The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I think it 's a good move if you pass on the Elise. How often do you drive on the track? On the streets, the Elise will be a sore (literally) driving experience.

911 or Cayman are both great, IMO, if you've got the cash.

If you were to get an Elise, you should get the Sun International Elise, you get the K20A2 motor which is better designed for force induction (like A1 had planned to do) as opposed to the Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ that they put in there.

Or if you can do what some people have been doing with their 2ZZ's and that's keep the 2ZZ block and take the 1ZZ's crank and rods and create a "3ZZ", a 2.0Liter all aluminum I4 with variable valve timing that is easier to super/turbocharge.

Anyone need to wax their car?

Try this:

ACF8613.jpg

Zymol Vintage wax is only $1852 a bottle, but hey, it's refillable for life!

Oh, and you apply this onto your car by hand, not by a rag.

http://www.emmonscoachworks.com/ecommerce/...logo.html?cat=4

Not to be outdone, they also have the Royale, made specifically for the Bugatti Royale (a rare vintage car) that goes for a cool 6 grand:

http://store.miataparts.org/zyrogl.html

Edited by Seven

Now why pay $1852 for a wax? That's absolutely ridiculous.

372376[/snapback]

I can imagine what a rich car collector would say in his place, "Because I can."

We could set up a groupbuy and all chip in and send the bottle around between us indefinitely with free refills! With only 20 people, it would only come out to 92 bucks each for lifetime wax! :lol:

Or we could do the Royale with 100 people at 60 bucks each! :ph34r:

It's a rich guy thing.

As for driving recklessly in corners, yeah other cars could to what the Cobra can, but I love that body more than any other design...

almost 2 grand for a wax is CRAZY, why spend that much? even with a group buy?

372394[/snapback]

Because some people (like those who would have a bugatti royale) are crazy rich.

Dropping a few grand here and there is something they don't even think about. I didn't realize the extent of this 'till I got to interact with them at one of my old jobs. We had someone who took their familiy and 40 friends on a caribbean cruise for fun...for fun. We had another who went to clubs with $400 cover charges and invited a dozen friends (and some people he just met that night) to hang with him. If you spend money like that, a few grand for "the best" car wax isn't really that big a deal.

But, you probably have to be born into it to be willing to spend it like that.

it is all relative I guess, but its probably the same formula that has the little turtle on it.

companies thrive on consumer goods like bleach products (tilex and other bathroom cleaners that are basivally bleach and water)

I thought I would share some pictures of my project car. The car is currently up on jackstands while I fix a coolant leak in the lower radiator hose and do a little maintenance. While I had it up, I decided to paint my brake calipers to give it a bit more polished look. I know I know, if I had money I'd rather buy a big brake system, but I am satisfied with the OEM brakes for now and I can't afford $2000 on such a system.

I also installed some HID projectors since the stock popups are reknowned for putting out shitty lighting.

post-1469-1140559120_thumb.jpg

post-1469-1140559109_thumb.jpg

post-1469-1140559141_thumb.jpg

almost 2 grand for a wax is CRAZY, why spend that much? even with a group buy?

372394[/snapback]

Because some people (like those who would have a bugatti royale) are crazy rich.

Dropping a few grand here and there is something they don't even think about. I didn't realize the extent of this 'till I got to interact with them at one of my old jobs. We had someone who took their familiy and 40 friends on a caribbean cruise for fun...for fun. We had another who went to clubs with $400 cover charges and invited a dozen friends (and some people he just met that night) to hang with him. If you spend money like that, a few grand for "the best" car wax isn't really that big a deal.

But, you probably have to be born into it to be willing to spend it like that.

372416[/snapback]

I know some members of the UAE royal family... They can be like that, but like you said, they were born like that.

Kudos to you, for doing your own work.  Hope you get it out on the streets soon..

372454[/snapback]

Thanks, I'm kinda forced to actually. Mazda dealerships are notorious for being incompetent when working on this car. I remember when I brought it in for them to fix a radiator leak and I was standing next to the engineer while he ran my engine. I noticed the temps were climbing fast on my water temp gauge and pointed out so to him. He points at the gauge and says, its fine as long as we stay under the red mark on your gauge. I said, "You mean THIS red mark?" and then rotated the gauge bezel so that the red arrow was all the way up to 300 degrees F (it was a removeable bezel for looks only). The engineer just said, "Oh" and then turned my car off.

