Kamen Rider the First

So they are making a new Kamen Rider Movie INSTEAD of a New tv series?

A new series will eventually come out next year. Just wait for further announcements from Toei.

Hibiki still has another 1/2 a year to go. By July/August, we should hear some rumors coming out about the next series.

Is this the show that was dubbed Masked Rider in the US?  I used to love that show.

Masked Rider was Saban's bastardization of Kamen Rider BLACK RX (1988), which was a distant sequel to the original 1971 TV series. For more information on the original Kamen Rider, here are some links:

Shotaro Ishinomori's Kamen Riders

Igadevil's Kamen Rider Page

Kamen Rider Movie Collection Review

Edited by areaseven

If they changed the color of the bike, maybe reversed its colors, it'd look sweet. But the color choice right now blows; the design I like though.

The Cyclone (not the transforming bike) has always been white, just like the General Lee being orange and K.I.T.T. being black.

cyclone01.jpg

Kamen Rider bikes have always been either street bikes or dirt bikes (majority being the latter). This new one is too much of a touring bike, and it's really awkward to see Kamen Rider just cruising around.

newcyclone01.jpg

This bike, on the other hand, looks like a worthy successor to the original Cyclone. I'm just not used to seeing bikes other than Suzukis as Kamen Rider bikes.

newcyclone02.jpg

Yes, remake of the original. I love the new armor the guys are wearing plus I'm liking the new bike better than seeing a dirt bike with all kinds of junk attached to it. Was there a theatrical release before this one?

Was there a theatrical release before this one?

Be more specific. The original series spawned three theatrical features (the first one being just episode 13 re-edited for the big screen). The recent titles (Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, 555 and Blade) had their own theatrical features; some being follow-ups to the TV storyline, others being completely alternate retellings (i.e. Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost). Kamen Rider Hibiki, the current series, will have a big screen feature (alongside the Magiranger movie) later this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got the movie back in the summer I think, and I must say it's actually spawned an interest in Kamen Rider for me now....the story felt a bit dragged on when they went to the hospital scenes with the two wasted characters (wasted cause their roles were just pointless for the movie which mainly focused on the two riders)

But it was a good movie honestly.

Good movie? Yes. Story-pacing....horrible. I watch most of my toku raw so I saw this as soon as someone ripped the DVD. The jump to the story about Cobra and Snake...that ruined the pace. I started skipping those scenes and jumped to the story on Hongo and Inchimonji.

• 2 months later...

Media Blastors got the rights to Kamen Rider The First and is due out next month 0_o....I didn't see this coming.

Also looks like Kabuto's going to end soon now that all the players are back, and the final appearance off Dark Kabuto.

http://www.media-blasters.com/main.html

[09.26.06]

ACQUISITIONS NEWS!

Tokyo Shock is proud to announce the acquisition of several titles, the two biggest being Zebraman and Devilman movie! In addition we also acquired Zoo, Kamen Rider First. Expect these titles in 2007 and look back for more acquisitions news soon!

Exactly! I thought the Cobra/Snake side story to it all was a HUGE waste.....the characters really didn't need to be introduced to the story at all, it should of just focused on the 3 main characters and Shocker.

it seems as if theyre trying to over-focus on everything....just like X-Men III. It wouldve been a good movie if they add more action and less focusing on that stupid snakes couple...

it seems as if theyre trying to over-focus on everything....just like X-Men III. It wouldve been a good movie if they add more action and less focusing on that stupid snakes couple...

I would call it a lack-of-focus. As I said, the story jumps from the Riders to Cobra/Snake at unusual points. The Cobra/Snake storyline was good, but the way it was handled in relation to the whole flow of events was poor. I actually did go back and watch the movie from end to end without skipping and it was horribly paced. The Cobra/Snake storyline comes from out of the blue and the viewer is expected to figure out why they are seeing this. At the end, we know, but at the beginning, it feels very disjointed.

I think this movie is pretty crappy, for what they have to work with. While all the original old Rider movies are pretty cheesy, they are actually fun to watch most of the time. You do feel like they really try to push what is 'cool' back in the 70s, regardless how bad it looks nowadays.

But for Rider The First, with all the back history, well written side stories, movies, comics, SIC for inspiration....and they come up with a really bad script and a bunch of really bad actors for a supposingly 'long awaited remake' of the classic. The Cobra/Snake side story is quite unnecessary, unless it is very well executed. The outcome is very predictable, and the segments made me want the kid just die off in the hospital early, especially with those horrible acting. The only good part is the Rider suits and lighting, making some scenes look pretty. But even the action is not very good and looks kind of fake (trying too hard to be cool and not really fighting). They should take more notes on HK cinema when it comes to action.

Really disappointed with this movie, and felt like any TV episodes of 555 is more entertaining than this.

I kind of disagree on some areas you spoke of....I thought action wise, the fight scenes were good till the end, then it was just "Good guy beaten up everyone" senario.

The start of the movie I think was fantastic, espically Hoppers transition into the movie.

The actors are good, these are pretty top ranked Drama actors in Japan, and I've really taken notice that some of these actors got their start on Sailor Moon too 0_o

The story does tend to die off with to many character introductions, and could of benefited with a triology form like many big shows....afterall we're compression ALOT of the original series into a feature length format.

But yeah, the Cobra/Snake side story was worthless and could of been better with them straight introduction into Shocker instead.

The actors are good, these are pretty top ranked Drama actors in Japan...

Its cool that you find more enjoyable parts from it, but I definitely can't agree on the above statement one bit. I've watched a good dose of Japanese TV drama, feature films, & hero shows. And those guys(all the lead characters) from The First got to be some of the very worst... :rolleyes: Just go watch the scene when the girl 'pretend' to cry when her boyfriend got killed in the park at night by the Spider Otoko. :lol: If that is some top performance from Japan actors(which isn't), then I feel very sorry for their film industry. :p

For a good remake of the classic Riders, the Kamen Rider Spirits manga would be your only choice so far.

Hikuro, don't mean to start an argument or anything though, and cool that there are Rider fans on this board. Just disagreeing on a point or two.

Edited by mpchi