Newbie Questions on Macross

It's actually a Macross-world implementation of a eye-movement targeting system which carries some minor yet significant similarities to the AH-64 Apache's helmet/sensor control system.

Boeing's Joint Helmet Mounted Cuening System.

Edited by Zero Enna

QUOTE (grss1982 @ Nov 13 2004, 12:55 AM)

i could'nt help but notice that targeting system on roy's helmet, (the triple red ligths on the front top part of his helmet i believe, which follows his eyes movements as he "paints" the oncoming multiple missles

No, it's not overtechnology. It's actually a Macross-world implementation of a eye-movement targeting system which carries some minor yet significant similarities to the AH-64 Apache's helmet/sensor control system.

It's probably Northrop Grumman's Integrated Helmet Display and Sighting Subsystem, since Grumman is one of VF-0 developers. :p

I think, though I might be mistaken, the current version of the euro fighter uses similar technology.

Not really.

http://www.eurofighter.starstreak.net/Euro...er/cockpit.html

The Eurofighter (and this is what I like about it) actually uses a Helmet-Mounted Sight. This system projects info onto the helmet's visor, in addition to the HUD. In effect, you have a HUD display right on your visor.

What is also neat about this system is that it also incorporates Night-vision equipment which can also be displayed on the HMS, eliminating the need for night-vision goggle attachments.

wait a minute is'nt the HMS systeme similar to the VF-22S Strumvogel system?, i mean i've read in steelfalcon.com that it does use something to that sort. Anyway i was just wondring if in the real world somebody would implement all around cockpit display ssytem of the vf-19, i mean did no ever realize that the vf-19's ability to look down at targets literally below it in fightermode is very useful?

Edited by grss1982

wait a minute is'nt the HMS systeme similar to the VF-22S Strumvogel system?, i mean i've read in steelfalcon.com that it does use something to that sort.

Hehe....Steelfalcon.....Don't rely on information from Steelfalcon or any RPG site, ever. Most of that information is altered for the game and doesn't reflect the offical stats. It has been neither confirmed nor denied that the VF-22's flight suit uses a HMS.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...vf22/index.html

(The Compendium, however, is something you should look at more)

Anyway i was just wondring if in the real world somebody would implement all around cockpit display ssytem of the vf-19, i mean did no ever realize that the vf-19's ability to look down at targets literally below it in fightermode is very useful?

No. Not only are the economics of it infeasible but we haven't reached the level of sophistication that VFs in Macross have with their touch-screen LCDs and reduced physical knobs and buttons and switches. All that stuff requires lots of money which no country in our world would dare shell out for that level of sophistication.

Thanks azrael for the heads up.

Anyway about this inertia vector control system on the vf-22/yf-21 is this the triple flap/fin thingy on each of the vf-22's/vf-21's engine exhaust? Is'nt there i real world application of this vectored control system? i think there on the newest russian fighter jets the sukhoi designs, but not sure which model.

Anyway about this inertia vector control system on the vf-22/yf-21 is this the triple flap/fin thingy on each of the vf-22's/vf-21's engine exhaust? Is'nt there i real world application of this vectored control system? i think there on the newest russian fighter jets the sukhoi designs, but not sure which model.

The Inertia Vector Control system is something from the Quimeliquola Quaedluun-Rau.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/zentrad...eadluunRau.html

The "flap/fin thingy" is just thrust vectoring which has been around for ages. Please read up on it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=thrus...G=Google+Search

Anyway why does the skul insignia on roy's VF in Mac Zero and Macross TV Series so familiar, i think i've seen that insignia in real-world war movies or n the news a long time ago? is there a real world military unit that actually use that insignia?

Anyway why does the skul insignia on roy's VF in Mac Zero and Macross TV Series so familiar, i think i've seen that insignia in real-world war movies or n the news a long time ago? is there a real world military unit that actually use that insignia?

2 words: Jolly Rogers.

Now use Google. No one help. Let the boy look it up on his own.

i could'nt help but notice that targeting system on roy's helmet, (the triple red ligths on the front top part of his helmet i believe, which follows his eyes movements as he "paints" the oncoming multiple missles

No, it's not overtechnology. It's actually a Macross-world implementation of a eye-movement targeting system which carries some minor yet significant similarities to the AH-64 Apache's helmet/sensor control system.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Dqxqn...m&output=gplain

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...onoh.attgis.com

The technology is actually used in real-life. However, eye-movement tracking has been primarily used in lots of research studies. So no, it's not Overtechnology, it's real-world.

