Fixing ripped Takatoku box windows

danth

Hey, I got an old Takatoku recently, and everything is great except for the ripped up plastic window. I'd like to restore it, and it seems that the plastic window is about the same size as an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. So I was thinking I could just use transparency paper. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there a better way? Aslo, what glue would bond the box cardboard to the transparent sheet?

i just thought of an idea for you too.find a toy in the toy store that has a window in it's box that's close to the size you need & cannibalize it from that toy's box.yes,buying that toy might be a waste,but if you look hard enough,you might find a really inexpensive item & a much better quality donor window for your box.i still agree with not using any type of glue.that taka box is old now & it's cardboard may not be sturdy enough to handle the diesel-assed glue that's out nowadays.some type of tape WOULD be best,but don't be to generous with it,you don't want it to look all ghetto-fied when your done. :ph34r:

Alright, the project is finished! Now I wish I had taken a "before" picture, because it looks pretty great. I used double-sided tape that is supposedly "photo safe" so it shouldn't corrode the box or plastic. I used transparency paper ($.50 from Staples for one sheet) and it worked fine.

Here's two pics: one with flash and one without.

post-1886-1123463444_thumb.jpg

post-1886-1123463458_thumb.jpg

I think the only thing I could have done better would be to use stiffer transparency paper (if it exists). There is one slight "wave" or "buckle" in the window because the plastic wasn't laid perfectly flat. Stiff paper could have helped me avoid that.

I think the only thing I could have done better would be to use stiffer transparency paper (if it exists). There is one slight "wave" or "buckle" in the window because the plastic wasn't laid perfectly flat. Stiff paper could have helped me avoid that.

318307[/snapback]

Oh yeah man, Christ that's horrible. If you want to though I'll buy it off you so you never have to look at your horrible hack job again.

j/k about the hack job stuff -

a little "elmers" works as well as tape. Not sure what the clear glue they originally used was but it sure wasn't crazy glue :blink:

I personally use "transfer papar, plotter style" as it comes in a roll and I can cut to fit damn near any size. I figured out a while back if I'm refurbing 1/55's, I might as well refurb the boxes when I can. That and it was my own dumb ass that busted the window of my 1/100 taka cf :blink:

If you want to get really hinky use a tinted plastic to shield your toy from harmful uv light... sunglass window for your toys B))

now if somebody would clue me on to how they make the really nice custom boxes... or even replacement styro inserts, I'd really be in business

Why not try your local hobby shop? Some carry transparancy paper in different mils and colors. I used this on an old Orguss Taka box for the same reason as you.

The method I used to stick the tranparancy film is a mini hot glue gun. It works great. Just be careful with the hot glue, that stuff really burns and hurts like heck.

NB4M :)

BTW, Nice job. ;)

Edited by nightmareB4macross