Armored Core Figure

wolfx

I haven't kept up with Armored Core. I remember going broke and getting "killed" in the first game so I could get body upgrades and be able to shoot an energy attack from the sword. :lol: My favorite thing was to have sword duels with friends in versus mode. :) Fun stuff!

I managed to complete the original ps1 game ages ago. It was a good game idea but the graphics were average. The best thing to do is get a bipedal mecha with a decent turning rate and a gun that has a fast rate of fire with powerful damage per shot.

At one of the last missions, the thing that allowed me to win was getting the last ace stuck in a corridor and mashing the fire button to wear the other guy down quicker than he could wear my mech down. (you end up having to take damage to do damage)

The only problem with the original is because the game is more sim than action, it didn't feel like there was as much skill in what you do and it is more a case of common sense. (controls are sluggish to give it that robot feel rather than being intense and responsive like Virtua On which is more close to my style) But there was a lot of variety in it and the customisation is fun.

I would love if from software could make a DS game like this. But use the bottom screen to put all the stats and indicators and have the top half for viewing. But instead of digital control pad for turning around, they use a system similar to what metroid prime hunters uses. (you have a virtual "mouse/look" mode to change direction and target)

there are some images of mechassault DS on ign here:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/811/811691/imgs_1.html

something like that would be good as a spin off from the main series(include an online mode and stuff)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I managed to complete the original ps1 game ages ago. It was a good game idea but the graphics were average. The best thing to do is get a bipedal mecha with a decent turning rate and a gun that has a fast rate of fire with powerful damage per shot.

At one of the last missions, the thing that allowed me to win was getting the last ace stuck in a corridor and mashing the fire button to wear the other guy down quicker than he could wear my mech down. (you end up having to take damage to do damage)

The only problem with the original is because the game is more sim than action, it didn't feel like there was as much skill in what you do and it is more a case of common sense. (controls are sluggish to give it that robot feel rather than being intense and responsive like Virtua On which is more close to my style) But there was a lot of variety in it and the customisation is fun.

I would love if from software could make a DS game like this. But use the bottom screen to put all the stats and indicators and have the top half for viewing. But instead of digital control pad for turning around, they use a system similar to what metroid prime hunters uses. (you have a virtual "mouse/look" mode to change direction and target)

there are some images of mechassault DS on ign here:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/811/811691/imgs_1.html

something like that would be good as a spin off from the main series(include an online mode and stuff)

412239[/snapback]

burnout.jpg

The original Armored Core was actually faster than the original Virtual On, if you had correctly customised the AC. Virtual On and Armored Core are also wholly different approaches to mecha gaming; Virtual On works around fixed length dashes with homing attacks, whereas Armored Core is more freeform in terms of movement and ballistics.

As for MechAssault...

Virtual On and Armored Core are also wholly different approaches to mecha gaming; Virtual On works around fixed length dashes with homing attacks, whereas Armored Core is more freeform in terms of movement and ballistics.

Yeah I didn't really end up experimenting much so maybe that had something to do with it. :D Twas a long time ago so memory is a little hazy. (1997 ffs) But I also had this other game called "carnage heart" that I did tinker alot with though. (you actually had to program the behaviour of the mech which was pretty cool.)

So you don't think mechassault on DS will be any good? I've never played the other games in the series before. I think I'll reserve judgement about it until the thing is finished. I think what the DS desperately needs is some form of online mech game using the touch screen. (whether it ends up as a sim or just mindless action with arcadey controls I don't mind.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

too bad things went bad with ACNEXUS & the rest...  :(

412376[/snapback]

Nexus and Ninbreaker I can understand. However they got their act together(for the most part) on Last Raven. I recommend it but you should (if you can) rent it first to see if its more to your liking. Then again its only 30 bucks so won't leave too big a hole in your wallet. Plus the game wreeks of nostalgia thanks to certain parts(coughYF-19headcough). Check this link out to see all the parts.

actually, the 1 thing that put me off the rest of AC was the reload thing.

having finished every game up to SL with my "staple" setup, & it fails me in NEXUS :angry:

exactly why does a chaingun need to reload every 20 rounds ???? or every other gun that's got a solid ammo magazine capacity higher than 20 !

maybe they were playing too many gundam games <_<

and up to the point i stopped playing nexus, i still couldn't find anything that could even compensate for it.

never woulda minded the higher heat, slower movement, & heavier parts, but when they took the chaingun's firepower, i was done with the game <_<

actually, the 1 thing that put me off the rest of AC was the reload thing.

having finished every game up to SL with my "staple" setup, & it fails me in NEXUS :angry:

exactly why does a chaingun need to reload every 20 rounds ???? or every other gun that's got a solid ammo magazine capacity higher than 20 !

maybe they were playing too many gundam games  <_<

and up to the point i stopped playing nexus, i still couldn't find anything that could even compensate for it.

never woulda minded the higher heat, slower movement, & heavier parts, but when they took the chaingun's firepower, i was done with the game <_<

412623[/snapback]

Ah yes the chain guns... I forgot about those. I definalty agree on chain guns should't have clips. I mean From could have thought of some other way to "balance"(AKA restrict) it out. I guess From worried that machine guns in general were used too much as spammer weapons.

I still use R Arm machine guns (because the reload time hasnt effect them much) but I have since dumped the shoulder chain guns for the more efficient Vert Missles for my staple AC. I must say it was the best switch I ever made.

If its any comfort, they have since nearly doubled the mag capacity for most solid weapons (esp. chain guns) so yeah. Then again maybe its not a comfort... :unsure:

:lol:

spammer guns ! :lol: true, but mostly in VS mode. yeah... had me a lot of kills with 'em :lol:

it's actually the comfort of having the ammo & firepower when you need it. especially on those extended missions & firefights. i used to be able to carry up to 900 rounds of solids in a mission & they were dependable.

now, you'd still be able to carry 900, but they go "click" after every 20, which meant bye bye dependable.... it's like they're prone to jamming now :lol:

nothing worse than losing the ability to shoot at the most inconvenient time :o

not to mention they're totally useless in "chase" missions now, most of the big targets need more than 20 rounds to go boom. "1,2,3,4... 20-click!" wastes a lot of time & gets your ass kicked by another AC :lol:

I loved the heat physics from AC2...but when it overheated really fast in AC3, I haven't played it since....

Did they change it? or does it still overheat really fast? (I boost a lot for my strategy...so it was a biggie when they changed it)

I loved the heat physics from AC2...but when it overheated really fast in AC3, I haven't played it since....

412657[/snapback]

If you think the heat mechanics are bad in AC3, try playing Nexus (for full dirt on the changes check here). Thankfull I have my AC tuned like a walking, shooting fridge so I'm good. ;)

Since when were machine guns useful in a chaser mission? :p Slap on me some hover legs and a sawa and I'm good to go! Then again there hasn't be a chaser mission since SL I think. (Chaser missions are when you have to chase down big and fast moving targets right?)

• 4 months later...

Was just wondering if anyone else was keeping up with these kits, checked out the option packs too and they look really cool. How popular are these things anyway? Looks like there's only 3 types with a 4th on the way. Anyone else with pictures of their builds? How difficult would these be for a beginner? I have an airbrush, but have never tried anything beyond an easy low vis color scheme. Thanks

Dax415