GameCube drops to $99.99

Jolly Rogers

Yeah

X-Box is slightly ahead of Gamecube, but the PS2 is lightyears beyond both of them. Which I find hilarious because it really is an inferior console... vastly inferior... to both of its competitors.

I think the GameCube will pull ahead of the X-Box... but I don't think either one will touch the PS2. Its a real pity too because I've never been impressed by the PS2. :(

Which I find hilarious because it really is an inferior console... vastly inferior... to both of its competitors.

which is a good example that great graphics and faster processing can't compete with a good and wide library of games.

Which I find hilarious because it really is an inferior console... vastly inferior... to both of its competitors.

which is a good example that great graphics and faster processing can't compete with a good and wide library of games.

Good library is debatable. So many games... they ought to get some of them right. And besides good games on the PS2 are a minority compared to bad games. <_<

The Game Cube turned 99 simply because it was the cheaper console. There was no where else to go. :)

Yeah, but I've noticed that the majority of the games out for PS2 are utter crap. People always bring up "Flavor of the Month" titles when asked about PS2.

PS2 is proof that there's strength in;

a. Being there first.

b. Having a shitload of titles. For better or worse.

Now people rip on the Gamecube for having so few games, but the ratio of good games to bad games is in Nintendo's favor. The same is true for the X-Box I think... but to a lesser degree.

I miss the good old days of Genesis and SNES when EVERY game came out for both of them, save VERY few choice titles.

a. Being there first.

I agree with B, but not A, cause remember Saturn and Dreamcast was the first respectively and we all know how that went. :lol:

Yeah, but I've noticed that the majority of the games out for PS2 are utter crap. People always bring up "Flavor of the Month" titles when asked about PS2.

a. Being there first.

Now people rip on the Gamecube for having so few games, but the ratio of good games to bad games is in Nintendo's favor. The same is true for the X-Box I think... but to a lesser degree.

I miss the good old days of Genesis and SNES when EVERY game came out for both of them, save VERY few choice titles.

I totally agree. :ph34r:

a. Being there first.

I agree with B, but not A, cause remember Saturn and Dreamcast was the first respectively and we all know how that went. :lol:

For one... the Saturn was sold for about $100 more then the PSX. Second.... it did poorly in japan. Third.... back then Sega had no idea what they were doing anymore.

As for the DC.... it was far better then the PS2, but most companies were caught up in the Sony hype machine to bother with the DC. The DC was also doing poorly in Japan.... which was what decided which console lived and which did not. And besides.... Sega was on their last legs during the DC, there was no way it would survive if its parent company had absolutly no money.

Pretty funny how everyone replied to Ladic with the same thing. :lol:

I think the PS2 does so well is because no matter how many times a PS2 system stops working, there are people who go out and buy new systems. <_<

Heck... in Japan they buy a PS2 simply because its a new version. <_<

And besides... since the PSX was a huge success.... most ppl only know the PS name. Like most ppl only knew the name nintendo back in the day.

LoL

My Dreamcast is right next to my gamecube and I still play it. The two people in closest proximity to me with PS2s don't play them... they're over in my room playing Final Fantasy Tactics(on PS1), Rival Schools 2(DC) and Tech Romancer(DC)... not to mention Smash Bros, Soul Calibur 2, etc... on GC.

Meanwhile their PS2's lie untouched...

I thought long and hard about getting a PS2... but after examining its games list/features etc.. I decided that it was not the console for me.. despite its popularity. I did miss out on Twisted Metal: Black... but I suppose it wasn't meant to be... :(

Yeah....what can you do though?

I'm keeping my Gamecube for the new Zelda and Metroid (both utilizing their respective Wind Waker and Prime game engine's). Ditto for Mario Kart Double Dash and the potential for a Kid Icarus sequel (can you hear me Miyamoto). B)

LoL

My Dreamcast is right next to my gamecube and I still play it. The two people in closest proximity to me with PS2s don't play them... they're over in my room playing Final Fantasy Tactics(on PS1), Rival Schools 2(DC) and Tech Romancer(DC)... not to mention Smash Bros, Soul Calibur 2, etc... on GC.