I thought I would share some pictures of my project car.  The car is currently up on jackstands while I fix a coolant leak in the lower radiator hose and do a little maintenance.  While I had it up, I decided to paint my brake calipers to give it a bit more polished look.  I know I know, if I had money I'd rather buy a big brake system, but I am satisfied with the OEM brakes for now and I can't afford $2000 on such a system.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull the calipers off rather than paint them on the car?

I thought I would share some pictures of my project car.  The car is currently up on jackstands while I fix a coolant leak in the lower radiator hose and do a little maintenance.  While I had it up, I decided to paint my brake calipers to give it a bit more polished look.  I know I know, if I had money I'd rather buy a big brake system, but I am satisfied with the OEM brakes for now and I can't afford $2000 on such a system.

I also installed some HID projectors since the stock popups are reknowned for putting out shitty lighting.

post-1469-1140559120_thumb.jpg

post-1469-1140559109_thumb.jpg

post-1469-1140559141_thumb.jpg

372444[/snapback]

thats a nice ride. I like the JDM front end. a buddy of mine in college had an RX-7 in that blue/green pearl paint. pretty fast car.

about your xenons- did you install xenon projector lenses too? I did a xenon kit on my Audi and while its bright as hell I put them in my OEM halogen projector headlights and had to aim them WAAAY low so I didn't blind anyone at night.

I still get flashed a lot at night.. pretty annoying. if I had to do it over I'd have gotten xenon housings.. ;)

otherwise you just blind the crap outta people.

Thanks, I'm kinda forced to actually.  Mazda dealerships are notorious for being incompetent when working on this car.  I remember when I brought it in for them to fix a radiator leak and I was standing next to the engineer while he ran my engine.  I noticed the temps were climbing fast on my water temp gauge and pointed out so to him.  He points at the gauge and says, its fine as long as we stay under the red mark on your gauge.  I said, "You mean THIS red mark?" and then rotated the gauge bezel so that the red arrow was all the way up to 300 degrees F (it was a removeable bezel for looks only).  The engineer just said, "Oh" and then turned my car off.

372474[/snapback]

Hmph...I had something similair happen a while back with my Charger. I had taken it to an electrician to figure out a voltage regulator problem. After they fixed the problem they wanted to make sure the charging system was working properly, so they let the car idle. And idle. And idle even more. After that, they let it idle a little bit longer. At some point, the car boiled over and they admitted as much to me when I picked up the car. They said "sorry, we forgot and left it running..."

Anyone need to wax their car?

Try this:

ACF8613.jpg

Zymol Vintage wax is only $1852 a bottle, but hey, it's refillable for life!

Oh, and you apply this onto your car by hand, not by a rag.

http://www.emmonscoachworks.com/ecommerce/...logo.html?cat=4

Not to be outdone, they also have the Royale, made specifically for the Bugatti Royale (a rare vintage car) that goes for a cool 6 grand:

http://store.miataparts.org/zyrogl.html

372370[/snapback]

Meh, Zaino is the best for the buck.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull the calipers off rather than paint them on the car?

372611[/snapback]

Not really. All I had to do is mask off everything and get spraying. It took all of 30 minutes.

thats a nice ride. I like the JDM front end. a buddy of mine in college had an RX-7 in that blue/green pearl paint. pretty fast car.

about your xenons- did you install xenon projector lenses too? I did a xenon kit on my Audi and while its bright as hell I put them in my OEM halogen projector headlights and had to aim them WAAAY low so I didn't blind anyone at night.

I still get flashed a lot at night.. pretty annoying. if I had to do it over I'd have gotten xenon housings..  ;)

otherwise you just blind the crap outta people.

372613[/snapback]

They are HID projectors so there is a true cutoff.

As for your xenon kit, you should take a look at these forums:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewforum....2bc142f489447e4

The members there perform some really nice retrofitting of true HID projectors and light shrouds into older cars with incredible results. For example, they'll take the HID projector system from a TSX including the shroud and retrofit it into an older A4 and the cutoff is really sharp while the light pattern is very wide and bright. I've been impressed with some of the member's work.

Seven - Your RX-7 is really coming along nicely. I really like the JDM Aero front end and the CF hood. The factory brakes aren't spectacular but for a car so light they're more than efficient, and i know exactly what you mean about mechanics and shoddy work (especially for the gen 3 RX's). You really cleaned it up nicely, just make sure that everything motor wise is running smooth (get it some quality intercoolers, if you have some money get it some comparable sized ball bearing turbos, and make sure the seals are in good shape), so long as you don't try to get mountains of horsepower out of it, and the motor has a really good cooling and fuel management system, that 13B will last forever.

