Who's your favorite Star Trek Captain?

UN Spacy

Logic dictates that you choose wisely.  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Logic dictates that you choose wisely.

• Captain James T. Kirk
    • Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    • Captain Benjamin Sisko
    • Captain Kathryn Janeway
    • Captain Jonathan Archer

Well, he was stabbed but he still continued his "brash, cocky and arrogant ways." I believe he told Riker in the end of Tapestries, that his heart stabbing experience wasn't the last time that he fought with the Norsicans. I'm a little foggy on Trek trivia, but I'm sure there are a few more examples of Picard being far more animated than his stuffed shirt model of perfection, as seen on TNG. I would agree that maybe Picard was getting old...REALLY old....

Try looking at it from a new point of view: imagine that you were a red shirt or command staff under any of the captains and had to report to them like any sort of regular job.

I'm pretty sure I would frickin hate to have a boss like Kirk, since the guy would be all over the place emotionally and probably contradict his own orders half the time. I've had plenty of douchey bosses like that before and they usually come off as being either wishy washy or they take credit for your accomplishments, or blame their faults on everyone else (oh wait, maybe I'm confusing that with the actual Shatner). Kirk is a lousy head cheese in that regard.

Picard... the model example of what a captain should be: wise, diplomatic, fair, knowledgeable, admits when he is at fault, predictable, an ideal manager. I'd love to have this guy as my boss. Some say he's a bland guy, but really, if you had a daily job where your life was in his hands, would you really want a cocky man with a hairtrigger and penchant for dramatics giving you orders to transport to certain death as an Ensign Unnameable?

Sisko - another great guy to work with. He's just as balanced as Picard, possibly even more so since he's a family man. He's a bit more emotional too, with him either bellowing out orders or whispering them. He's a proven manager that had to balance the needs of resident aliens from different cultures on his space station while protecting the planet below from outside threats. Running a Federation space station around Bajor is probably much like running a military naval base in another allied country, so he's no slacker.

Janeway - she doesn't stand out IMO. It seemed to me that she was constantly trying to keep things together at the seams with a staff that constantly questioned her judgement or countermanned her direct orders at times. I didn't believe in her command presence.

Archer - wasn't this guy in Quantum Leap? I never watched this show, so I have no idea how he'd be.

I think that was the downfall really of TNG.

...Paramount made those changes to comply more with Rodenberry's 'exploration of space' idea. A large colony vessel with a sizeable population, outfitted to deal with anything. Since a minority complained about how Kirk would have been shot if he were a real captain, Picard's character corrected the flaw by putting him on the ship.

Obviously though this makes for boring television, and portrays the captain as a wuss who stays on the ship all the time while the rest of the crew go down exploring.

I think the 'strange alien world' dynamic is better in TOS because everything was new and unsual- the Enterprise was really going where no man has gone before. Starfleet wasn't as big and Federation space was ripe with ancient evils and strange aliens with whimsical mirrors ;) corney a bit, but it was good.

In TNG, everything's been pacified. The Enterprise isn't much of an explorer vessel as it is an armed luxury liner. It doesn't seem to go many places outside of Federation territory and seems to be stuck on hand-holding missions. That's probably why the -D is the "love Boat in space'- because that's where all the drama was. Ultimately, it failed to give ST fans what they wanted.

One would think Voyager was better suited for TOS fans but personally for me, it failed. The dynamic of a ship running far away from supplies was never reinforced in the series. I think the producers wanted the seasons to be more or less modular, so they didn't relate directly to one another (except within seasons perhaps, and with some characters... but no lasting damage for tens of episodes at a time). I mean even the new BSG seems to have more contiuity than Voyager did, and I hate that series even more than Voyager itself.

Enterprise suffered the problems of B&B's mishandling of the franchise. From what I can tell, Archer's character was caught between the confusing, contradictorary writing style of B&B and his better performances in the fourth season (except the last episode). I haven't seen seasons 1-3 personally, since I gave up watching ENT around the end of Season one...only to pick up at Season four. I felt Archer's character in season four was a good balance between Kirk and Picard, but he was never given the oppertunity to shine in his true light because of the death of Ent.

