Macross Zero

Aegis!

I was just wondering: Why doesn't somebody just clone all the ideas off macross and make thier own spinoff series with transforming mechs and space wars and singing idols?

Call it the attack of the birdmechs. :D They managed to pull it off with macross II and even though it's a fake universe that never existed people were at least interested enough in the mech designs. Just don't call it macross, don't steal the designs, and make up your own story and world. It's not like anyone here liked the direction macross 7 and macross zero were going towards anyway so I say get some other people to make a series similar to macross but with likable characters.

If they can make a tv series better than Mac 7 in designs and battles but with less sci-fantasy themes than zero, it would fill up a gap and be a way to appeal to those who have abandoned macross altogether. It wouldn't necessarily have to be planes but mechs that are designed to fight in ground wars (like the transformable destroids similar ot the Konig monster? Or the octos?) and be a good way to cash in on the forsaken macross fans waiting around for the next series. (if there ever is one)

I kind of feel as if the need to tell more of the macross world is now unecessary:

-the zentradi are now no longer giants, taking away the need for giant robots. Why not just have them battle in dedicated fighters? with dedicated transforming ground vehicles doing the stuff the battroids use to do? The zentradi had thier glaug, regults and Qrau etc, but they also had those fighter pods and had they known they were up against tiny people they could have easily fought on foot without mechs if they wanted to. (thier giant bodies are strong enough to even fight hand to hand against an unarmed vf1)

-singing idols are getting repetitive. (nobody liked basara and even if they did, if a new character like him appears I don't think I would like it that much)

-UN spacy have no equal in power that threatens thier super power. At least Mac II took the next logical step: brain controlled (maybe even drugged?) slaves taking control of the culture shock tactics and creating thier own. (this isn't too far from sharon apple's mind control and the hypnotic spell she had over the people)

-It's going to get to a point in the timeline where it will be too far into the future that there will have to be big changes and leaps in technology with further expansion of the world. Maybe by that time UN spacy has achieved universal peace (they already beat the Protodevlin the dealiest foes in the universe) and there is nothing left to tell. Without an enemy to fight, you can't justifiy the need to keep building military weapons when people have learned to live harmoniously. (unless there is another major 50/50 split in forces and beliefs like the Protoculture had or the UNG comes under the control of an evil force similar to the fall of the old republic in starwars :D)

-the use of spiritua weapons has almost made conventional (read "cool") weapons obsolete. By the end of macross 7 the main characters had replaced thier weapons with sound energy ones. I'm not so sure this idea is as cool or as appealing to many sci-fi fans as say, the use of force powers in starwars. If something isn't cool to people with a good explanation about how something works, people won't be as interested in following the series anymore imo.

If macross dies out and we don't see a new series for 10 years, would it hurt to see a clone of the ideas from macross into a new unrelated series? Is there ever going to be an "end" to the existing world that will close off the whole franchise forever? (similar to how there won't be anything after ep6 of starwars)

Mate , calm down , are you on something or what ? that´s way to much reading :blink:

Just if you didn´t notice but....this thread ain´t for speculation nor a freaking M7 thread either

Go to my first post and read it please , cheers.

back to topic.

As I said , we´re closer to the 25th anniversary so Kawamori might be waiting for that. Also but not less important is the fact of the huge growth of anime licenses in the US , nowadays it´s normal for a recently released show ( in Japan) to be inmediatelly licensed by someone in the US , this is a sign that anime IS a profitable market , I hope Bandai and BW notice this and talk to Kawamori for another development.

As I said , we´re closer to the 25th anniversary so Kawamori might be waiting for that. Also but not less important is the fact of the huge growth of anime licenses in the US , nowadays it´s normal for a recently released show ( in Japan) to be inmediatelly licensed by someone in the US , this is a sign that anime IS a profitable market , I hope Bandai and BW notice this and talk to Kawamori for another development.

He may be planning something for the 25th anniversary (which would be 2 years from now), but we'll just have to wait. As for BW pushing to the states....well, we know the trouble with that.....*cough* HG */cough*. Bandai really isn't playing a large role other than marketing and distribution. It's really BW that's the driving studio behind Macross.

