Starship Modeler Hacked!

I just read that Starship Modelr was hacked and the forums have been shut down...maybe for good! Criminy!

From the news section:

DISCUSSION FORUMS CLOSED INDEFINITELY

The Discussion Forums were hacked, and I (and the others I had designated with administrator rights) was removed from being able to control them. Because of this, I have shut them down. They will stay closed until I find and install new software with better security. Because I am already overwhelmed with the amount of work necessary to run the overall site, this may well mean that the forums are not reinstated.

Quite frankly, I shelled out a lot of money to keep them going, and Linda, the other moderators and myself spent an inordinate amount of time keeping the place running smoothly so that the 2547 registered users, and the uncounted lurkers, could share information and opinions and meet fellow modelers from the world over who shared their interests. Thanks to one person, all that is gone. Everything - the stockpiled knowledge, the communities, the private messages, all gone.

I hope you're happy, whoever did that.

Damn! Though I'm not a modeller myself, Starship Modeller was one of the original reference websites I frequented when I first got online years and years ago. The website is still on my favorites list to this day...hell, it's probably one of the first of the websites I ever bookmarked. It was invaluable when I was creating and running my website Starship Scales, back in my college days.

I'm very sad to hear this news. I hope they weather this storm and the forums come back online.

Edited by Mr March

Wow, that blows! :angry: I used to lurk in there from time to time for tips and they had a great site.  Why would a hacker single out a site like theirs?

yah why would somebody want to hack that place.

He must have had some beef with the mods to lock them out. It's a pretty crappy thing to do.

Dammit Man, that sucks!...I hung out there a lot (well havn't recently, but last few years I was always there), trade information, shoot the crap and all that...was a great place. I know White Drew Carey and several others from here hung out there as well :D

but now its no more :( What a lousy immature thing to do, hacking the site like that.

Gah, even though I've only been there like once.. I remember it as a very helpful and informative site, and for me to remember a site by going there like once a year or two ago is definitely saying something for the site.

That seriously sucks that the board went down.. :angry:

Rest assured....It will return.

One way or another.

Yeppers. I can see how it's discoruaging to the admins but I don't think that will keep the board closed. It's just too popular a board.

Damn, it seems like bunch of forums are getting hacked, the Legendary Leafpad and Real Life have been hit in the last 2-3 weeks as well. There was another forum hit in last week, but i don't know the name. Do we have some hacker who hate forums or something?

Cruel Angel's Thesis

haha, the tips and info on site was the only thing between me and total modelling crapness. now I'm screwed.. and I'm doing a PG strike! :unsure: