awseome'/'that show is lame' and 'you suck!'/'no you suck!' Even the mods dive right into these scraps. So no, I don't think we need to shut this thread down. MW isn't all sweetness and niceness these days, so be it.

Incidentally, even though I lean right, I think Hannity is a rude Jackass. Hell, I have a laundry list of complaints with Pres. Bush(and he won't meet with me! :o ). Just because I have philosphical leaning doesn't mean I'm a two dimensional partisan robot.

Can someone shut this thread down now? Just like the James Doohan thread, it's become just another place for the republicrats and dempublicans to go tearing each other apart. And to think I come here to escape the fact that, yes, there are people who exist called Sean Hannity and Michael Moore who pollute the public discourse with naked, uncompromising, partisan ideological sniping... :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

326882[/snapback]

Now is not that time? Well, that's whats been upsetting me. It's not 'BOTH' sides turning this into a political opportunity. Sorry, but sometimes one side is more out of line than the other. It's not the Repbulican side crying racism (over a **&@ Hurricane!) or calling for this official and that official to resign.

There's flame wars all over MW, over toys or over Robotech or over 'this show is awseome'/'that show is lame' and 'you suck!'/'no you suck!' Even the mods dive right into these scraps. So no, I don't think we need to shut this thread down. MW isn't all sweetness and niceness these days, so be it.

Incidentally, even though I lean right, I think Hannity is a rude Jackass. Hell, I have a laundry list of complaints with Pres. Bush(and he won't meet with me! :o ). Just because I have philosphical leaning doesn't mean I'm a two dimensional partisan robot.

327021[/snapback]

I guess you're right about that one point that the Republicans have not been harping on the hurricane. On that misstatement I apologize. But my complaint was a bit broader. It seems that lately, we have had lib v. conservative flareups on a couple of threads where they were neither needed, appropriate, logical nor constructive.

Those RT v. Macross or weekly A1 v. Kieth M7 battles are fun to watch. Not all flame wars have to be shot down. I'm not against flame wars in general. However, I've always been of the opinion that the two things guaranteed to start real fights are politics and religion. I do not want to see MW turn into the Battlezone thread of RT.com. And, frankly, I also believe that politics is simply too important to be handled in such a cavilier manner as "Bush = Palpatine" or "you liberal pussy."

We are talking about the future of our nation, dammit, not Macross 7 v. Macross Plus here, and it deserves a decorum it has sorely lacked for at least my entire lifetime, if not longer.

I for one am sick of some fat slob with a camera getting up there and comparing our president to Hitler, and then hearing some two-bit commentator say that Joe McCarthy was a great American hero. They add NOTHING to an already debased and debauched political atmosphere.

And, finally, I never accused anyone personally of being, as you put it, a "partisan robot." What I said is that, as I mentioned before, that there have been some people who, out of convictions or just because they want to raise some hell, have turned a couple non-political threads (such as the James Doohan thread) into political cockfights.

Those RT v. Macross or weekly A1 v. Kieth M7 battles are fun to watch.

Personally, they get old fairly fast. Every now and then is okay, but weekly... no thanks.

And, frankly, I also believe that politics is simply too important to be handled in such a cavilier manner as "Bush = Palpatine" or "you liberal pussy."

We are talking about the future of our nation, dammit, not Macross 7 v. Macross Plus here, and it deserves a decorum it has sorely lacked for at least my entire lifetime, if not longer.

Too true.

I blame party politics. People pick a side and then just sit there booing the other guy, without even looking at what they're booing or why. It's easier than actually considering facts.

I for one am sick of some fat slob with a camera getting up there and comparing our president to Hitler, and then hearing some two-bit commentator say that Joe McCarthy was a great American hero. They add NOTHING to an already debased and debauched political atmosphere.

Seconded.

And, finally, I never accused anyone personally of being, as you put it, a "partisan robot." What I said is that, as I mentioned before, that there have been some people who, out of convictions or just because they want to raise some hell, have turned a couple non-political threads (such as the James Doohan thread) into political cockfights.

Reminds me... I did a research paper on medieval weapons back in high school. Was kind of surprised to see partisan pop up as a weapon name.

'S a nasty variant of spear. The design had an axeblade mated to the spearhead originally, though it evolved into sharp pointy prongs instead of an axe.

Either way, it was probably a nasty thing to be on the recieving end of, and I think we can all guess at why it was adopted for a political term.

Edited by JB0

flaming

326609[/snapback]

Said the pot to the kettle...

327075[/snapback]

Said the guy with the most panziest avatar EVER... By the way bitch, the avatar is me.