The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Dude, I love old school Afla's, I so wish they would make a come back with RWD and AWD drivetrains and decent motors.

376175[/snapback]

THAT isn't an old school Alfa, THIS is an old school Alfa:

There haven't been any real Alfas since the early 80s...and I personally wouldn't look twice at anything they've done post-war. But I like the classics.

post-659-1141418582_thumb.jpg

Is that the place off of Miramar Road and Camino Ruiz? If so, they razed the arcade of my youth to put up that race track; it's all good though...

Is that the place off of Miramar Road and Camino Ruiz?  If so, they razed the arcade of my youth to put up that race track; it's all good though...

376478[/snapback]

You mean Malibu Grand Prix? Miramar Speed Circuit it more inwards from Miramar Road in the middle of a business area, so I doubt they razed any childhood arcade to put it up. Plus, its all inside of a big warehouse.

I just got back from doing some laps at www.miramarspeedcircuit.com.. that place is fun as hell but a little pricey. i raised my top speed from last time tho

376469[/snapback]

Hey Poonman, how much did it cost? I remember their prices being high as hell for only a lap or two.

Oh, ferchrissakes. That's just fuggin' stupid. This thing is just going to be a display piece of eye-candy, right? There's no telling what sort of accidents would be caused the first time this thing is driven on public streets, say, on a bright sunny day; you're liable [and that's the operative word here, ain't it] to have other drivers blinded left and right if they look in its direction. Let the mayhem ensue....

Edited by reddsun1

Does 50 even know how to drive stick? What a way to ruin a perfect piece of Italian/German engineering and turn it into Yo Pimp My Ride Yo. I need to watch those VW Unpimp My Auto commercials again, those were great.

"You got an F."

"We just dropped it like it was hot."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Seven

Does 50 even know how to drive stick?  What a way to ruin a perfect piece of Italian/German engineering and turn it into Yo Pimp My Ride Yo.  I need to watch those VW Unpimp My Auto commercials again, those were great.

"You got an F."

"We just dropped it like it was hot."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

376629[/snapback]

Yeah. "What price, integrity?" right? I mean really, how much will human greed lead us to do? Surely the people that did the paint work on this car must have at least thought: "you know, this has got to be some kind of hazard in the making, or something." Is there anything that somebody out there won't do just for the bucks? Apparently, making an otherwise cool and exotic car into yet another tacky display of a disproportionate silliness-to-wealth ratio is not past the "line" that people just won't cross...

Isn't there a joke about the percentage of new Lambos owned by rappers? I don't actually recall seeing anybody else own one...

I'll admit I've always wondered what a chrome sports car would look like. I like the overall look, but it's just TOO shiny. I think "super-smooth" (as in fine-grained) silver would look nice. Just so long as it's not actually reflective like a mirror. Most silver paint is just so grainy, like glitter. This is an issue for models, as normal silver paint on a model can often look like you literally coated it in glitter. It's all about how finely ground the metal flakes are.

Well, I have seen worse. Was reading an auto rag [Automobile, IIRC] doing a piece on the upcoming Gallardo spyder, and it was done in a truly grotesque shade, sort of a pastel-powder blue. Seemed to fit right into the backdrop of Miami where the photo shoot was done...

Wow. The owner of that car should be pointed out and laughed at publicly. That's the problem with this country--no longer is there any concept of "shame" any more. Somebody should be fuggin' ashamed that they did that to a car. Somebody else ought to be fuggin' ashamed that they took another person's money to paint it to look like that...

That powder-blue Gallardo is in Road and Track. I swear everyone at Lambo went color blind over the past few years. Metallic lime green. Pearl burnt orange. Now pastel blue.

What happened to basic sports car colors? Diablos had so many neat shades of blue---both metallic and non. And titanium, and anthracite grey, and other cool colors.

But the current ones seem only to be available in colors that don't look good on the cars. There's like one shade of blue that's decent, but it's almost the same as GM Superior Blue.

I've always been a firm believer in Ford trucks, it was just their Tire popping roll over SUV's that were having trouble up until about two years ago. Not to mention their crap out compacts until the Focus came around. It just seems like all of Ford's horrible crapiness has been close to resolved since Bill Ford took over, now all of they have to do is kill off Mercury and completely redesign Jaguar, and they'll have a company that's worth while again like it was half a century ago.

I'm driving a Dodge Dakota SLT V8 as a rental and it does okay. It's pretty comfortable, but there's not much interior room, the center console is kinda stupid, and the V8 eats gas faster than any V8 i have ever driven. My dad's Lightning and my good friend's 250 were amazing trucks, if i could get a good price on one, i would take it in a heart beat.

