More Macross goodies to buy

1 VF-1 2NV

So what are you guys/gals going to do with your hard earned tax refund? With my share I'm planning to get a few sets of the 1/48 GBP when they are released, konig monster, and whatever else Macross goodies Yamato has in store for us provided I like it or them.

On a side note, how practical are the tax software (turbo tax, quicken, etc...)? Will I be able to use them instead of a tax preparer to file my taxes? It seems that I will be taking the standard deduction instead of itemizing. Thoughts anyone.... :rolleyes:

Feel free to use your tax refund as you see fit; however, I like EXO's advice best: pay off debt. One more piece of advice: if you get a large refund, you should consider changing your W4 to increase your exemptions. While a fat refund may look good, it means that you over paid and the government got to use your cash interest-free for an entire year...not a good return on investment in my book.

Feel free to use your tax refund as you see fit; however, I like EXO's advice best: pay off debt. One more piece of advice: if you get a large refund, you should consider changing your W4 to increase your exemptions. While a fat refund may look good, it means that you over paid and the government got to use your cash interest-free for an entire year...not a good return on investment in my book.

Damn straight. It is the reason why I only paid nearly $40 to the US govt last year. I never over pay because the govt gets to keep the interest.

I switched to where they took off more off my pay. I ended up paying the year before and I was close to paying last year. I rather get a return from the gov. than get a bill. As for interest, if they give me back what's mine and made a little off the top, then good for them. Hopefully it'll go to some good. As for interest of my part, i woulda just spent it on some toys anyway... consider it patriotic charity.. :lol::lol::lol:

I'd rather get a bill from the government than a check--it means I got to use that money (at least earning interest) all year before handing over my share.

About tax software, if you use the standard deduction, your taxes are probably simple enough that you can use one of the free online tax programs. Some of them charge to do your state taxes, but the trick is that some will tell you beforehand what your bill/refund will be at various stages, even though they won't show you the completed forms until you pay. (This was the case with TaxAct.) So, if you're a cheapskate, you can use the state figures as a "checksum" and just do the forms by hand.

Depending on my refund this year I'll make some changes to my withholdings. I'm planning on paying off some debt and then maybe saving up for the ultimate toy: a new car.

If your taxes are really simple why even bother with tax software? Use a 1040 EZ. If they're a little more complicated that a 1040EZ wouldn't capture everything then go ahead and get the software but don't waste your money if you don't need to. And remember, if you do itemize, the cost of the software should be tax deductible.

Depending on my refund this year I'll make some changes to my withholdings.  I'm planning on paying off some debt and then maybe saving up for the ultimate toy: a new car.

If your taxes are really simple why even bother with tax software?  Use a 1040 EZ.  If they're a little more complicated that a 1040EZ wouldn't capture everything then go ahead and get the software but don't waste your money if you don't need to.  And remember, if you do itemize, the cost of the software should be tax deductible.

You cant use a 1040 EZ if you make over $50K a year or make too many deductions, etc. I know I cant.

Edited by Godzilla

Got myself an early tax time gift.... The Monster... That sucker is really cool... One of my new favorites..

The rest of the return will undoubtedly go towards debt though... <_<

I'm putting any refund I get into savings. I'm debt free (aside from the car which is on a 0% loan) and I have all the Macross stuff I need right now.

Tax software is a great alternative to paying for a tax professional - it leads you through the process and asks all the pertinent questions. Since you're using the standard deduction it may just be easier to fill out the forms. The 1040 is fairly straightforward if you don't have to worry about itemizing, education, capital gains/losses, etc.

Depending on how much I get, I'm hoping to pick up a 1/48 VF-1J. We'll see how it goes. This year I got married and bought a house, so I expect my tax situation to be significantly different, which hopefully means a bigger refund. Any extra I get goes to paying down the mortgage. I get really itchy about owing money, even on a house.

I'll probably reserve mine for my Auto insurance, like last year.