figure question and help please

CdnShockwave

I'm thinking of opening up the ol wallet and once I clear the moths away, buying a new Robotech/Macross figure.

I currently have Yamato's YF-19 and VF-1S and I'm a little on the dissapointed by their floppyness. But I'm primarily looking for one to keep in jet mode, so I don't completely rule Yamato out. Anyway, any thoughts as to which one would look best? I've found a few that look particularly cool, but if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to post.

Here are the ones I'm looking at:

-Toynami Masterpiece VF-J Miriya 1/44 Vol. (or the blue Max painted one)

-Toynami Masterpiece YF-1R Jack Archer 1/55 Vol. 6

-Toynami Masterpiece Alpha Fighter Shadow Sue Graham 1/55

I've never had a Toynami Masterpies, are they any good? How do they compare to Yamato? Do they come with the armour? If not, is there anyway toget the armour?

Also, one more thing. I saw in a comic book store a white and blue YF-19. Was that a custom, or did they actually produce that? Just curious. Anyway, let the replies begin!

the master pieces suck horribly, so avoid those at all cost. what size yamato do you have? I am assuming it is the 1/60? the 1/48's are the best alittle expensive but they look great in fighter mode and are not floppy at all, if you are going to spend hard earned cash you might as well get the best on the market .as for the Yf-19 yes it does exist it is based on a video game version.

by the way welcome to macrossworld

chris :)

Edited by zeo-mare

Welcome to MacrossWorld! (from a fellow noob.)

For the blue/white YF-19a, get in touch with Valk009 (Andy). I've just bought one off him myself. :p

Regarding Toynamis: the Valkyries suck (really, don't bother), the Alphas are *pretty* decent. Sue Graham looks to be pretty kickass, actually. I'd get that if I were you.

Another member here, Drewsky, has a (blue) Scott Bernard Masterpiece Alpha going for $60. You might want to check that out.

Also, Toynami has GREAT customer service (well ... they do need it, given their QC issues). No chance of that with Yamato.

if you ask most people on this site it seems like everything is wrong with them quality the skulpt, even the price, some of them are so expensive now you can buy 2, 1/48 yamatos for the same price (which are twice the size and quality. :p ) i had the Roy one alittle while back (i have already sold it) i never took it out of the box and it was on the shelf i looked at the toy through the front of the box and just did not like the way it looked, i have the 1/48's and they are nice to both look at and play around with , they are far more worth the money. the Toynamis Alphas are nice however but they can be fragile so be careful when handling those, if you get one.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Here's what's wrong with the Toynami veritechs:

1. Ugly swing bars for the legs. So shiny they blind you.

2. Ugly shoulder hinges. Equally shiny.

3. A complete lack of detail.

4. Ugly rounded nose in fighter mode.

5. Lack of poseability (due to legs using swing bars).

6. Hardly any diecast (this might be a personal caveat though - I like 1/60 yammies better than the 1/48s).

7. Assorted QC issues (these vary from toy to toy).

The Toynami Alphas, on the other hand, are pretty commendable. Just be careful handling them and you won't scratch *too* much paint off.

The YF-19 is one of my favorite looking vehicles and I love the way any 19 looks in jet mode. The Toynami pieces have several issues but I would disagree with anyone who tells you the Bandai re-releases are better. That means if you're going Valk your best choice is a 1/48 or 1/60 Yammie. IMHO if you do go MPC, Max/Miriya are the sharpest looking of the group, esp with fast packs. Really though, the best way to fly is with a 1/48 and you can find those for about $100-$140 without any difficulty. WELL worth it in comparison to other valks.

As far as the Alphas go, well I clearly LOVE them. I love all alphas though, even the miserable Gakken toys. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a vehicle to display in jet mode, the Toynami Alpha may let you down. While it does look good for an alpha, it has a tendency to look like it's back is arched which is just not flattering. The Valks all seem to look much better in jet mode, even the MPCs.

post-4-1109234537_thumb.jpg

yeah... masterpieces...

best bet is get a bandai if you like the 1/55 scale [like I do]. If you just want to check one out get a ben dixon for cheap so you can play with it before spending twice as much on any of the other ones. Bandai made a 19 [or two, or three] and you can get the most recent one pretty cheap. Honestly, being a newbie I'd hold off for a little while, check out the "toy archives" on the main page, and then check out the "for sale" section of the forums when you have an idea of what you want.

oh yeah... welcome.