I thought long and hard about getting a PS2... but after examining its games list/features etc.. I decided that it was not the console for me.. despite its popularity. I did miss out on Twisted Metal: Black... but I suppose it wasn't meant to be... :(

The DC rocks. Grandia 2 was nice (although not as nice as the first one), Tech Romance, Bangai-oh, Virtual On 2, Soul Calibur, all 2d Capcom and SNK games you can think off, that only a Sega console seems to be be able to pull off with perfection. And lets not forget Skies of Arcadia.

And most important.... they had something most companies now a days seem to neglect.... VGA adapters!! :angry:

Hey, Max, how is Tech Romancer? I never had a chance to play it and have a chance to get it super cheap.

My PS2 (actually 2nd since the first stopped working despite limited use and good care) was more or less stolen from me and it never bothered me one bit. That's how much I was bored with the console.

Edited by Jemstone

I think the majority of games these days are crap on every system. I think the gems I want are mostly at the PS2 camp. There are games I want at Xbox and cube, but not in a quantity that make buying a system worth it for me. I almost got a gamecube when metroid came out, that was the closest I ever came, but it just didn't get me enough.

I want to say the magic price is 79-59 bucks for GC, but the honest answer is it's not. At this point I want to see what nintendos does. In this day and age all systems have to be backwards compatable in order to be competitive, so I'm willing to hold out for N's next system and pic up the the games I like from Cube when it launches. Same with Xbox.

I try to put in as much time to both my GC and PS2 as possible. I'm gettin mighty selective when it comes to buying . Nowadays, thanks to friends, I don't have to buy all the newest . I can wait a couple weeks and borrow it from them (Saved me from buying .hack vol 2 and Matrix). My two latest are F-ZeroGX and SSX Tricky PS2 ($15 and an auto reserve for SSX3), and I'm loving both of them.

And so the Long Night of the Playstation continues...

Popularity is enough to carry a system. These days, no one in their right mind would compare the Genesis to the SNES. The SNES had better games, better graphics, a better controller, yet back in the day people would swear up and down that the Genesis had better graphics, and that the SNES controller had too many buttons. This same mob mentality is probably what carries the PS2 today. It's the "cool" system. All your friends have one, so you should get one too. Micro$oft is evil and the Cube is for Kids.

Oh, Nintendo is the first of the big three to announce their new system, which is apparently scheduled to be out way ahead of the competition. This might be partially responsible for the price drop, but I think it's still too early for that. Nintendo's new system probably won't be out until 2005.

Pretty funny how everyone replied to Ladic with the same thing.  :lol:

I think the PS2 does so well is because no matter how many times a PS2 system stops working, there are people who go out and buy new systems.  <_<

oro? *knock on wood* mine is stil up and running

So is mine... and mine is one of the earlier generation models.

As much as I love the DC, I hardly play it these days. That nasty noise its drive makes just makes me prefer spending more time with the PS2 even though there are more fun games on the DC.

PS2 may be the lamest console out right now, but Sony was smart to keep it backwards compatible. Even if PS1 and PS2 have a big crap-to-good-games ratio, it still ends up with more games people want to play than the other 2 systems. Having a Macross game coming certainly doesn't hurt any. Folks like Graham won't buy the Cube even if it's $0.99 if it doesn't have a Macross game. :D

So is this price drop a good thing or a bad thing for Nintendo?

Do you guys think it means that they are just trying to grab more of the market share, or maybe releasing a new version and they need to get the old ones out? (like someone else said)

I mean for $99, I might just get one, but I don't want to miss a better version of the console a few months down the road... Any thoughts here?

Heck I'm torn between a GC and a PS2. Both have games I like to play (Final Fantasy, Metroid etc), both have games that are coming out that I want to play, and I have cash lying around. I don't know about the PS2 though. When I buy a product, I expect it to work properly...

Plus when I got the DC for christmas, I was quite happy with it... And then a month later Sega announced its cancellation... Oh well... At least I got a lot of the quality titles for dirt cheap!

Plus Skies of Arcadia rocks. I might try out the GC version one day...

I think the PS2 does so well is because no matter how many times a PS2 system stops working, there are people who go out and buy new systems.  <_<

You are on of the few lucky ones along with Jolly there. Like I am with my PS1 which even after being modded still works. Still, they aren't exactly the longest lasting systems made.