Profitable indeed, but not in the case of Macross thanks to the license problems. I mean, would I ever see an R1 release of Macross Zero?

And I do believe we'll get new Macross for the 25th anniversary.

Maybe it will finally lead to a new series finally leading up to the truth about what happened to the Supervision Army. Kawamori never got around to that after SDF Macross ended. But I have a little theory that the Supervision Army had sent the Macross (ASS-1) to Earth to distract the MAin Bodolza fleet from them and their true objective whatever it may be.

As we all now know they were in earth sector for some time and knew about Earth's culture, as I remember Britai saying in the First episode, Booby Trap that they were pulling out of that system ten terms ago. Meaning that they had planned a way to get the Zentrieadi off their backs by way of a little culture shock by sending one of their ships the ASS-1 to Earth knowing they would chase after it and encountering earth's culture for the first time.

What do you think of my theory?

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Profitable indeed, but not in the case of Macross thanks to the license problems. I mean, would I ever see an R1 release of Macross Zero?

And I do believe we'll get new Macross for the 25th anniversary.

BW should feel under pressure to MAKE macross a profitable series , it´s just a case of negligence from their part no to promote and sell Macross as a great saga as it is.

You see Gundam and even newer series being promoted everywhere , Gundam ain´t popular because of its story or contents , it´s because Bandai knew marketing was THE major factor for it to sell. Gundam is a product of Bandai´s great marketing tactics not the other way around.

What has BW done to sell macross in the past years ? the 20th anniversary DVD was IMO the only effort they did excluding Yamato´s toys.

Maybe it will finally lead to a new series finally leading up to the truth about what happened to the Supervision Army. Kawamori never got around to that after SDF Macross ended. But I have a little theory that the Supervision Army had sent the Macross (ASS-1) to Earth to distract the MAin Bodolza fleet from them and their true objective whatever it may be.

As we all now know they were in earth sector for some time and knew about Earth's culture, as I remember Britai saying in the First episode, Booby Trap that they were pulling out of that system ten terms ago. Meaning that they had planned a way to get the Zentrieadi off their backs by way of a little culture shock by sending one of their ships the ASS-1 to Earth knowing they would chase after it and encountering earth's culture for the first time.

sounds good... I always thought that a macross sequel would revolve around this aspect of the universe... which I find much more interesting than this magic/song energy thing that they've been exploring.

The idea in DYRL I find much more enjoyable and touching.. that something as simple as a love song could awaken dormant memories and feelings bringing about change and a desire for peace... not this craptastic song as weapon nonesense that macross 7 left us with.

Maybe it will finally lead to a new series finally leading up to the truth about what happened to the Supervision Army. Kawamori never got around to that after SDF Macross ended. But I have a little theory that the Supervision Army had sent the Macross (ASS-1) to Earth to distract the MAin  Bodolza fleet from them and their true objective whatever it may be.

sounds good... I always thought that a macross sequel would revolve around this aspect of the universe... which I find much more interesting than this magic/song energy thing that they've been exploring.

The idea in DYRL I find much more enjoyable and touching.. that something as simple as a love song could awaken dormant memories and feelings bringing about change and a desire for peace... not this craptastic song as weapon nonesense that macross 7 left us with.

Tell me about it, even though I like the music of Macross 7 I couldn't fathom the idea of sound energy weapons and a musician flying out in battle performing. It was totoly off base of what SDF Macross represented.

Maybe it will finally lead to a new series finally leading up to the truth about what happened to the Supervision Army. Kawamori never got around to that after SDF Macross ended. But I have a little theory that the Supervision Army had sent the Macross (ASS-1) to Earth to distract the MAin  Bodolza fleet from them and their true objective whatever it may be.

Everything sounds fine with that theory EXCEPT for the fact that it WASN´T the Supervision Army who came to earth and altered human´s evolutionary process , it was the PROTOCULTURE.

Maybe the SA recovered ( somehow ) the protoculture records about earth and saw it as a last chance to eliminate the Zentradi threat.

Anyway , this is totally Off topic.

We´re talking about Big West, Bandai , Macross and the possible intent to hint a future series within the production effort behind M0 ( not within Zero´s plot)

Everything sounds fine with that theory EXCEPT for the fact that it WASN´T the Supervision Army who came to earth and altered human´s evolutionary process , it was the PROTOCULTURE.

