Variable or non-variable

Myersjessee

So...I got back into modeling after a 20 year hiatus about 3 years ago. When I did I started with an IMAI Blowsperrior (which I have recently noted was a cursed model) I was amazed that it was engineered to be variable. How cool I thought. I spent my youth building fighter planes mainly... (and some star wars) and was amazed at the intricacy. 3 years later, I have just recently purchased a SHE VF5000...and I'm wondering how much I really like variable kits. In their idea, they are wonderful. I can build the thing with real engineering and show it in any mode. In reality, it would seem they are fragile, and will be quickly worn if transformed any amount of times. I can already envision the paint that will scratch off, the model flopping forward off a stand, and any other # of problems..... which leads to this topic...thoughts on models...variable or not. I think I have decided I like non-variable, and will most likely build my SHE static.

Anyone?

Although variable kits come with a lot of problems (ie, screws, paint scratches, difficulty building process, joints becoming loose over time, etc) I'm still a sucker for variable kits.

For me, its all about obtaining a "perfect variable" copy of what it was like in the anime. So for me, although theyre not the greatest as a "pure model" just for making, coloring, and displaying but I love variable models pretty much for the engineering of it. I know as soon as I finish making one of my SHE kits, I would just look at it in awe by the way it reminds me of the anime and how someone actually made it into a physical object.

So in the end, its just a different type of eye candy for me. Models tend to be the "omg, its so real looking / you have mad painting skills" kind of eye candy and variable models are more of the "omg, its variable and transforms just like how it did in the anime" eyecandy. Thats the way I see it... :)

Edited by AlphaHX

Never, never variable kits. NEVER.

Models are NOT toys. Models should not be toys. Besides, as far as Macross is concerned, much cheating is done in transformation so that one mode will not translate precisely into another, so compromises must be made. When it comes to my models, I make no compromises.

I demand a fighter mode VF-11. I demand a Gerwalk mode VF-1. Long live static display models!

I have to go with static models also. That is the main reason I didn't jump in and

buy the recast variable VF-4 that is currently in the For Sale section. It would seem

a waste to buy something that transforms, and build it in fighter mode only (the

only mode it looks good in IMHO).

I attempted several years ago to build the Cy-Kill as a variable model. After

several bits broke that were integral to the structure, it has been sitting in storage

ever since, unfinished . One day I will probably break it out and finish it as a non-

transforming model, but too much other stuff on my modeling plate right now.

Later

Models are NOT toys. Models should not be toys. Besides, as far as Macross is concerned, much cheating is done in transformation so that one mode will not translate precisely into another, so compromises must be made. When it comes to my models, I make no compromises.

I demand a fighter mode VF-11. I demand a Gerwalk mode VF-1. Long live static display models!

Amen Brother!

The only reason I'd get a variable model is so I can have a mode like guardian that isn't produced in a static version.

Me too..

The only reason i'd ever buy a variable model, is.. well.. I wouldn't.. oh wait, I thought of one, if it's the only option available. (i.e., Zeta Gundam, ReGZ Gundam) I haven't seen any variable Macross models that look "right" though.

I like the variables. And as for accuracy, IMO up until the Hasegawa models came out, the old Imai and Bandai variable Valks were the most accurate and had much more pleasing proportions than the non-variable valk models that were available.

I know they weren't prefect, but you have to admit they looked better than those 1/72 stiff posed battroids.

But hey, modeling to me is all about having fun, so do what is the most fun for you!

I appreciate the engineering in the variable kit itself, imagine sitting down at a desk and attempting to comprehend how to make a prototype of a VR-052f/t itself. Talk about patience! I know they r not perfect, but everynow and again ill swipe it off the display and transform it, i find that most appealing.

my two cents':

macross was special because it was all about the transforming mecha. so, in that sense, the variable kits make sense, because they reflect what makes macross unique. "if i wanted to make a non-transforming plane," so the argument would run, "i wouldn't have to make a macross one. f-15s are much better-looking."

on the flip side, however, macross jets and battloids are flippin' gorgeous in their own right, regardless of variable-lity. Ivanov's SV-51 in fighter mode makes me drool, and i mean that quite literally. the yf-19 has a GORGEOUS battloid mode - too bad the yamato toy doesn't do it justice.

so i guess both camps make a good point. at the end of the day, it depends on whether you're childish like me ("i want transform! i want transform!") or adult ("look at that exquisite weathering on the underside of the fuselage"). and of course, how much money you can spare.

