This look familiar to anyon else

0Coota0

This was just discussed in the Other Anime & Sci Fi forum in a topic about ExoSquad, but Playmates did in fact use the Robotech license to manufacture destroids, along with a few other toys (like an Invid Trooper). There's debate over whether or not they were actually ever going to be used in the series before it got cancelled, but I guess we'll never know that.

Yeah, I've got a few of these. I think they must have re-released them at some point, because I picked them up not more than 3 or so years ago from Kaybee. I just happened to be in there, and saw a lot of these on the clearance rack, and snatched up one of each they had. I don't think the packaging was the same as you see on that site (then again, it was a while back). Anyway, the point being I don't think they had them leftoever sitting in stock all the way from the mid-80's.

They weren't great, but not horrible, either. The Spartan was pretty nice, from what I recall.

Yeah, I've got a few of these. I think they must have re-released them at some point, because I picked them up not more than 3 or so years ago from Kaybee. I just happened to be in there, and saw a lot of these on the clearance rack, and snatched up one of each they had. I don't think the packaging was the same as you see on that site (then again, it was a while back). Anyway, the point being I don't think they had them leftoever sitting in stock all the way from the mid-80's.

They weren't great, but not horrible, either. The Spartan was pretty nice, from what I recall.

I think ExoSquad was an early 90s show.

Not that it matters.

My local KayBee still has toys from the 80s.

If anyone needs a Terminator 2 toy, I know where to get one.

Yeah, I noticed that, too, a good many years back when they came out. Cheap remakes of cheap Destroids. I guess they got a battletech license or something.

— Gregory

The best part about those ugly vermings is that you can customize them easily and make them look like this

post-4-1064455517.gif

Exosquad re-released a bunch of the old robtech stuff. Most of it is eactly like the original released stuff. The only things I can see that are different between the glaug and tactical pods are the color or the plastic and the decal sheet. Same applies for all the 7" destroids and power armors and invid stuff. The re-issue vf-1 is much different however, though both versions suck. The original one was originally designed to be transformable and then made non-transformable. As such it could be made into a transfrmable one with some work. It had arms that were seperte from each other and had hands. The reissue has a solid mas of arms with no hands. Both had shoulder hinges however, though they had no functional purpose without modification.

Don't get either vf. If you have to get one, get an original. The plastic mecha are functionally the same.

I personnally think the original takatoku/bandai/matchbox 1/144 3" destroids were better. They came packaged in styrafoam and some had to have parts attached like a wanna be HCM. The rereleased 3" came in either Civil Defense or Tactical Corps paint schemes, like the originals. Unlike the originals they did not have removable pieces or near the ammount of die-cast :lol:

The best thing about them is that they were cheap and could be used to assemble armies for table top gaming.

Here is a pic of four of the ones stamped bandai in their styrafoam. You can see the removable bits and so forth.

Edited by kanata67

The best part about those ugly vermings is that you can customize them easily and make them look like this

Attached Image
Dphalanx01.gif

For those of you not familiar with this, this particular Phalanx appeared (IIRC) in the TV series. As far as I can remember from a screenshot taken -- which sadly I forgot to save a copy -- the head unit is correctly represented.

The speculation here at that time was that this is possibly a war correspondent's Phalanx, hence the extra optics.

As for the Exosquad Macross toys -- they ain't the greatest. Very limited mobility and near zero posability. But for some of us they are the only Destroids available.