Maybe the SA recovered ( somehow ) the protoculture records about earth and saw it as a last chance to eliminate the Zentradi threat.

We´re talking about Big West, Bandai , Macross and the possible intent to hint a future series within the production effort behind M0 ( not within Zero´s plot)

Come on Aegis WE know the Supervision Army didn't alter the Human genome and that wasn't what I was talking about I was merely stating that Supervision Army might have been observing Earth or had an outpost in the Earth sector to find ways to defeat their enemy the Zentradi. Think after 35 to 40 something years they would have resurfaced to cause a another attempt of glactic dominance e.g. Space War 2 that would be a start of a new Macross series. And there might be some tie-ins' with Mac 0's plot.

uhm.. so it has been established that the direct sequel for Macross Zero is in fact... SDF Macross... since that pretty much kills any topic for discussion, why is it so badd/off topic to discuss ideas for other sequels?

And, no where did anyone state that the SA is responsible for alter the human genome... don't see where you got that.

I doubt that we will ever see a direct continuation of the Macross Zero storyline from Kawamori with the same characters, as he seems to have a thing for having his characters disappear, never to be seen again.

• Hikaru, Minmay, Misa and the Megaroad-01 vanishing near the center of the galaxy in 2016, never to be heard from again.
  • Basara and Gamlin disappear while following the galactic whales at the end of Dynamite 7. As they have no fold boosters on their Valks, they would seem to have no way to return unless the whales fold back to civilized space (remember, their Valks will have limited oxygen, fuel and food).
  • Shin & Sara disappear with the AFOS at the end of Macross Zero.

Anybody see a trend here? :lol:

I think the best we can hope for in the near future is a movie version of Macross Zero with perhaps a few minutes of new footage.

Graham

The Supervision Army were entirely whiped out by the Zentradi. Had there been any of them left, their main objective would have been to assist the Protodevelin upon their return. Since there was no appearance of the SA, it can safely be assumed that they just buckled under to the might of the Zentradi.

"which I find much more interesting than this magic/song energy thing that they've been exploring.

The idea in DYRL I find much more enjoyable and touching.. that something as simple as a love song could awaken dormant memories and feelings bringing about change and a desire for peace... not this craptastic song as weapon nonesense that macross 7 left us with."

Amen! :o

In any case , from what I´ve seen , Aquarion seems to convey his usual/favourite themes and thus is possible that it´ll be his most complete work to date , meaning he´ll have the chance to include all his ideas from earlier works ( spiritual energy , mechas , fantasy , ancient mythology, ecology ) in a more complete and thorough manner.

To this date Kawamori has only gotten the chance to do that only partially and selectively in his works ( escaflowne , Zero , Arjuna , Plus ).

Seeing that , it is more probable now than ever that he´ll be satisfied enough with his work to properly dedicate his time to macross.

I still think it is a foolish idea. The "chapter" Kawamori is living in is not finished. First of all, you don't have identified what is fascinating Kawamori: Hindu culture.

Look at this Gabil. It began with Hindu-inspired designs. There was one of them in Escaflowne too (the Chafaris), even if that may have been a chance. Arjuna was a step further in implementing even Hindu philosophy. The name Arjuna itself was derived from a Hindu myth.

Macross Zero involved some themes already presented in Arjuna (one of them many skip is how words are not the thing they mean), but it was not Hindu. It was reminiscent of Polynesian culture (although the Rapa Nui's birdman is totally different from Macross Zero's birdman). Aquarion is Hindu and many else, but there isn't yet a Hindu Macross.

FV

I doubt that we will ever see a direct continuation of the Macross Zero storyline from Kawamori with the same characters, as he seems to have a thing for having his characters disappear, never to be seen again.
  • Hikaru, Minmay, Misa and the Megaroad-01 vanishing near the center of the galaxy in 2016, never to be heard from again.
  • Basara and Gamlin disappear while following the galactic whales at the end of Dynamite 7. As they have no fold boosters on their Valks, they would seem to have no way to return unless the whales fold back to civilized space (remember, their Valks will have limited oxygen, fuel and food).