And I think Kirk looked much more convincing in his fight scenes during the TOS run. Not too long ago I was wathing a TNG episode where Picard was fighting four klingons at once... and couldn't help but laugh.

Edited by Boxer

And I think Kirk looked much more convincing in his fight scenes during the TOS run. Not too long ago I was wathing a TNG episode where Picard was fighting four klingons at once... and couldn't help but laugh.

349570[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me. There's quite a few episodes where he would knock someone out with a judo chop to the back of the neck ala Austin Powers! He would use that goofy two handed hammerblow to a man's back and knock him out... How in the world do you knock a person out with a hammerblow to the back?! Hell, if he was that effective with that move, he shoulda been a PRIDE Full Contact champion! Knockout via hammerblow, 5 seconds into the first round, Kirk wins!!!!

The funniest move I ever saw Kirk pull off was where Chekov or Sulu went nuts and tried to fight him in the medical bay. Chekov lunged with his knife while there was a bed between them. Hilariously enough, Chekov came up a whole foot short, so Kirk actually pulled on Chekov's wrist pulling him so Chekov was face down over the bed and followed it up with a judo chop to the back. A JUDO CHOP TO THE SHOULDER BLADES!!! RENDERING HIM UNCONSCIOUS! :lol::lol::lol:

349570[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me. There's quite a few episodes where he would knock someone out with a judo chop to the back of the neck ala Austin Powers! He would use that goofy two handed hammerblow to a man's back and knock him out... How in the world do you knock a person out with a hammerblow to the back?! Hell, if he was that effective with that move, he shoulda been a PRIDE Full Contact champion! Knockout via hammerblow, 5 seconds into the first round, Kirk wins!!!!

The funniest move I ever saw Kirk pull off was where Chekov or Sulu went nuts and tried to fight him in the medical bay. Chekov lunged with his knife while there was a bed between them. Hilariously enough, Chekov came up a whole foot short, so Kirk actually pulled on Chekov's wrist pulling him so Chekov was face down over the bed and followed it up with a judo chop to the back. A JUDO CHOP TO THE SHOULDER BLADES!!! RENDERING HIM UNCONSCIOUS! :lol::lol::lol:

349573[/snapback]

Would you believe it's a primitive form of the vulcan neck grip?

I liked Sisko the best, and mostly because of his relationship with his son. I thought his dyanamic as a father was interesting, even if he was a religious freak.

349243[/snapback]

It's funny, but it wasn't until I reread this quote and went back and watched some episodes that I realized just how much I enjoyed that aspect of the show. That's another thing that grounded Sisko in reality as a person and a character, in addition to making some very good TV.

I liked Sisko the best, and mostly because of his relationship with his son. I thought his dyanamic as a father was interesting, even if he was a religious freak.

349243[/snapback]

It's funny, but it wasn't until I reread this quote and went back and watched some episodes that I realized just how much I enjoyed that aspect of the show. That's another thing that grounded Sisko in reality as a person and a character, in addition to making some very good TV.

349598[/snapback]

I think that might've been part of why I typically list DS9 as my favorite Trek.

It was much mroe a character-driven show than an event-driven one.

Though I did like DS9 less in the end. Particularly when the writers decided to make Sisko absolutely definitely the Prophet of Bajoran religion. Initially he just did his thing, and tried to dissuade the bajorans of the notion he was some sort of religious figure. But towards the end, they went all-out hardcore Bajoran-Bible-thumper with him.

But Enterprise still has the worst ending in the entire franchise. I flipped it off after about 5 minutes, and I sat through the entire run of Voyager.

You have to understand the different times.

Kirk's era was like... 18th-19th century earth.

Exploration, constant warfare, danger, imperialism, new frontiers, etc. The Federation happens to be in the middle of a war with the Klingons and surrounded by many more hosilte species. Space was largely unexplored and it really is the final frontier with much more primative technology and experience. Uou can't solve everything by re-routing more technobabble to it, or hoping for a crappy/cheap Star Trek "reset button" script.

