About to buy 1st 1/48th - Advice?

Luclin999

Up until now I have been focusing on picking up only items in 1/55th scale in order to keep my original Jetfire company. For this reason I have focused on Toynami and Bandai pieces because the only Yamato ones I had ever seen were in 1/60th and looked puny next to the rest of the collection.

However I have been reading about the Yamato 1/48th scale pieces and am becoming tempted to buy one.

What I am looking for is advice one what to expect from one of these.

How durable/solid are they compared to Bandai or Toynami 1/55 versions?

What parts of them are prone to wear/breakage that I should be careful with?

Are there any editions/varients to avoid all together?

Anything else I should know about these pieces?

Sorry to ask so many questions but a decsion to spend $150-$200 on a single mecha (as opposed to getting 4-5 for that much) tends to make me extremely cautious.

Thank you

Leo

well, after what happened to Renegadeleader, I'm glad you asked first... :p

The Yamatos are nowhere near as durable as the 1/55s and the Jetfire... but that's because those damn Bandais are heavy freakin duty Chogokin quality mofos.

To me the 1/48s aren't as delicate as people say. Once you get to know the transformation sequence and learn how each part fit with each other you should be ok. Just don't force anything that won't move the way it's not suppose to.

As far as avoiding any, I'd say just avoid the first edition Hiharu and Roy. They have some minor problems with parts that easily fall off and crooked skulls on the tail.

Also you'll find that some have already skyrocketed in price. The only one that seems like it'll never see reissue is the overpriced lowVis. While some other recent releases haven't been reissued, there's no "limited edition" markings on their boxes that limits them from ever being rereleased. Just price them to see which one is most affordable for you. Or wait for the CF coming later this year.

Up until now I have been focusing on picking up only items in 1/55th scale in order to keep my original Jetfire company. For this reason I have focused on Toynami and Bandai pieces because the only Yamato ones I had ever seen were in 1/60th and looked puny next to the rest of the collection.

However I have been reading about the Yamato 1/48th scale pieces and am becoming tempted to buy one.

What I am looking for is advice one what to expect from one of these.

How durable/solid are they compared to Bandai or Toynami 1/55 versions?

Sorry to ask so many questions but a decsion to spend $150-$200 on a single mecha (as opposed to getting 4-5 for that much) tends to make me extremely cautious.

Thank you

Leo

Better hurry. The 1/48's are getting expensive and scarce. $150 or more seems to be the norm for a regular non fast pack 1/48. Forget it dropping in price. I only hope they release the 2 seaters and anything else except more VF-1's :p:lol: .

1. The back chest plate that needs to be pressed in to make the backpack booster sit more flush with the back in battroid mode, especially needed if you find FAST packs to put them on. There are these two little nubs that are very prone to wear, as you need to push past them to lock it in place. To this one side at a time, and carefully. They don't break, just tend to wear out quickly.

Landing gear bay doors. These have the littel nubs that tend to wear out quickly too. Open them carefullly and do not forcefully push them in. Thye actually do tend to snap rather than wear out, and you'll end up with a loose door.

Head lasers - especially with the VF-1S, for goodness sake do not move them by the laser. Use the turret to turn them.

2. I agree with EXO, just the first ed of the Hikaru VF-1A and Roy VF-1S.

Oh, and the Low Vis, especially if it is under 200 USD. Don't ask why, just PM me immediately,and don't tell anyone else. :lol::ph34r:

3. Buy it when you get the chance. Don't wait, or else the only retailer you can depend on in the end is ebay or *gasp* TISINC.

Consider the TV Max/Miriya...

If you're like me, and don't want a HUGE collection, just 1 or 2, the TV Max/Miriya are relatively cheap (around $170USD) and come with FAST Packs!

If you buy a Hikaru, Roy, or DRYL Max (or the up coming CF), you're going to have to shell out a lot more big bucks for the FAST Packs, which are very hard to come by!

I agree with the other guys here - you should get it, cause they are great. Highly detalied and very durable (assuming that you won't be dropping one for a crash landing). Just handle with care, and since you are a collector I assume that you will, and everything will turn out fine.

I have two (including a first edition Hikaru VF-1A) and the QC continues to improve on these things. Watch out for the backpack piece (BP8), as it tends to break if you put too much stress on it. Also, be careful with the heatshield when transforming to battroid mode, as the little plastic tabs could possibly snap off leaving your valk vulnerable in battroid mode. :)

That being said, mine are not broken and I had to figure out how to transform them with no instructions! :p So you should be just fine!

Oh, and I almost forgot.............BUY THE 1/48! :D

Hope this helps!

Edited by valkyrie312

Be very patient when looking for it. If I had known that the fast packs were so overpriced I would have forked out the extra $43 when I had the chance.

Remember that you will most probably have to pay S&H. That could be from 0 to 40 bucks more, depends on the shop.

Yesasia lists the normal VF-1J for $168 including S&H but under availability it says "usually ships within 30 days".

People in this forum think that they might re-release some stuff when the GBP armor is released, but who knows.

Good luck :)

Side note: Man, is Tsinc overpriced!

armentage Posted on Jun 3 2005, 07:33 AM

If you buy a Hikaru, Roy, or DRYL Max (or the up coming CF), you're going to have to shell out a lot more big bucks for the FAST Packs, which are very hard to come by!

Well, I'm hoping common sense will prevail among the folks over at YAMATO and they'll see that releasing more 1/48 FP's would mean more money for them :) .