Well, when it comes to the SHE YF-19 kit which is one of my favorite kits... the only mode IMO that has a better kit out there is the fighter mode made by either Hasegawa or Club-M. As for the battroid mode, I like it better than the Wave or B-Club battroid mode since it looks more like it does in the anime... well, to me anyways. So... lastly for the gerwalk mode... there isnt any other kit that exists so I gotta take what I got. So for me, at least it got 2 out of the 3.

I think I would be more for non-variable kits if Hasegawa has a gerwalk and battroid mode for every Valk out there... then theres no reason for me to say this and that and the only "advantage" for a variable kit would be that it transform but it'll prob lose in every other aspect such as detail, size, proportions, etc...

so i guess both camps make a good point. at the end of the day, it depends on whether you're childish like me ("i want transform! i want transform!") or adult ("look at that exquisite weathering on the underside of the fuselage"). and of course, how much money you can spare.

Cool! I finally fall into the adult category, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! :lol:

Not really a model builder, although I have bought many Macross kits (both plastic & resin) over the years.

I used to be into transforming Macross kits, but the aforementioned problems of paint scratching, loosening joints and fragility, combined with the increased availability of Macross toys over the past 5 years, has turned me off transforming model kits.

For me these days I like my toys transfoming and my model kits static for display.

Graham

Well, being a Mospeada geek, and a veteran model builder, I never liked the 1/48 variable, it's great scale, the box's and packaging are really excellent, like the 1/72 Bandai Variable Valks. But, I think it looks prety bad in all it's forms as a built up model.

The 1/72 Legioss, which are 3 seperate kits of the three variations, look a lot closer to the animation. The fighter is quite nice. The Battroid and Diver(Gerwalk) can look very good, but they need work. I'd argue even they look a little wrong because they're made to move(arms & legs).

Even when it comes to Gundam models which are super engineered(MG and HG) and do look like the anime, I don't like to move. I like to be able to pick a pose, but then freeze it in that pose, like a 3D photo.

Lastly, I agree with jardann, the 1/72 Bandai Variable Valkyries are pretty impressive for their age. But I don't like transforming them! Though, Hasegawa really swept away all competion now'a'days.

I hate variable kits, but that's because I don't play with my models. I want them sturdy. Besides, you can't tell me any of the variable kits look as nice as the non-variable. The only exception I could think of is the IHP Monster... but even that one I'm planning on building in a fixed position... not messing around with screws I'll never use.

just my opinion.

I'm also not much of a model builder, but, let me see how I can put it...

I think models should probably be static, for all the reasons mentioned.

But I'd prefer that in spite of their "staticness", the sculpts would still be plausible representations of truly variable designs. In other words, keep the anime magic to a minimum.

toys = variable

models = non-variable

Posability/variability in models just don't mean anything to me anymore. As aforementioned it's nearly impossible to transform a model without major chipping. I'd rather have a good looking, well proportioned model, and the hell with variability, which will almost always sacrifice the look in order to transform.

similar topic has been discussed about transformable Gundams, which most serious modelers consider to be inferior because they lose proportion and detail. For those who don't paint their 'models' and play with them like action figures, though, it's probably 'cooler'. but what's the point of being able to transform if they look like crap?

I'll take a static resin VF-19 battroid anytime over the transformable model/toy offerings, which will never reach the anime lineart no matter how well crafted (including those amazing ones shown in the hobby magazine archives...they're lightyears ahead, but will never be true to BOTH battroid and fighter proportions due to the inherent design which needs anime magic to work)

When I was a kid, I was so into variable model. The 1/72 VF-1S Bandai Variable Valkyries had so much more details compare to TAKATOKU VF-1S toy. However, transforming the kit would take forever on the model. I still remember the last time that I transformed my Bandai Variable kit 10 years ago, I was so afraid that I would break the kit due to the age of the kit.

When I come back to model scene this year, my original plan was to make a variable VF-0S. By the time, I completed my first Hase VF-0S. I realized that there is no way for a variable model to have the exquisite details of a static model without a huge amount of trade off.

Now, I only make static kits. It is like a piece of art that is meant to be viewed but not played.