First try for weathering

Rodavan

not at all i think it looks great, are you planning on doing more to it?

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

The model does look GREAT... I just thought I'd add some constructive criticism since you asked. You didn't over do it, but it looks a little inconsistent. I'd focus on the joints and heavy wear parts like the feet, hatches, etc. Ya know what I mean? Also a little chipped paint technique could be a nice touch too. Once again GREAT MODEL!

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

I have to agree that it looks more like mottled camo than wear and tear... you might wanna think about making chips in the paint job and streaks where water has settled and stuff around the contour of protrusions and stuff... I dont relaly know how to explain it on a CGI model, but if it were a miniature, I could give you a dozen ways to do it lol.

It's CG , but the idea is to get it as realistic as possible .... weathering is kind of an art.

I think guys in this forum can judge better that I can ...

I treat my models as if they are kits , that's why I started building CG macross models, these are done in such a way that they can used to cut moulds or be "grown" with rapid prototyping. :p

it looks scarily real! Can you place it in front of a 'matte' background of a photo of a workbench with paint bottles etc? then nobody would be able to tell.

And not that I am that great at weathering, but my 2cents I would be to remove the sideways black spray across the middle of the main body and the 2 spray marks just below the lasers on it's head (in the rear pic). And maybe put some weathering along the panel line on its hips (also in the rear pic)?

Did someone say camo ? <_<:huh::ph34r:

ROD, generally, I love your work.. but that's one fugly job... I'd shoot that one down first...

Hope you didn't pay too much for that kit... ;)

:Dat

so how many trillions of polys is your model?

Also I would like how you got the skin looking so good? using uvmap with a realy large image file or using the surface materials that are included with the 3d program?

I must admit, that's one weird assed camo scheme.... I really like it, but it seems odd on a Battlepod. Looks really nice tho, with the colors of it, I was was afraid at first that you were gonna say you had chipped uo the blue and I was like 'er...a little much mate'. That'a a really neat camo, but Im not sure what it'll hide it from ;)

Maybe when it hides underwater? :huh:

Interesting camo, but I'd go with a desert or forest scheme or even a low vis one.

-_- I wonder what a "space" camo would look like? Hmmm.....

-_- I wonder what a "space" camo would look like? Hmmm.....

Black with lots of little lights? :lol:

I can't say that the camo scheme appeals to me Rod but it certainly serves to break up the pod's outline quite well, in the correct enviroment it would be very effective.

Thanks for all responses , I think the camo makes it look .....different , one of a kind :p

I am keeping the "camo" , if anybody has some other ideas , let me know .....

Is he ready for the Finescale forum ? :p

post-3-1117109588_thumb.jpg