Picard's era is the 1990s. As we see in Star Trek VI, the human/Klingon war symbolizes the end of the Cold War. The 90s were full of optimism that the era of state-state warfare was over. Picard's Enterprise and Federation is like the floating United Nations, with the firepower and of the United States backing it up. Everything is cheery and pastel colors, even the walls are beige and the carpets are purple.

The endemic problem with Next Gen and all the 24th century stories is that they are all formulaic, trying to adhere to a strict vision of the future, which is probably Berman's fault. TOS was much better because as a rare Sci-Fi show in the 60s, it really was more of a showcase for revolutionary science fiction story-telling and space opera with wide and varied fantasy stories every episode.

Leave it to Next Gen to kill the invincible Kirk in the most meaningless way possible. Damn you TNG.

Exploration, constant warfare, danger, imperialism, new frontiers, etc. The Federation happens to be in the middle of a war with the Klingons and surrounded by many more hosilte species. Space was largely unexplored and it really is the final frontier with much more primative technology and experience. Uou can't solve everything by re-routing more technobabble to it, or hoping for a crappy/cheap Star Trek "reset button" script.

Picard's era is the 1990s. As we see in Star Trek VI, the human/Klingon war symbolizes the end of the Cold War. The 90s were full of optimism that the era of state-state warfare was over. Picard's Enterprise and Federation is like the floating United Nations, with the firepower and of the United States backing it up. Everything is cheery and pastel colors, even the walls are beige and the carpets are purple.

The endemic problem with Next Gen and all the 24th century stories is that they are all formulaic, trying to adhere to a strict vision of the future, which is probably Berman's fault. TOS was much better because as a rare Sci-Fi show in the 60s, it really was more of a showcase for revolutionary science fiction story-telling and space opera with wide and varied fantasy stories every episode.

Leave it to Next Gen to kill the invincible Kirk in the most meaningless way possible. Damn you TNG.

349641[/snapback]

That's what I love about DS9: They weren't afraid to not pull their punches. Just look at any episode with Garak in it and you'll see. Especially look out for In The Pale Moonlight to see just how dark and dismal DS9 could get. On the other hand, when DS9 wanted to be funny, it was downright hysterical. Just look at Trials and Tribble-ations for proof of that. And they always had witty, snappy writing that all of the other shows simply lacked.

The Dominion War really shook up the Federation and reminded them that they weren't the be-all and end-all of the galaxy and brought some space-opera back into the mix instead of dry treknobabble

Very good replies here, as we arent necessarily Vulcan sign, Klingon dictionary, Starfleet uniform wearing dorkoids from the Delta Quadrant the debate has been real entertaining reading.

I myself voted for Picard, although I'd honestly not put Kirk in second place either. For their times and their ships both were exactly what you wanted in a Captain.

Kirk was a hero of his age, he earned respect and the loyalty of his crew through his continued examples of bravery and tactical genius. A true warrior in his time that had no equal. While his mission was to explore, the galaxy wasnt exactly as stable as it was for when Picard took off from Spacedock. Klingons and other hostile races were nipping away at the fledgeling Federation. Kirk worked with meager resources in comparison to Picard and he did a fine achievement regardless.

Picard, decades in the future was in a differant time. The Federation had achieved a relative peace and stability that had not been seen before. He was an explorer, first and foremost. His mission was just that, to follow the Prime Directive and expand human knowledge. I feel however a bit more attatched to Picard because we got to see a more personal/human side to him that we could not really phathom with Kirk. Here was a man who for all his greatness at the end of the day was truly alone. Then as Q introduced later in the series the Borg, and the ensuing war with them we got to see the warrior side of Picard. His bravery matched that of Kirk, and who can deny his turmoil when he became Locutus?

There is one Captain left out of this poll however that I would have probably voted over both Kirk and Picard...William Riker!

Edited by Zor Primus

Very good replies here, as we arent necessarily Vulcan sign, Klingon dictionary, Starfleet uniform wearing dorkoids from the Delta Quadrant the debate has been real entertaining reading.