I'm on my 3rd PS2. The first one get its vent damaged... couldn't work for no more then 15 minutes. Contacted Sony... they told me it would take 2 months to fix for a price of $300.

The 2nd one... get the oh so common "Read disc error" at first only with CDs, then with PS1 games, then PS2 CD-ROM based, then DVD movies and then finally DVD-ROM based games. Didn't bother with Sony this time around.

Oh... and with my PSX.... I burned through 5 different controllers in 2 years. All of them... with the same problem, the left d-pa arrow would get stuck for some reason. Tried opening them up and cleaning whatever sign of "stickyness" they presented.... nothing.

Heh heh heh...

I bought a PS2 back when they first came out... and sold it shortly after...

I bought an X-Box when it came out... and sold it shortly after...

I bought a Game Cube when the price dropped to $149... and sold it shortly after...

About the only "game system" I have ever dumped tons and tons of money into and only got rid of so I could get a better, faster one is my PC.

PC rules.

Would anyone care to comment on my post above?

And just for the record... I haven't had any problems with my PS2 thus far, and it has gotten some really heavy use from myself, my roomates, and friends.

I'm on my 3rd PS2. The first one get its vent damaged... couldn't work for no more then 15 minutes. Contacted Sony... they told me it would take 2 months to fix for a price of $300.

The 2nd one... get the oh so common "Read disc error" at first only with CDs, then with PS1 games, then PS2 CD-ROM based, then DVD movies and then finally DVD-ROM based games. Didn't bother with Sony this time around.

Oh... and with my PSX.... I burned through 5 different controllers in 2 years. All of them... with the same problem, the left d-pa arrow would get stuck for some reason. Tried opening them up and cleaning whatever sign of "stickyness" they presented.... nothing.

hehehe, you must've been slamming on those d-pads for that to happen. Only time I've seen something like that happen on a controller is at toys r us when you get to try out the games. You must be rough on the controllers! :p:D:lol:

Do you guys think it means that they are just trying to grab more of the market share, or maybe releasing a new version and they need to get the old ones out? (like someone else said)

I mean for $99, I might just get one, but I don't want to miss a better version of the console a few months down the road... Any thoughts here?

It will be longer than a few months. I don't anticipate Nintendo's new system until second quarter 2005. $99 is the price of 2 games; it doesn't get any cheaper here. And considering the GC has the best library of games available, there's no reason not to buy one.

So is mine... and mine is one of the earlier generation models.

As much as I love the DC, I hardly play it these days. That nasty noise its drive makes just makes me prefer spending more time with the PS2 even though there are more fun games on the DC.

PS2 may be the lamest console out right now, but Sony was smart to keep it backwards compatible. Even if PS1 and PS2 have a big crap-to-good-games ratio, it still ends up with more games people want to play than the other 2 systems. Having a Macross game coming certainly doesn't hurt any. Folks like Graham won't buy the Cube even if it's $0.99 if it doesn't have a Macross game. :D

mine was when they did the r revision. I got one and then traded it in for the r varient. my ps2 is even modded to play imports/.

cube did have the robotech gmae lol. anyhow. the only system of the current systems I odnt; have is the x-box. my friend ahs one Iand I dont; liek the games. who cares which ocnsoul is mro epopular etc. jstu buy what you like.

And so the Long Night of the Playstation continues...

Popularity is enough to carry a system. These days, no one in their right mind would compare the Genesis to the SNES. The SNES had better games, better graphics, a better controller, yet back in the day people would swear up and down that the Genesis had better graphics, and that the SNES controller had too many buttons. This same mob mentality is probably what carries the PS2 today. It's the "cool" system. All your friends have one, so you should get one too. Micro$oft is evil and the Cube is for Kids.

Oh, Nintendo is the first of the big three to announce their new system, which is apparently scheduled to be out way ahead of the competition. This might be partially responsible for the price drop, but I think it's still too early for that. Nintendo's new system probably won't be out until 2005.

i got the genesisi. did not like it. got the snes lovedit. psx and s2 are good consouls and I have a few good game si like to play on both. I also own a game cube which is definatly not a kiddy system and I enjoy that and my gba immencly.

my collection of games

no they want to sell more conouls in christmass. presents esp cheap ones are good. buy a gaem cube and aps2. i love both mine