FFVII Advent Children Trailer Four is out.....

i really want to see it as well, i am also interested in the action figures that are coming out they look awesome, only problem is we need more Yuna :rolleyes:

Just to see Aerith's spirit trying to assure Cloud that the world is better off the way it is and to stop beating himself up over her death is reason enough to see this ASAP! I'm a sucker for hopeless romance :D

There are too many teasers and trailers for Advent Children that I feel boggled. Not sure if i already have this one. Is this new...like this week new? ;)

It wasn't there when I last went to the site, which was about two weeks ago

I think highly of FF7, but not very highly of Squeenix these days. The movie looks pretty, but I can't help but think they're milking 7 for all it's worth and then some, and rewriting what was a great story to make room to do so.

That's not to say I'm not interested, or won't see it. I definitely will see it and I withold any judgement until that time. Other than that it certainly looks pretty. I still wish they'd go with more Amano-esqu designs if they were so eager to make a Final Fantasy based movie. Although no longer technically the best, the FFVI cinema sequences made for the PSX release are some of the nicest looking renderings to come out of Square.

This is Radd's sleep deprived ramblings.

I think highly of FF7, but not very highly of Squeenix these days. The movie looks pretty, but I can't help but think they're milking 7 for all it's worth and then some, and rewriting what was a great story to make room to do so.

Great story?!?!?!

FF7 was plotholes and duct tape. The story was a disaster.

The more I see of this film, the more I want it. It's like they're teasing us.

I feel truly blessed to not think very highly of FF7. It saves me the time of watching trailers, and the cash it'll take to buy the DVD eventually.

What can I say, I played FF7 six years ago, and it was my first RPG. As such, I tend to hold above others. I honestly can't remember most of the details, only that I enjoyed it emensely(and much more so than FF8). After seven, six places as my favorite FF. Regardless of this being based on FF7, it still looks to be an excellent film.

Great story?!?!?!

FF7 was plotholes and duct tape. The story was a disaster.

Examples?

Honestly, I've seen people say FF7 was filled with plotholes but I just didn't see it. The only thing that was left unanswered my opinion was actually the ending with the offspring of Red XIII and what happen to the world which seems now will be explained in the film and in the upcoming new Final Fantasy 7 game staring Vincent.

Seriously, when people say there are a lot of plotholes, I wonder if they've actually played the game or actually paid attention to what they were reading if they did. A lot is explained in the main story, some things are explain in side quest when you go back to certain areas. Some people just follow the main story and go from battle to battle and not really pay attention to all of the dialogue. That or its been so long since they played and don't remember certain things and just assume its a plothole.

What type of examples of plotholes do you have?

Edited by Effect

Honestly, I've seen people say FF7 was filled with plotholes but I just didn't see it. The only thing that was left unanswered my opinion was actually the ending with the offspring of Red XIII and what happen to the world which seems now will be explained in the film and in the upcoming new Final Fantasy 7 game staring Vincent.

Seriously, when people say there are a lot of plotholes, I wonder if they've actually played the game or actually paid attention to what they were reading if they did. A lot is explained in the main story, some things are explain in side quest when you go back to certain areas. Some people just follow the main story and go from battle to battle and not really pay attention to all of the dialogue. That or its been so long since they played and don't remember certain things and just assume its a plothole.

What type of examples of plotholes do you have?

I did. Much of what is "explained" consists of people choosing one possibility over another.

Let's take Cloud's past as an example. Tell me what makes one version any more credible than any other.

Sure, the whole Cloud and Zack were prisoners and broke out thing was the last version told, and is in a side-quest, but it has no greater or less weight to it than anything else. Ultimately it's just another one of Cloud's known-faulty memories. Leaving us with 3 or 4 origins for the character, and no rational way to choose one.

The "explanations" of the plot that I've seen all amount to excellent attempts at fanfictions, but are really lousy at sticking to the facts. The fact that people even feel a need to MAKE plot explanations is an indicator of how poorly written it actually is.

FF7 is a GOOD game, as menu-driven RPGs go. I give it that. But it's not a well-written game.

It's big claim to fame remains the immense marketing budget that got it(and by extension the genre) the mass attention that prior games like Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, and Secret of Mana failed to recieve.

To say nothing of the many games that never got translated because "Americans don't want RPGs"(a fact that was easily countered by citing sales of the few RPGs we DID get, which all had respectable sales #s, if not megahit level, and a large deal of consumer respect).

Let's take Cloud's past as an example. Tell me what makes one version any more credible than any other.

Sure, the whole Cloud and Zack were prisoners and broke out thing was the last version told, and is in a side-quest, but it has no greater or less weight to it than anything else. Ultimately it's just another one of Cloud's known-faulty memories. Leaving us with 3 or 4 origins for the character, and no rational way to choose one.

I thought it was established in-game that THIS was the original and real memory for Cloud? His past unlocked before him when he met Jenova, and Sephiorth mocked him that he thinks he was in SOLDIER all this while when he was actually just a motion-sick grunt following Zack around.

Cloud denies it and sulks and attacks Sephiroth...but loses. :lol:

I thought it was established in-game that THIS was the original and real memory for Cloud? His past unlocked before him when he met Jenova, and Sephiorth mocked him that he thinks he was in SOLDIER all this while when he was actually just a motion-sick grunt following Zack around.

Cloud denies it and sulks and attacks Sephiroth...but loses. :lol:

No, it wasn't established. That's one of many backstories thrown out there, all with an equal amount of support(read: none).

Many of the things that happened are explained in the game, by the characters themselves through dialogue. The Zack/Cloud story is the only story that does not seem to be contradicted by events or dialogue in the game, and combined with the fact that like most every character in the game has their backstory explained in a sidequest, is enough indication to me that it was the actual events.

I guess we will just have to disagree in that I do not think storytellers need to take you by the hand and walk you through the story, clearly explaining everything in detail. I think enough was provided to the player to make an informed decision on what happened, and I tend to enjoy stories that do so. Also, as I said, some of the most contended plot points in FF7 were clearly explained during the game, just not when the event happened. Many seem to overlook that.

I do, however, agree with you on FF7's claim to fame. I think half the gaming public tends to strongly overrate it.

Edited by Radd