Anybody see a trend here? :lol:

I think the best we can hope for in the near future is a movie version of Macross Zero with perhaps a few minutes of new footage.

Graham

I know this is just wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be cool if all these characters meet at the center of the galaxy for a real Macross conclusion?

Anybody see a trend here?  :lol:

Graham

I know this is just wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be cool if all these characters meet at the center of the galaxy for a real Macross conclusion?

SOunds like Robocrap. bleh...

OK , maybe this shouldn´t be here as an isolated thread but posting it elsewhere would be a waste.

Anyway , is it just me or does Macross Zero lead to believe there´ll be some kind of follow up ?

Yes, its called 'Super Dimension Fortress Macross". Perhaps you've seen it.

Ouch, you sniping devil, you :D

The question is whether Kawamori wants to make a new series ; at this moment I think he doesn´t , but as said earlier it´s possible he´ll give macross another chance after his new series , I just hope we see something like Macross Plus happen again when the producers came to Kawamori for a new series and not the other way around.

He said "Never again!" after DYRL, "Never Again!" after Flashback, "Never again!" after Plus and 7...If he does do another one, he might as well call the bloody thing "Macross: Never Say Never Again"

Anybody see a trend here?  :lol:

Graham

SOunds like Robocrap. bleh...

Anything but that please... PLEASE!!!

Considering those disappearences take place years apart (2008, 2016 & 2047), it's extremely unlikely that the characters would all meet up at the same time.

Graham

Wouldn't the fact that they vanished into thin air rule out the use of logic anyways?

okay.. let's say they did meet up.. would it go something like this:

Shin: so uhm, where are we?

Sara: (babbles something about kadun and look at shin with her mad face)

they wait for years and year and year and years.. and then they wait some more.

Hikaru and the Megaroad show up: Hey... uhm... where did you guys come from?

Shin: From EARTH!

Hikaru: Really?

Sara: That's a big sky bird you came in on.

Hikaru: Uhm... I guess.

Shin: never mind her.

they wait for years and years and years... and then a pod of space whales comes along with gamlin and basara all out of breath....

Hikaru and Shin: Hi...

Basara: LISTEN TO MY SONG!

the end.

Wouldn't the fact that they vanished into thin air rule out the use of logic anyways?

okay.. let's say they did meet up.. would it go something like this:

Shin: so uhm, where are we?

Sara: (babbles something about kadun and look at shin with her mad face)

they wait for years and year and year and years.. and then they wait some more.

Hikaru and the Megaroad show up: Hey... uhm... where did you guys come from?

Shin: From EARTH!

Hikaru: Really?

Sara: That's a big sky bird you came in on.

Hikaru: Uhm... I guess.

Shin: never mind her.

they wait for years and years and years... and then a pod of space whales comes along with gamlin and basara all out of breath....

Hikaru and Shin: Hi...

Basara: LISTEN TO MY SONG!

the end.

Yeah, yeah, just like that! But Basara needs to sing with Minmay.

In any case , from what I´ve seen , Aquarion seems to convey his usual/favourite themes and thus is possible that it´ll be his most complete work to date , meaning he´ll have the chance to include all his ideas from earlier works ( spiritual energy , mechas , fantasy , ancient mythology, ecology ) in a more complete and thorough manner.

To this date Kawamori has only gotten the chance to do that only partially and selectively in his works ( escaflowne , Zero , Arjuna , Plus ).

Seeing that , it is more probable now than ever that he´ll be satisfied enough with his work to properly dedicate his time to macross.

I still think it is a foolish idea. The "chapter" Kawamori is living in is not finished. First of all, you don't have identified what is fascinating Kawamori: Hindu culture.

Look at this Gabil. It began with Hindu-inspired designs. There was one of them in Escaflowne too (the Chafaris),

Which one is the Chafaris?

And general OT question: Is Arjuna good?

BW should feel under pressure to MAKE macross a profitable series , it´s just a case of negligence from their part no to promote and sell Macross as a great saga as it is.

You see Gundam and even newer series being promoted everywhere , Gundam ain´t popular because of its story or contents , it´s because Bandai knew marketing was THE major factor for it to sell. Gundam is a product of Bandai´s great marketing tactics not the other way around.

