Picture of the Bandai 1/100 VF-19S Kit

Ivan

Does anyone happen to own a Bandai 1/100 VF-19S model kit? How's the quality? Does it transform without parts removal? Also, please post pictures of the finished model if possible. Thanks.

I've owned several of these kits over the past 10 years, but don't currently have a completed one on hand, although I still have 3 unbuilt in boxes.

It's not a bad kit, but really needs painting to look the best. If you don't paint it and just use the foil stickers, it looks awful IMO.

Yes, parts removal is required for transformation. To transform from Battroid mode to Fighter mode, you will need to remove the following peices: -

• Hands.
  • Groin/lower torso piece.
  • Head.

You will then need to add the fighter mode head cover.

It's quite a sturdy kit, with the only real fragile areas being the little tabs that are supposed to lock the wings into the legs in Fighter mode.

Graham

by the way how does the kit look in battriod mode? is it proportioned well and is it poseable? i can never find any real good pics of it.

thanks

chris

They look a bit... chunky. I had two for sale but I just sold them.

Heres a picture of them raw... no stickers.

thanks so very much i just noticed this, i also posted the same thing in the for sale section do not worry about that then. how tall is this figure when completed?

About 20 cm or so...

Unless you like the way it looks or want to heavily mod it, I cant say its a great kit. It was useful to bash away at for my Hase Battroid YF-19 tho. :lol:

Pros:

Easy to built (snaps together)

No need to paint (stickers)

Transforms? (sorta...???)

Cons:

Chunky

Stickers suck (I like decals better)

Transformation is iffy cuz of the removable parts

Unknown wacky scale

Reason why I got them was cuz I didnt even know anything else existed and they were cheap compared to a SHE YF-19. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses. How easy/difficult is it for someone with zero modeling experience to assemble the kit? Is there anything I should look out for?

The kit is increadibly easy to build as it is snap together, although a little glue here and there never hurts.

However, it won't look really good unless you paint it IMO.

Graham

It doesn't look nearly so bad to me, I actually thing that the chunky proportions serve it very well.

Like all Bandai kits from the early-mid 90s (pre-useful GRADE), the kit's easy to assemble, but lacks in refinement, so to get it looking its best, you'd have to roll-up your sleeves and tinker with it. To be perfectly blunt, I'd rather hack-up one of these little Bandai buggers into a YF-19 that would actually look decent, than sink a G-note onto that Liquid Stone aberration of complete fugliness.

i was thinking about cutomizing one of these into a standard YF-19, but i am not sure i can pull it off.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

It doesn't look nearly so bad to me, I actually thing that the chunky proportions serve it very well.

Like all Bandai kits from the early-mid 90s (pre-useful GRADE), the kit's easy to assemble, but lacks in refinement, so to get it looking its best, you'd have to roll-up your sleeves and tinker with it. To be perfectly blunt, I'd rather hack-up one of these little Bandai buggers into a YF-19 that would actually look decent, than sink a G-note onto that Liquid Stone aberration of complete fugliness.

Imo it will be faster sculpt your own YF-19 variable model, Modify a vf-19s/f/c/p into a yf-19 means modify nearly every part, then you may want to modify it to transform cause the bandi 1/100 requires massive part swapping, furthermore the bandai vf-19 is pretty uncorrect. (then sell it in MW :D)

You can always make it just look like the yf-19 of course.

Edited by Ido

Well I´ve been fiddling around with mine for some time and decided to build it in static battroid mode.

As has been stated elsewhere the battroid looks ok but for a fighter or gerwalk I find the legs and most of the parts aft of the cockpit far too chunky. Compare the model photos on the side of the box with the top illustration and you know what I mean.

Building the model is fairly easy, transformable or not, haven´t finished mine but there seem to be no pitfalls. But if you really want to go into building model kits I´d recommend glueing, sanding and painting. Even if it does not look perfect in the end you will get a lot of experience. Much more rewarding than just snapping off pieces and sticking them together.

I had the blue one. its descent except the joints are extremely fragile. I had a problem of the little plastic joints explode from the pressure of the polycaps and it eventualy turn into a leg-less and arm-less valk without being touched. After that i kitbashed it into a little ship.

nice of this thread to pop up JUST after i bought both :)

AlphaHX actually has more pics of the kit posted up under "Pic Test" in the Test Forum.