Welcome to MW. Ok here is the problems with the MPCs Macross:

1. Floppy leg syndrome. They use magnets to hold the legs up when in fighter mode. since the leg is made of die cast, it is heavy. The legs tend to flop due to weight.

2. QC issues. The antennas on the heads, some of them looks crooked. Depends on your luck. They are some paint issues like sploches and excess paint that looks like it was dripping and then it dried up.

3. Feeling. Here this is a little subjective but there is a feeling of cheapness IMO. Not the feel but the look.

4. Swing bars. They just stole that from the previous releases of the 1/55s

Now I bought them but there have been alwaysa feeling of buyer's remorse. Anyways, a 1/60 or 1/48 would be best bet unless you can get the MPCs cheap like I did. If I had to do over, I would get the 1/48s period. They are by far the perfect masterpieces.

On the MPC Alphas, be careful of the 1st 2 releases. Rubber tires are so thin, it is pathetic for all of them. Painting issues and some ppl had some parts of two right arms instead of 1 right and 1 left.

save youself some problems and get yamato's.

don't let that "master piece collection" phrase suck you in, its a total crock of shiet.

the MPC is ONLY a good buy if you get them for $40 or less(if even that) otherwise you're gonna have to dump it back on ebay, then it'll have cost you money just for looking at it and being disappointed.

i bought one once, i got my money back, but i still regret the day i bought it. i remember i went to my friends house and opened it, i was all excited as was he but after i took the sucker out, we both sat there like :huh: WTF is this crap? i didn't even bother transforming it, i just stuck it back in the box cause looking at it pissed me off. by far the worst toy purchase i've made to date.

don't let that "master piece collection" phrase suck you in, its a total crock of shiet.

the MPC is ONLY a good buy if you get them for $40 or less(if even that) otherwise you're gonna have to dump it back on ebay, then it'll have cost you money just for looking at it and being disappointed.

i bought one once, i got my money back, but i still regret the day i bought it. i remember i went to my friends house and opened it, i was all excited as was he but after i took the sucker out, we both sat there like :huh: WTF is this crap? i didn't even bother transforming it, i just stuck it back in the box cause looking at it pissed me off. by far the worst toy purchase i've made to date.

While all this is true, amazingly the #3 MPC Skull Leader valks proved to be the best investment vehicle of all the modern valkyrie releases according to ebay. They sell for more than a 1/48 Yamato Low Viz or Yamato YF-19 1st issue and cost less than either at retail. Go figure.

i bought one once, i got my money back, but i still regret the day i bought it.  i remember i went to my friends house and opened it, i was all excited as was he but after i took the sucker out, we both sat there like  :huh:  WTF is this crap?  i didn't even bother transforming it, i just stuck it back in the box cause looking at it pissed me off.  by far the worst toy purchase i've made to date.

While all this is true, amazingly the #3 MPC Skull Leader valks proved to be the best investment vehicle of all the modern valkyrie releases according to ebay. They sell for more than a 1/48 Yamato Low Viz or Yamato YF-19 1st issue and cost less than either at retail. Go figure.

hear you on that. i sold my 1J for $130 or something and i thought i was robbing the guy....i almost felt bad. then i saw the 1S go for $300+ and i was like :o

but you gotta remember, most of the tools on ebay don't have a clue. they don't know jack about the yamato goodies, they just see "robotech" and "master piece" and they get sucked into the toynami crapoganda.

If you're going to spend some money, go for the Yamato 1/48 it is by far the best Valkyrie toy ever. Pricey, but the best. B))

The Yamato 1/60s are nice too. I'd say 2nd after the 1/48s and you can find them for very decent prices. (right here on these boards or on Evilbay) I think the 1/60s best feature is their fighter mode. Great value for the money.

I haven't ever owned a MPC, but you can already tell the opinion of everyone else here. :p

The Bandai Reissues are the best for nostalgia and for durability. These are very good for kids.

Welcome to MW and watch out! Once you start buying valks you may not be able to stop! ;):lol:

i bought one once, i got my money back, but i still regret the day i bought it.  i remember i went to my friends house and opened it, i was all excited as was he but after i took the sucker out, we both sat there like  :huh:  WTF is this crap?  i didn't even bother transforming it, i just stuck it back in the box cause looking at it pissed me off.  by far the worst toy purchase i've made to date.

in which case if you got 1/48 LVs, pm I will take them off of your hands. :p