I myself voted for Picard, although I'd honestly not put Kirk in second place either. For their times and their ships both were exactly what you wanted in a Captain.

Kirk was a hero of his age, he earned respect and the loyalty of his crew through his continued examples of bravery and tactical genius. A true warrior in his time that had no equal. While his mission was to explore, the galaxy wasnt exactly as stable as it was for when Picard took off from Spacedock. Klingons and other hostile races were nipping away at the fledgeling Federation. Kirk worked with meager resources in comparison to Picard and he did a fine achievement regardless.

Picard, decades in the future was in a differant time. The Federation had achieved a relative peace and stability that had not been seen before. He was an explorer, first and foremost. His mission was just that, to follow the Prime Directive and expand human knowledge. I feel however a bit more attatched to Picard because we got to see a more personal/human side to him that we could not really phathom with Kirk. Here was a man who for all his greatness at the end of the day was truly alone. Then as Q introduced later in the series the Borg, and the ensuing war with them we got to see the warrior side of Picard. His bravery matched that of Kirk, and who can deny his turmoil when he became Locutus?

There is one Captain left out of this poll however that I would have probably voted over both Kirk and Picard...William Riker!

349722[/snapback]

Good point. I like Riker as well. Wasnt he suppose to get some command?

349722[/snapback]

Good point. I like Riker as well. Wasnt he suppose to get some command?

349752[/snapback]

If I rcall, in the show he turned down a few promotions because commander of the Enterprise sounded like a better job than captain of some other ship. He's still a commander as of the last movie.

Brief google search shows he got a field promotion to captain when Picard was assimilated, but it sorta got brushed under the rug in future episodes.

Sulu got a command, though.

Well, I sure as hell wouldn't vote for Jane('s)way(s)

It always was her way or the highway, bending the Prime directive as much

as she claimed she wanted to protect it

not listening to one word of advice from anyone or even following her own

she was more a dictator than a captain

and if B&B didn't press the reset button every other episode

Voyager would have been destroyed at least a dozen times

If I rcall, in the show he turned down a few promotions because commander of the Enterprise sounded like a better job than captain of some other ship. He's still a commander as of the last movie.

Brief google search shows he got a field promotion to captain when Picard was assimilated, but it sorta got brushed under the rug in future episodes.

Sulu got a command, though.

349753[/snapback]

At the end of the Nemesis Riker and Troi were reassigned to the USS Titan where Riker was to be Captain.

/geek

STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE: Riker, William T. 'Will'

Serial number: SC 231-427

Current assignment: Commander , U.S.S. Titan

Full Name: William Thomas Riker

Date of birth: August 19, 2335

Place of birth: Valdez, Alaska, Earth

Parents: Kyle and Betty C. Riker

Education: Starfleet Academy, 2353-57, graduated eighth in his class

Marital status: Married to Deanna Troi

Children: none

Quarters: formerly, Enterprise: Room 0912, first Deck 8, then Deck 9

/geek

I've read thats its either a Sovereign-class or according to a site which talks about a book series the Titan is a new Luna-class ship.

Personally I think this Luna-class looks sweeter.

post-2668-1133816091_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1133816108_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1133816120.jpg

post-2668-1133816154.jpg

post-2668-1133816225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

Question for any resident trekkie...looking for the name and season of a TNG episode where Picard was transported by some probe into a world where he ended up living his entire life, had a family, but the planet was going to be destroyed by a supernova or something. He had learned how to play the flute in the episode. Probe ended up being some sort of "time capsule" made by the race long destroyed.

Very powerful episode I would really want to see again.

I've read thats its either a Sovereign-class or according to a site which talks about a book series the Titan is a new Luna-class ship.

Personally I think this Luna-class looks sweeter.

349772[/snapback]

Has there been any official artwork?

