Imai 1/12 IRON Type Mospeada (Battler Cyclone)

shiyao

Another classic case of "biting off more than you can chew". This kit was about 2304239483928943 times more difficult than my first kit, the Bandai Variable Type VF-1S (1/72 - still available for your viewing displeasure somewhere on the model kits forum).

Nonetheless, I post my garish results here for all to see. I don't have any shots of it in armor mode - I haven't mustered up the courage to transform it yet.

Here we have the shiny parts still on the nice, shiny sprues. Looking back, I think the kit looked best at this stage.

post-3-1110246652_thumb.jpg

lessons learnt:

1. don't attempt iron/chrome kits unless you're a master.

2. give up on the variable kits already boy!

3. sandpaper? what sandpaper?

4. wait for toynami to release toys. models can't be played with, fool.

good grief. never again. i'm not good enough, i'm going to buy myself a couple of revell-monogram snap-tites to practice first.

i know the bandai MGs require no glue and paint, would those be a good idea?

thanks for the props guys. the truth is, if you saw this up close, your conclusions might have been very different indeed.

the main problem is the iron finish (it's not real metal fugly!) - once my tamiya cement so much as touches it, the finish becomes tarnished. also, the parts fit together on this kit very poorly - i filed down the oversize parts, but for the undersize ones, i didn't bother to putty - so it's a very "hang loose" kinda bike.

toonz, i'd love to transform the damn thing, but i'm just too bloody afraid. will muster up the courage sometime soon.

thanks for the props guys. the truth is, if you saw this up close, your conclusions might have been very different indeed.

the main problem is the iron finish (it's not real metal fugly!) - once my tamiya cement so much as touches it, the finish becomes tarnished. also, the parts fit together on this kit very poorly - i filed down the oversize parts, but for the undersize ones, i didn't bother to putty - so it's a very "hang loose" kinda bike.

toonz, i'd love to transform the damn thing, but i'm just too bloody afraid. will muster up the courage sometime soon.

hmm vac metalizing

masters won't touch it because if you did your not a master since its like a novice who glues it all together then paints it up without any sanding or putty usage.

Edited by Zentrandude

broadshore: i got it off drewsky, a member here at MW. he was selling this with a bunch of 3 other mospeada 1/12 variable kits (yellow and stick). but i don't think he's got any left anymore.

alphaHX: heh, i was debating that actually - is this more of a model kit or is it more "other science fiction and anime"? finally i decided on the former. mods, sorry in advance if this is more work for you.

I thought the bike part looked pretty darn sweet.

I think chrome kits were meant to be collectibles, never to be put together. How can you possibly cut the parts from the sprues without having it mess up the chromy part. No way can you fill seems or even touch it with sandpaper and the glue doesn't glue chrome very well either.

An impossible build to begin with, I'd say you did it justice.

Edited by Grayson72

I thought the bike part looked pretty darn sweet.

I think chrome kits were meant to be collectibles, never to be put together. How can you possibly cut the parts from the sprues without having it mess up the chromy part. No way can you fill seems or even touch it with sandpaper and the glue doesn't glue chrome very well either.

An impossible build to begin with, I'd say you did it justice.

exactly. the best way is to have a normal non painted one and when you got it together with no seam lines you then take it apart where you can put it back get it chromed then never touch it again since it would scratch or flake off.

This kit looks good. You'r edefinitely being too hard on your self with this one. Your buildup looks nice and there's nothing you can do about the glue and sprue areas.

Keep trying. Do yourself a favor and get a Hasegawa valk kit and give that a try.

Just keep having fun!

Yeah, everyone says, "Do a Hasegawa, do a Hasegawa!"

Are they really that much better/well-molded? So far the Bandai and Imai ones appear to require lots of filing and puttying. How immune are Hasegawas to this?

I was actually thinking of getting a Bandai MG (Patlabor Ingram 1) ... no glue, no paint. Are they as easy as they sound?

I think Jardann is right, do a Hasegawa. The overall kit is really nice and sculpted well. As far as how easy it is, you will need to do some puttying and sanding. From one beginner to another though I don't think its any worse than what you 've already experienced. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, everyone says, "Do a Hasegawa, do a Hasegawa!"

Are they really that much better/well-molded? So far the Bandai and Imai ones appear to require lots of filing and puttying. How immune are Hasegawas to this?

I was actually thinking of getting a Bandai MG (Patlabor Ingram 1) ... no glue, no paint. Are they as easy as they sound?

Hasegawa isn't necessarily easy as opposed to very well made. If you're going for perfection with no seems and perfect paint etc. any model will require filling and sanding. If you want to just glue the thing together and have it look ok then yes as far as fit goes Hasegawa rules (at least on the VF-1 series)

i will try a Hase soon. maybe the SV-51.

does anyone have anything to say about the Bandai MGs? they require no glue or paint (at least, ostensibly), so that makes them more appealing ... but i hear they've got tons of parts and are just as difficult as regular kits (if not even more so).

i was thinking of getting a patlabor ingram MG.

yeah, I have this kit too and just love the way it looks untouched and still on the sprues! I'm still looking for the alpha, so if anybody has one out there, I want it!