Oh, and LUCLIN999, welcome to the forums :) !

Edited by connor99

Thank you for the information.

At the moment I am looking at either a TV version Max or Millia Super or a VF-1A Hikaru (I would love a Movie Max but cannot find any atm).

I was a bit concerned after reading about all the people who had experienced breakage but I don't intend to handle/transform the piece all that much (I play with my Bandai VF-1s and Jetfires when I feel the urge to transform things.) :D

Just as a reference, I own three of the Toynami VF-1s and I am gentle enough with those that I have not had any breakage/problems with them at all. I actually like my "Roy" and "Max" Toynami's but I found out why a lot of people bash the line after buying my "Rick" last week. A -very- shoddy piece of work when compared to the other two I own. (Fortunately I haven't paid more than $40 for any of the Toynami's which is about what I feel they are worth).

I think that due to the size difference I'll probably put the 1/48th on the shelf with my SDF-1 rather than on the shelf with the 1/55ths.

BP8, which has already been mentioned: Do not attempt to make the folded tail fins on the backpack level with the searchlights on the shoulder. Doing so will probably break part BP8. It's supposed to be slightly below the level of the search lights on the shoulder.

I picked up a Super 1J Milia, and I'm having loads of fun with it. I also picked up some of Devin's waterslide decals, and so far they're going on great!

Thank you for the information.

At the moment I am looking at either a TV version Max or Millia Super or a VF-1A Hikaru (I would love a Movie Max but cannot find any atm).

I was a bit concerned after reading about all the people who had experienced breakage but I don't intend to handle/transform the piece all that much (I play with my Bandai VF-1s and Jetfires when I feel the urge to transform things.) :D

Just as a reference, I own three of the Toynami VF-1s and I am gentle enough with those that I have not had any breakage/problems with them at all. I actually like my "Roy" and "Max" Toynami's but I found out why a lot of people bash the line after buying my "Rick" last week. A -very- shoddy piece of work when compared to the other two I own. (Fortunately I haven't paid more than $40 for any of the Toynami's which is about what I feel they are worth).

I think that due to the size difference I'll probably put the 1/48th on the shelf with my SDF-1 rather than on the shelf with the 1/55ths.

Yes I have the toynami VF-1s and yes they are worthless compared to the 1/48s (which I have as well.) Why do you think I sold my extra toynamis? Max is getting scarce to find and thanks to tinsc, the prices are way up there especially on ebay.

Get the 1/48s. It is worth the money and piece of mind.

Ok, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru.

Total of $132 shipped.

Most expensive toy I have ever bought before this was $70 for a Robosapien and the Valk can't even dance! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be sure to post/comment when it arrives.

Leo

Total of $132 shipped.

Most expensive toy I have ever bought before this was $70 for a Robosapien and the Valk can't even dance! :lol:

Leo

Where did you get that from?

Total of $132 shipped.

Most expensive toy I have ever bought before this was $70 for a Robosapien and the Valk can't even dance!  :lol:

Leo

$132 shipped. BS, I say. Don't you just hate it when someone doesn't provide a link to substantiate their claim <_<:p:D:lol: .

Total of $132 shipped.

Most expensive toy I have ever bought before this was $70 for a Robosapien and the Valk can't even dance!  :lol:

Leo

$132 shipped. BS, I say. Don't you just hate it when someone doesn't provide a link to substantiate their claim <_<:p:D:lol: .

Yeah, tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Total of $132 shipped.

Leo

Yeah, tell me about it. :rolleyes:

<_< Well, that is his business. I don't like to post exact details of my purchases and dealings, because I get things that don't seem fair to the average buyer. I actually buy from a lot more people than I have in my sig, the only reason why I list them is because they provide the best serivce.

Good find Leo BTW. :) The Hikaru VF-1S is a good valk, aside from the very loose airbrake issue. There is a 71% chance that it will be loose. But the guy has the only DYRL? Pilot and other improvements!

Edited by kensei

I've always loved the 1/55 series. And when I learned about the 1/48 Yamatos', I was still very much in love w/ the 1/55 series. Yamato 1/48 still didn't cut it for me. But just recently, I bought my first set: VF-1S H. Ichijo and Super/Strike armor pack ($250 from chowser) for the purpose of evalutation and inspection. And I was curious so I got one just to see what it was like. Surprisingly, it did not take long until I fell in love w/ it. I was like damnnn....it was a lot better in person than from the pictures.

The Yamato 1/48 has the latest and the greatest technology compared to the 1/55 series. I like the new sandy/ruff texture of the surface, the big 1/48 scale, the highly details from every components, the rubber tires, the removable hatches and covers, and the fact that the GU-11 can be installed under the belly in fighter mode!!! There's a lot more to it too.

At this point, without a question, I can say that I love the Yamato 1/48 series as much as the 1/55 series. Wait, okay just a little bit more than the 1/55 series :-). I only wish the boxes for the 1/48 would look and feel like the old school Takatoku or Bandai though. Especially, the art works from the Takatoku and Bandai would be great too.

So yeah, if you plan to invest in the 1/48 Yamato I say go for it man cuz you won't be disapointed.

Ryver

U.S. Navy

My wife's family lives overseas (Taiwan) and pointed me towards the place I ordered it from.

However, I have yet to receive a confirmation email from them so I may -not- have the item :unsure:

If they come through and it arrives in good shape I'll go ahead and hand out the details but until then I am not going to point people towards a place which may or may not be reputable.

Leo