Looks like the result of a three way between an Akira, Intrepid, and Sovereign class. :lol:

Question for any resident trekkie...looking for the name and season of a TNG episode  where Picard was transported by some probe into a world where he ended up living his entire life, had a family, but the planet was going to be destroyed by a supernova or something. He had learned how to play the flute in the episode. Probe ended up being some sort of "time capsule" made by the race long destroyed.

351565[/snapback]

yah that was a good episode. I forgot the name too,

Question for any resident trekkie...looking for the name and season of a TNG episode  where Picard was transported by some probe into a world where he ended up living his entire life, had a family, but the planet was going to be destroyed by a supernova or something. He had learned how to play the flute in the episode. Probe ended up being some sort of "time capsule" made by the race long destroyed.

351565[/snapback]

yah that was a good episode. I forgot the name too,

351580[/snapback]

Inner Light

Thanks UN...there was a Picard DVD with episodes centered around him and was pretty sure the episode in question was on it. Found it at Best Buy:

Picard DVD

I am sure the other episodes are well worth grabbing this dvd. B))

Edited by Zor Primus

349641[/snapback]

Agreed, especially with this and whom ever said the comment before about DS9 making the federation look weak. I'm going to majorly geek out on this one.

In Enterprise, Earth is a virtual nobody... none of the major races have any reason to be worried about humans because they are so primitive. So Earth tends to get ignored, and are only threatened by the other bottom feeders. But by the Original series, Starfleet becomes a major threat... so the races start reacting more violently towards it. Thats why Kirk is still exploring, but its a bit like the wild wild west as Kaze said.

In the time between TNG and the Original series, the UPF becomes THE major player in the alpha quadrant. The weakening of the Klingon empire in the Undiscovered Country and the withdrawal of the romulan empire ensure that the UPF becomes the largest superpower. Remember in Star Trek VI, they are even thinking of scrapping starfleet... presumably thats how big the klingon threat was, and how little they were worried about anybody else. By the first season, there isn't any major threats to the security of the UPF, with the exception of border wars like with the Cardassians. So they could build ships that had families inside. Remember that in the Alternate universe episode where the Enterprise C comes back, the Enterprise D is a pure battleship, without families, because there is a major threat.

Even the re-emergence of the Romulan threat isn't that spectacular, because the UPF is all powerful, and the romulans aren't really much of a threat either. Its really only until the Borg arrive on the scene that Starfleet realizes it needs pure warships... especially after watching a cube wax half of its fleet in a couple of minutes at Wolf 359. (which leads to the development of the Defiant Class, the purest warship in the fleet.)

But even the borg isn't a major threat like others, I guess it was seen as a one off, and it could be somewhat ignored... the start of DS9, there still isn't any major threats. The most major one comes from some the Maquis... that stems from a peace agreement with the Cardassians... that is shaky. I think its pretty indicative about how much Starfleet cared about the Cardassians, that they thought an adequate response to them was an antique space station and three long range shuttle craft.

Its only at the end of Season 2 or 3 in DS9 when the Dominion demolish the Oddessy, then go on to crush a combined Cardassian/Romulan fleet with ease, that starfleet realize a major threat to their security exists. Thats when you see massive fleets of warships being built, and DS9 being fortified... Thats when you know someone is a threat. Hell, they are so dangerous that the UPF will ally themselves with anybody who can win them the war... as you see in insurrection.

So in the end, I think each captain suited the age they lived in. For me though I'd go with Picard and Sisko, with Picard taking the edge. He could be as bad assed as Kirk, but he was always logical. If I wanted to pick someone for a fight, I'd go with Sisko over Kirk. It seemed like every episode he was fighting a horde of Kingons or Jem'Hadar on his bridge. The best battle episode in all the series has to belong to DS9 and the Klingon Station invasion, only matched by the Best of Both worlds as the best episode ever made.

Edited by Noyhauser

Why did Picard act like such a uptight dick the whole first and second seasons?

It seems like he didn't settle down into the temperate likeable Picard until around the 3rd season. Wasn't it also around the same time that Roddenberry died and stopped having such a big influence on the series?