What has BW done to sell macross in the past years ? the 20th anniversary DVD was IMO the only effort they did excluding Yamato´s toys.

I always get the impression, that BW doesn't really care about Macross, sort of like a bastard step child or something. Or perhaps it's just that they are actually quite incompetent and have no idea how to properly promote and market it.

As far as I know, Macross is BW's only anime property, so you would think that they would be a bit more active in promoting it.

Sigh........it's not easy keeping the faith sometimes. We have BW doing a half assed job, combined with HG trying to block Macross at every step of the way and to top it all off, Kawamori seems to be turning into some sort of nature obsessed tree hugger.

Graham

I always get the impression, that BW doesn't really care about Macross, sort of like a bastard step child or something. Or perhaps it's just that they are actually quite incompetent and have no idea how to properly promote and market it.

As far as I know, Macross is BW's only anime property, so you would think that they would be a bit more active in promoting it.

There's always Orguss.

Oh, wait. No, there isn't. :(

Anyway, remember that it was Big West who wanted to capitalize more on Macross by releasing a sequel back in 1992 and, after years of begging, their "Well, we're gonna do it with or without you" attitude towards Kawamori ended up with Macross II as a result. Basically, if they've given up anything, it's trying to hassle Kawamori into doing stuff. At least that's how I see it.

Anyway, remember that it was Big West who wanted to capitalize more on Macross by releasing a sequel back in 1992 and, after years of begging, their "Well, we're gonna do it with or without you" attitude towards Kawamori ended up with Macross II as a result.  Basically, if they've given up anything, it's trying to hassle Kawamori into doing stuff.  At least that's how I see it.

I've always thought that BW waited far too long to release a proper sequel to Macross. I mean from DYRL in 1984 to Macross II in 1992, that's 8 years of no Macross!

OK, there was also Flash Back 2012 released in 1987, but that doesn't really count as it's basically just 30 minute of recycled song footage from the TV series and DYRL with a couple of minutes of new scenes added.

BW really needed to strike while Macross was still fresh in everybody's minds and still popular. A sequel TV series say in 1985 or 1986, followed up by a new series or OVA every couple of years (just like Bandai/Sunrise does with Gundam) would possibly have led to Macross being as popular as Gundam is today, assuming proper marketing and support from major toy and model manufacturers.

Macross certainly has the better looking mecha and better music for the most part than Gundam, so as long as the original creative team were retained I don't think it's unreasonable that Macross could have become the Gundam of today. It was certainly popular enough in 1982. In the end though, it was just too little, too late from BW and Macross was never again able to catch up to the Gundam giant.

Graham

Guest Bromgrev

Considering those disappearences take place years apart (2008, 2016 & 2047), it's extremely unlikely that the characters would all meet up at the same time.

Graham

Considering the centre of the galaxy is presently considered by most astrophysicists to be a giant black hole, time could be the least of their problems ... :)

Which one is the Chafaris?

Duke Freid's guymelef. Here's an image.

And general OT question: Is Arjuna good?

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it really deserves a watch.

The myth of Arjuna comes from Bhagavad Gita. Prince Arjuna, an exceptionaly skilled archer, had to fight a battle where on either sides there were his relatives, teachers, and friends. He asked his charioteer Krishna for advice.

In Earth Girl Arjuna Kawamori loosely adapted as a theme:

“The concept of fighting against one’s friends can be applied to technology as well. I’m not against technology, it is definitely our friend, but I think there could be dangerous aspects to technology. Knowing that, I think people should find the right way to use technology, the right balance between technology and nature. But the environmental aspects of Arjuna aren’t the main aspect of the story, they’re just a motif.”

Earth Girl Arjuna has many cues on today's society. Arjuna's agriculture teachings were taken from Masanobu Fukuoka, for istance. The only thing Kawamori didn't know is that hemp can replace oil :lol: The series would have had a more positive feeling if Kawamori knew it :lol:

FV

Macross certainly has the better looking mecha and better music for the most part than Gundam, so as long as the original creative team were retained I don't think it's unreasonable that Macross could have become the Gundam of today.

While the mecha was better it was a lot harder to make a good toy out of it than Gundam, and thus more expensive. Despite all things popularity mean, this is the real bottle neck of Macross.

FV