I just shipped 8 boxes of Macross toys back home

shiyao

just wondering -

is there anyone out there who's shipped, like, EIGHT boxes of toys but for non-commercial (ie. not sale or resale) purposes? will you still get hit by customs?

i just shipped my 8 macross toy boxes back home to singapore today. the total came to USD$270, but i'm afraid i'll still get whacked by customs back home.

gonna miss new york.

Edited by shiyao

usually it depends on what you wrote on the custom forms, if you mark it off as a "gift" and mark the value on the package low, you will not really get charged. if you put the full value down on the package then you may have to pay.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

You are so screwed.... :lol:

j/k ;):D

Actually if they are separate shipments, there is nothing they can do about it. They are interested in only each individual shipment. That what I asked. He didn't like it, but he had to eat it.

Best to check with Singapore Customs Policy. If they give you trouble you can always try telling them you were studying/working overseas and now moving back to singapore and these were your personal stuff over there. I don't think Singapore Customs is as strict as certain other countries like Australia but i could be wrong.

The best way to not get charged for the merchandise, is to declare it has little or no value, say it is a gift, and the big one, say everything is used under the description. That's how I get my stuff to a friend I have in Canada, since we were having the trouble of getting charged every time, before discovering what to do about it. And no, it's not cheating, the stuff I sent really was used. Sounds like maybe it was with you too. Why not try and save that money by disputing it with the post office? Tell them what happened, that you didn't realize you were going to get charged so much, or at all.

Edited by VF-1James

Thanks guys.

(Curious: what was the original pic you wanted to post Monty?)

It's a dilemma. Declare high, you get hit by taxes, but declare low, and you claim peanuts for insurance when things go awry. But I really should've stated "used" items. Dang. Will keep that in mind in future.

Wanna hear my side of the story? I went back to Malaysia last summer carrying 2 full-loaded baggages filled with macross toys (2 fastpacks, 3 1/48s, 2 1/72s)....and just a pants, 2 t-shirts, and some under 'you-know-what's....the good part was I didnt have to worry about custom taxes or insurance...the bad part...I had to wear the same attire for 3 months :lol::D

aaajin

hey thanks guys.

is GST still 3%? i thought it went up to 5%.

but even then, is a goods and services tax the same thing as customs tax? i don't think so right?

5% of $1500 = $75

arrrrggghhh - that's worth ... err ... one toynami masterpiece alpha.