Eye-movement tracking was also used in at least one consumer camcorder.

Can't recall the model, and it's a bitch to find info on.

The premise was you would look at viewfinder icons to zoom in and out, and perform similar basic funcitons, without looking away from the action.

I suspect that it didn't work very well...

2 words: Jolly Rogers.

Now use Google. No one help. Let the boy look it up on his own.

Can I give him one hint, please? :p

Arrrrrrrrrrr....avast, me hearties!!! Make 'em walk the gangplank!

Edited by Pat Payne

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Dqxqn...m&output=gplain

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...onoh.attgis.com

The technology is actually used in real-life. However, eye-movement tracking has been primarily used in lots of research studies. So no, it's not Overtechnology, it's real-world.

Eye-movement tracking was also used in at least one consumer camcorder.

Can't recall the model, and it's a bitch to find info on.

The premise was you would look at viewfinder icons to zoom in and out, and perform similar basic funcitons, without looking away from the action.

I suspect that it didn't work very well...

Eye tracking, IIRC, is also used on some high-level consoles for quadraplegics (e.g. Stephen Hawking) to aid in chair movement and speech. YOu look at the control you want to use (or the word you want the voicebox to say) and the system executes the commands.

• 3 weeks later...
In the original theatrical/VHS version, the credits rolled over a black background as "Tenshi no Enogu" played.

Ok, I have two versions of DYRL then::

One, where at the end of it it shows Minmay tapping her foot counting out "One two three four" and then Tenshi No Enogu plays out...

and the other has no mention of this at all.

Are these TWO different versions? I'm slightly confused .

By the way - fantastic thread and incredible site! :)

Ok, I have two versions of DYRL then::

One, where at the end of it it shows Minmay tapping her foot counting out "One two three four" and then Tenshi No Enogu plays out...

and the other has no mention of this at all.

Are these TWO different versions? I'm slightly confused .

They are 2 (actually 3, if you include the DVD release, but the DVD release is just the Perfect Edition on DVD) different home video releases (not theatrical releases). The original video release does not have Minmay tapping the floor. The Perfect Edition has the scene. That's the only difference between the 2 editions.

Edited by azrael

The original video release does not have Minmay tapping the floor. The Perfect Edition has the scene. That's the only difference between the 2 editions.

Are you sure? When I (ill-advisedly) watched COTB, which was culled IIRC from the original theatrical release, the toe-tapping sequence was there.

The original video release does not have Minmay tapping the floor. The Perfect Edition has the scene. That's the only difference between the 2 editions.

Are you sure? When I (ill-advisedly) watched COTB, which was culled IIRC from the original theatrical release, the toe-tapping sequence was there.

Which release did you see? The Compendium lists 2 entries for COTB. One doesn't have a date and the other lists 1995 as the release date.

http://www.anime.net/macross/production/an...love/index.html

If it was 1995's release, then it might have the toe-tapping scene (Never watched COTB, I watched it raw, :p ).

Hi, everyone! Read through all 57 pages of this thread and here is my question:

Where did Robotech: The Sentinels Movie get the footage of the older looking Rick (Hikaru) and Lisa (Misa) getting married? It is mentioned earlier in this thread that the marriage was not depicted in Macross.

Thanks! ^_^

Edited by sherman

Hi, everyone! Read through all 57 pages of this thread and here is my question:

Where did Robotech: The Sentinels Movie get the footage of the older looking Rick (Hikaru) and Lisa (Misa) getting married? It is mentioned earlier in this thread that the marriage was not depicted in Macross.

Thanks! ^_^

I believe Harmony gold had some studio animated it. But not sure which one <_<

Whatever footage they showed in the Sentinels that showed them getting married had to have been original animation made for the Sentinels. HG couldn't have used any original Macross footage for the Sentinels other than what they had from SDF Macross (TV), and since there's no footage of Hikaru and Misa's marriage in that--or indeed anywhere--HG must have cooked up their own animation.

Note that the Sentinels Movie is just a re-edit of the Sentinels episodes, which HG had animated in Japan but which never made it to broadcast.

Whatever footage they showed in the Sentinels that showed them getting married had to have been original animation made for the Sentinels. HG couldn't have used any original Macross footage for the Sentinels other than what they had from SDF Macross (TV), and since there's no footage of Hikaru and Misa's marriage in that--or indeed anywhere--HG must have cooked up their own animation.