It seems like he didn't settle down into the temperate likeable Picard until around the 3rd season.  Wasn't it also around the same time that Roddenberry died and stopped having such a big influence on the series?

352440[/snapback]

The truth is... he'd only gone bald right before the series started. And it took him 2 years to get over his scalp.

It seems like he didn't settle down into the temperate likeable Picard until around the 3rd season.  Wasn't it also around the same time that Roddenberry died and stopped having such a big influence on the series?

352440[/snapback]

The truth is... he'd only gone bald right before the series started. And it took him 2 years to get over his scalp.

352456[/snapback]

Actually, Patrick Stewart was bald by 19. And he constantly thought he was going to get fired in the first season so he lived out of a suitcase. True story.

Edited by ComicKaze

You know what is dumb? The Federation letting the Romulans having a cloaking device and then signing a treaty that they wouldn't develop their own. I know Gene Roddenberry wanted the 24th century Trek to be all utopian and show humanity unchained from it's base evils (see Encounter at Farpoint for perfect intro into this overriding theme), but how can Starfleet be so trusting of an invisible enemy who can just waltz in and do anything. Cloaked ships (and we see cloaked people are possible) are 1000% more dangerous and a security threat versus something like Changling's replacing people.

This would be like the United States saying in 1963: "Okay Russia, you develop all the nukes and then target them all at us and we'll sign this piece of paper saying we won't do likewise against you". Human beings only survived the cold war because both sides had the weapons, visibly demonstrated they had the weapons, and deterred each other from using them.

Speaking of the best captains ever (from Rotten Tomatoes):

Star Trek Fanboys get their wish?

Shatner On Board for a New Trek?

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Thursday, Dec. 15, 2005, 01:33 AM

Gareth writes: "CanMag.com reports that Captain Kirk might be returning to the bridge of the Enterprise for the next "Star Trek" film. Not only that - he might be joined by Patrick Stewart's Captain Picard and Scott Bakula's Johnathan Archer, of "The Next Generation" and "Enterprise," respectively.

Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete First Season (2001-2002)

• Posters

• News

• About

• Forum

The site claims that the idea to set the next "Trek" movie as a prequel, with the action centering on the students of the Starfleet Academy, has been trashed. Instead, they're considering doing a sequel that will be set in the "Mirror" Universe - which we've seen in both "Star Trek" and "Enterprise" before - which will make it possible for several of the 'captains' to team up. (After all, there's no rules/no continuity restrictions in the 'Mirror' universe.)

"Apparently Shatner was in talks to do a guest role on Enterprise, but it didn’t work out. Why? Apparently he wanted a) more money b) would rather do Trek films. Solution? The ideas for the episode of the “Enterprise†episode he was going to do will now be incorporated into a movie. Yep, Captain kirk’s back", says the site. "It’ll be Shatner, Captain Picard and maybe Archer".

Let's just hope this new "Trek" movie is better than "Star Trek: Nemesis"!

Source: Skewed and Reviewed"

Instead, they're considering doing a sequel that will be set in the "Mirror" Universe - which we've seen in both "Star Trek" and "Enterprise" before - which will make it possible for several of the 'captains' to team up. (After all, there's no rules/no continuity restrictions in the 'Mirror' universe.)

We've also seen the mirror universe in DS9.

And watching Dark Worf throw a giant hissy fit after he was defeated was hilarious.

"Apparently Shatner was in talks to do a guest role on Enterprise, but it didn’t work out. Why? Apparently he wanted a) more money b) would rather do Trek films. Solution? The ideas for the episode of the “Enterprise†episode he was going to do will now be incorporated into a movie. Yep, Captain kirk’s back", says the site. "It’ll be Shatner, Captain Picard and maybe Archer".

Let's just hope this new "Trek" movie is better than "Star Trek: Nemesis"!

Look at it this way. Even Nemesis was better than the last episode of Enterprise.

As I understand it, the only way they could convince Rodenberry to give the go-ahead for the new series WAS to give him omnipotence.

He was so annoyed over the mucking about with the original series and first few movies that he didn't want to touch the franchise again.