I'm driving a Dodge Dakota SLT V8 as a rental and it does okay.  It's pretty comfortable, but there's not much interior room, the center console is kinda stupid, and the V8 eats gas faster than any V8 i have ever driven.  My dad's Lightning and my good friend's 250 were amazing trucks, if i could get a good price on one, i would take it in a heart beat.

377200[/snapback]

I love the interior room in my truck, not the fanciest, but it doesnt need to be fancy, My 2500 was like driving a car, I hated that along with all the problems and weak sheetmetal (I bent the rail of the truck bed pulling myself up) I got a great deal on mine 28g's out the 2002 door crew cab 350 diesel lariat with 50k on the odometer,,, a buddy of mine has a 97 with 200k and he pulls a 10k lb trailer all the time, never had a problem (cept the usuall springs, shocks, brakes ect,,,,,) Im keeping mine till the wheels fall off, then I may put them back on and keep it longer

;)

edit: I get 14mpg in the city and 19-20 on the highway, how many 8,000lb vehicals can say that?

Edited by pfunk

you got a killer deal on your 350! The 350's with the diesel are awesome, my dad was in the market for one to do some of his business work (avionics) but he just couldn't find one in his price range. When his budget expands with his business i really hope he gets one, the entire F series is unbelievably reliable contrary to the other stuff Ford makes (then again their trucks are the only thing that has kept them alive for the past 3 or so decades).

its the international engines that do it, dont get a 02 up to 04 with the 6.0, I got one of the last 7.3's. Reason is that ford tried to manufacture the 6ltrs and international took over and worked the bugs out

80's Toyota pickup. Best trucks ever.

377371[/snapback]

Agreed. Of course I'm a big fan of anything Yota, so I might be a little biased. But if you go to any 3rd World Country having a civil war or whatnot, you'll find Toyota pickups ferrying both rebels and government troops off to their doom. They're built like a rock! :p

Homemade cars.

Hey guys, how long has it been since I posted on here? Anyway, did anyone go to the Redline Time Attack at California Speedway this past weekend? I was there, shot over a thousand pics!

Some of the better ones (about 10% of the total) are up on my public photobucket. Feel free to check them out.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f82/WRBWRXMAX/

Redline time attack > california speedway.

The RRR FD won its class, Unlimited RWD. Second place was the pink fd with the crazy widebody. Unlimited AWD, and overall win, was the XS R32 GT-R, driven by Tarzan Yamada. The white and orange WORKS Evo won Modified AWD.

that's definitely one way to put it... different...

377466[/snapback]

Look up Toyota Hilux Video on Top Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0UVI99R8Q...%20Gear%20Hilux

To see where the point about how you always see them in 3rd world countries lasting forever - and then see Top Gear crash a Toyota Truck into walls, trees, lose it adrift in the ocean, beach it in sand, drop it from 20 feet, crash it through a house, hit it with a wrecking ball, drop a trailer on it, set it ablaze, and then place it on a high-rise apartment building roof and then demolish the building with dynamite!!!

Edited by ComicKaze

when yota can pull and haul what I need it to, Ill gladly get one, thier just to weak for what I use a truck for. Ive destroyed many a 1/2 ton that could suposidly pull 8,000+lbs, not to mention the broke springs Ive incured. Yotas are great for 4wheeling exspecialy the ones from the 80's with the nice axles and suspension. Not a good work truck though. I think the american trucks have that market cornered becides Izuzu's heavy duties (they developed the Duramax in the GM diesels,,,,,,,which suck imo)

Hey guys, how long has it been since I posted on here? Anyway, did anyone go to the Redline Time Attack at California Speedway this past weekend? I was there, shot over a thousand pics!

Some of the better ones (about 10% of the total) are up on my public photobucket. Feel free to check them out.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f82/WRBWRXMAX/

Redline time attack > california speedway.

The RRR FD won its class, Unlimited RWD. Second place was the pink fd with the crazy widebody. Unlimited AWD, and overall win, was the XS R32 GT-R, driven by Tarzan Yamada. The white and orange WORKS Evo won Modified AWD.

377602[/snapback]

Is that the event that the Russian kid came to with the automotiveforums.com Skyline? or am I thinking of the wrong event? How'd it do? From all indications, they will be going pro, and are listed among the '06 competitors in the SPEED World Challenge. If nothing else, it ought to add some spice to the events.

I just got back from doing some laps at www.miramarspeedcircuit.com.. that place is fun as hell but a little pricey. i raised my top speed from last time tho

376469[/snapback]

Hey Poonman, how much did it cost? I remember their prices being high as hell for only a lap or two.

376577[/snapback]

its $25 the first time ($2 for a reusable head scarf) and $23 ever time after that for 11 laps. "2 for Tuesdays" and every other day except saturday (with the Reader coupon) you get 22 laps for $23. I'm going tonight!