Note that the Sentinels Movie is just a re-edit of the Sentinels episodes, which HG had animated in Japan but which never made it to broadcast.

IIRC, the majority of the footage was animated by a studio in Japan. The rest came from various parts of Southern Cross and SDFM.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=3945

Tatsunoko probably contracted a studio in Japan to work on the animation.

Thanks for the reply, guys! Azrael, the link ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=3945 ) you posted answered my question to the tee: "Unlike the TV series, Robotech II: The Sentinels did not re-use animation from another anime other than some flashback footage from Macross; original animation was created for the new series, which was completely inferior to the animation of the Robotech series itself. "

It was nice seeing Hikaru, Misa and Minmay again (looking a bit older even) despite them being not voiced by thier Japanese talents. The quality of the animation was okay to me - it was created by a Japanese studio after all.

It was nice seeing Hikaru, Misa and Minmay again (looking a bit older even) despite them being not voiced by thier Japanese talents.

That wasn't Hikaru, Misa or Minmay. That was Rick, Lisa and Minmay. :)

Yep. He was made up for the Battlecry video game.

Thanks for the reply, guys! Azrael, the link ( http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=3945 ) you posted answered my question to the tee: "Unlike the TV series, Robotech II: The Sentinels did not re-use animation from another anime other than some flashback footage from Macross; original animation was created for the new series, which was completely inferior to the animation of the Robotech series itself. "

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gods, that's funny. I guess they're doing a "best original shot" to "worst new shot" comaprison here.

It was nice seeing Hikaru, Misa and Minmay again (looking a bit older even) despite them being not voiced by thier Japanese talents.

That wasn't Hikaru, Misa or Minmay. That was Rick, Lisa and Minmay. :)

Or should we say, Rick, Lisa, and "Minmay".

Sherman, to see older versions of the original trio, you should check out Macross Flash Back 2012 if you haven't already done so.

Nope, they're different. Flash Back 2012 contains a frame story (although very little dialog) that shows what happens to the principal three characters several years after the events in DYRL/SDF Macross.

Thanks a lot for the clarification, ewilen. Now, where can I get this Flash Back 2012? Hmm.... 0_0;;;

Offhand, I'd say eBay, or probably Valkyrie Exchange, and no doubt a number of other dealers in HK bootleg DVDs. You could also go the high route and acquire the R2 Japanese version, assuming you can play Region 2 DVDs, but I think it may be somewhat rare. The HK bootlegs don't translate the (minimal) dialog, so the R2 wouldn't be a problem there, comparatively.

Another option would be P2P (mlnet, edonkey, etc.) or possibly imacross. See the pinned imacross thread for info.

Ewilen, thanks again! That was actually a hypothetical question (because I can probably purchase Flashback 2012 from a local store. It will come with an original Malaysian sticker but god knows whether the distributors actually paid any royalties for it or just applied through the Malaysian government) but after reading your reply about iMacross, I have another valid question for this thread: Is it legal to host the non-Harmony Gold versions of Macross online? I certainly don't want to be offending any Japanese anime publishers.

Nope, it's not legal, at least in the US or any other country which is a signatory of the Berne convention. Nor is it legal, in any of those countries, to download copyrighted Macross stuff (regardless of whether the license is owned by HG or Big West).

However, since the only parts of Macross which are licensed in the US are the TV show and Macross Plus, many people think it's "okay" to download the other parts or get them from HK bootleggers. I'm not an admin or mod here, but my understand of MW policy is basically that facilitating the bootlegging/downloading of properties that are licensed in the US is disallowed, but otherwise let your conscience be your guide.

Nope, it's not legal, at least in the US or any other country which is a signatory of the Berne convention. Nor is it legal, in any of those countries, to download copyrighted Macross stuff (regardless of whether the license is owned by HG or Big West).

However, since the only parts of Macross which are licensed in the US are the TV show and Macross Plus, many people think it's "okay" to download the other parts or get them from HK bootleggers. I'm not an admin or mod here, but my understand of MW policy is basically that facilitating the bootlegging/downloading of properties that are licensed in the US is disallowed, but otherwise let your conscience be your guide.

Okay, thanks and understood. ^_^

AKA responsible piracy. Steal only that which isn't available through normal channels.