Edited by shiyao

I had the blue one. its descent except the joints are extremely fragile. I had a problem of the little plastic joints explode from the pressure of the polycaps and it eventualy turn into a leg-less and arm-less valk without being touched. After that i kitbashed it into a little ship.

Yeah its plastic was really tought so little long pieces were extremely fragile, the entire arm tend to fall during transformation, the head will not stay on in battroid mode and the nosecone actuator snapped off without apparent reason...

I'm working on this kit to semi scracth built a vf-19 battroid, I plan to correct a lot of kit errors but it will tale a lot of time...

i was thinking about cutomizing one of these into a standard YF-19, but i am not sure i can pull it off.

chris

You mean like this?

yes something like that. i do not want to save up a thousand dollars for the LS version so i thought about making my own, but i am not sure if the Fire Valk would be best for this conversion,

If you want to use the Bandai kits for the conversion, the problem is that you need BOTH of them. You need the wings and front stablizer things from the VF-19 Kai. Then you need the head and gunpod from the VF-19S/F.

You dont have to save a thousand dollars. Just a couple hundred and you can get the Studio HalfEye YF-19.

I think the best way to approach it would be the way I made my YF-19 battroid. Kitbash a Hasegawa to make it transformable and use parts here and there from the Bandai kits such as arms, cod piece, joints, etc. I was considering it but... it looks friggin hard to make a transformable kit.

do you have pics of the kitbash? i would like to get some of the She kits but i am short on cash right now. so i cannot buy anything big for the moment. :(

Edited by zeo-mare

hi i just realized this was yours yea i have seen it and it is looking great so far. i cannot wait to see the finished version.

chris

actually i wanted to do some simple mods to make it more poseable, and give it a different paint scheme and new head to look more like the normal YF-19, i may still consider doing this. i was curious if i did a good job lets say useing a She kit and upgraded it to look alot better and more poseable, customized it with more panel lines and stuff, would anyone here be interested in a recast of it?. i know i would have to send it to someone to have done, but i would be willing. i see the LS version is never going to really be fully accessable to us, and the Yamato YF-19 with FP is probably never going to be made.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

If youre going to use the Bandai kit as your base kit... unfortunately I'll have to pass on the interest of recasting it. Its just too chunky for my taste. Why use a SHE kit? I would be sad to see such a nice kit to be used to kitbashing. I would rather just recast the SHE kit and call it a day. That isnt a good idea either tho. :(

You could still do it... and see how it comes up and see if people want it. If not, it'll still be nice on ur part to have a nice kitbash. Just like Battroid 19. I didnt really make it for it to be recasted but I offered to make another one if enuf ppl wanted it to be recasted. If not, oh well... I still get a YF-19 Battroid that I'm please with. :D

What were you planning to do? If theres going to be any kitbashing involving a YF-19, I really think the Hasegawa model should still be the base kit. Just my 2 cents...

Gluck with that tho. Definitely post it up. I would like to see it. ;)

yes something like that. i do not want to save up a thousand dollars for the LS version so i thought about making my own, but i am not sure if the Fire Valk would be best for this conversion,

Pah...just beacuse you have a thousand dollars doesn't mean you can get your hands on a Liquid Stone YF-19. Trust me I know, I've tried and failed 3 times <_<

Only 10 of the multi-colored, preassembled versions were made (not to be confused with the older IHP build-it-yourself kit version) and only 2 of the Liquid Stone YF-19's have appeared for auction. The first went for more than 900 bucks and the second sold for just over 1000 bucks.

Graham

Pah...just beacuse you have a thousand dollars doesn't mean you can get your hands on a Liquid Stone YF-19. Trust me I know, I've tried and failed 3 times  <_<

Only 10 of the multi-colored, preassembled versions were made (not to be confused with the older IHP build-it-yourself kit version) and only 2 of the Liquid Stone YF-19's have appeared for auction. The first went for more than 900 bucks and the second sold for just over 1000 bucks.

Graham

And your wife had no issue with you willing to spend that much money on a toy? Ya da man. :lol:

• 2 months later...

chris

You mean like this?

hey alphaHX. is that 19 yours?

i'm asking because i recently ordered and payed a hase and a bandai 19's. i was thinking on a way to build a PV version but it seems to be a really hard task to accomplish, since this is the last attempt top do so.

however if i can't pull it off i want to do a semi variable 19 like the one on the picture, in wich case i would like to know how did you or the modeller who built it managed to modify the lower portion of the legs.