paneling

theboxgobbler

i i have seen some pretty normal valks out there but when you panel? them (paint in all the indentations black) it sure makes them look sweet. does anyone know how to do this and how easy it is or hard it is.

hi it is fairly easy to do, you can use gundam fine line paint markers, oil wash paint and someone on the site even used a very good high quality pencil. i would recommend practicing on something inexpensive first before you do this.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

yeah... what david said... I meant to say "mechanical pencil" :rolleyes: . To do it well you should join the navy and wash air planes so you know where "dark streaks" really are :rolleyes: . I joke because I fell off many a plane while washing them :blink:

• 2 months later...

My first attempt at paneling (tonight!) was done with 0.3 mm mechanical pencil, with H hardness lead. I like how the lines are a bit more subtle than with a standard No. 2 pencil, or marker. I think a real paint wash looks best, but for a novice with little time, the 0.3 mm pencil works pretty well (updated w/ better pics).

naked batteroid

strike

Edited by ghostryder

yeah... what david said... I meant to say "mechanical pencil" :rolleyes: . To do it well you should join the navy and wash air planes so you know where "dark streaks" really are :rolleyes: . I joke because I fell off many a plane while washing them :blink:

322565[/snapback]

Remember Kanata, first wash plane, THEN drink... :lol:

Also, yeah, that site is cool, but a word of caution. Pastel chalk panel lining is A PAIN IN THE ASS Yes, it looks cool, when you are done, but WOW is it painstaking wiping all that goo off. :rolleyes:

I wish I had seen that site before I did my first pastel chalk lining, I was freaking out thinking I was doing something wrong.. :lol:

You can't really see it too well here, but I did my Zaku desert scheme in Tamiya flats and then used a pastel chalk wash to dinge up the lines a bit. The cool thing about using the pastel chalk goo method is that it actually leaves grime in the grooves which is really cool when you consider dirt and dust interacting with lubricants etc, and leaving a general gunk on the mech...

zakuback.jpg

Edited by Mechamaniac