What's the oily substance in toys

wolfx

Like the topic says, sometimes toys come out of the packaging oily....is this some kinda grease? Is it for joint lubrication purposes? I realise that this grease sometimes is also found on non-articulate PVC figures. I get the impression that the presence of this grease is due to poor QC.

What exactly is this grease for?

Well... sometimes toys get a little lonely and bored when sitting around toy shelves. Sometimes they're 4 feet away from the Barbie aisle and they can look... but they're still miles apart - seperated by packaging. What would you do? They got the time, it's not like they can go out and get a Skipper doll to relieve tension... it's only natural to find a little residue.

Just hook 'em up with a paper towel or something and try not to embarrass them about it.

;):lol:

Edited by Blaine23

oh god... that's gotta be the funniest thing I've read all day!

It's usually mols release or some other lubercant that doesnt get washed off all of the way.... there was a question about this a bit back in ToyFare magazine, as a bunch of DC Comics figure lines were comming out of the packages consistently... er... gooey :rolleyes:

Injection molding typicaly doesn't require a mold release agent (but this is often dependent on the shapes of the parts themselves as well as properties of the plastic material used in them)...however the injection molds themselves often require lubrication as they contain moveing parts...ejector pins and the like...additionaly the molds may have hot oil or water flowing through them to keep the molds at a consistant temperature...

Most likely its just the lubrication used on moveing componets within the mold itself.

It's K-Y Personal Lubricant
Astroglide

Is that why I keep finding my valk in my wife's nightstand? ;)

Man, its not funny. My bottle of Astroglide leaked onto my first edition copy of The Old man and The Sea. That's a $300 book, man. I was NOT happy, those snap tops suck. I find Astroglide is good for general play, but you have to take out the KY jelly when you are going to put it where she really needs it.

Man, its not funny. My bottle of Astroglide leaked onto my first edition copy of The Old man and The Sea. That's a $300 book, man. I was NOT happy, those snap tops suck. I find Astroglide is good for general play, but you have to take out the KY jelly when you are going to put it where she really needs it.

ofcourse no part of this observation was based on an actual experience.

just speculation and a wild imagination... ;)

Macross World + Duke Togo = Classy.

Same question on another toy board, someone answered this:

When it comes to mould...the "oil to release" is actually called Release Agent. This substant will NOT dries up within a month times! And don't get confused, the factories DOES NOT use release agent to eject the plastic model parts from the mould. The parts are actually ejected by using a mild force by some "slightly smaller than straws" size steel bars. Actually the plastic DOES NOT stick to the steel mould at all. It need to be ejected by force due to the "fitness" of the plastic to its mould. Just like getting ice-cube out of its tray. So the oil it's definately NOT the Release Agent. I make moulds...i know. However, what the hell is it? I don't know. Didn't run chemical test on them yet

PS: Sorry...forgot to mention...the Release Agent is only used on making mould from the Master(for your info, Master here means the first scratch build model)

Makes sense..why would they need mold release for the actual toys?