Seven - Your RX-7 is really coming along nicely.  I really like the JDM Aero front end and the CF hood.  The factory brakes aren't spectacular but for a car so light they're more than efficient, and i know exactly what you mean about mechanics and shoddy work (especially for the gen 3 RX's).  You really cleaned it up nicely, just make sure that everything motor wise is running smooth (get it some quality intercoolers, if you have some money get it some comparable sized ball bearing turbos, and make sure the seals are in good shape), so long as you don't try to get mountains of horsepower out of it, and the motor has a really good cooling and fuel management system, that 13B will last forever.

372730[/snapback]

Thanks emajnthis! I did all the reliability mods first thing when I got the car 3 years ago and pretty much do all my own maintenance on the engine. As for an intercooler, I would first have to get a reprogrammed ECU or a Apex Power FC to mix in a bit more fuel since with the engine mods I do have, one more mod would throw the fuel mix to lean, which leads to many a blown engine. The hood while not to everyone's tastes, is more there for the vents than anything as underhood temps are incredible on this car.

I'd love to get a nice single turbo but the police in my town are nazis! I'd be afraid that I'd get pulled over in short time and they always ask you to pop your hood with cars like this. Theres also the smog check problem. I do plan on getting some upgraded twin turbos since those are much easier to get past smog and any visual check by a cop since they are out of view. I don't go out to street races or provoke any dumb stuff like that as I'm definitely not some kid right out of high school, its just a nice weekend car. Even so, the police will still jump all over any modded car in my town due to the damn street racers.

Edited by Seven

372656[/snapback]

Bah, that's another one that's overpriced and overrated. Unless you own a black or dark-colored car, the results are hardly noticeable compared to other products like Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax.

Personally, I use Simply Z-Best Car Wax. It's easy to apply and lasts for up to six months.

Even so, the police will still jump all over any modded car in my town due to the damn street racers.

372759[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry about that. I can't imagine that too many people, especially law enforcement officers, are familiar with rotary cars. I bet that you could have a nuclear bomb hooked up in there and not too many people would notice...

I wouldn't worry about that.  I can't imagine that too many people, especially law enforcement officers, are familiar with rotary cars.  I bet that you could have a nuclear bomb hooked up in there and not too many people would notice...

372780[/snapback]

Uh, unless he lives in a town where police officers are blind that hodo is a dead giveaway. The red color doesn't help much either.

As for that crashed Enzo, turns out it belonged to the CEO of failed gamestartup Gizmondo. http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=3108&date=20060222

372656[/snapback]

Bah, that's another one that's overpriced and overrated. Unless you own a black or dark-colored car, the results are hardly noticeable compared to other products like Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax.

Personally, I use Simply Z-Best Car Wax. It's easy to apply and lasts for up to six months.

372773[/snapback]

Tried those. They simply do not last as long. I do live in an environment where we regularly get about 130 inches of rain a year. Zaino lasts the longest after repeated rain. And all my cars are usually black so I do notice. :D

ooooooo....The car has a black hood-call in Special Forces NOW...

Seven, you're in Cali, right? With all due respect, most officers out here wouldn't know a carburetor if it fell on them, let alone a foreign car that should or should not have a turbo on it. Besides, 1 of 3 cars on the road is a F & F reject, so unless you're driving recklessly drivers are usually left alone. You're only obstacle should be the smog restrictions...

Edited by myk

ooooooo....The car has a black hood-call in Special Forces NOW...

Seven, you're in Cali, right?  With all due respect, most officers out here wouldn't know a carburetor if it fell on them, let alone a foreign car that should or should not have a turbo on it.  Besides, 1 of 3 cars on the road is a F & F reject, so unless you're driving recklessly drivers are usually left alone.  You're only obstacle should be the smog restrictions...

372817[/snapback]

Myk, I'm in the same town as you, dude. I dunno about you, but I've seen plenty of my friends pulled over for a mildly modified car and the cop breaks out a ruler and measures the height of the car from the ground to the front bumper along with making them pop their hoods and inspecting any shiny thing under there. Now none of my friends are street racers and are certainly not in high school or college by now and if they get heat over their mildly modded GTI or 300ZX, you can be sure they'll be all over my ass.

I myself got pulled over during rush hour traffic on the 15 and I do mean 5 mph traffic, for one brake bulb being out and the guy made me pop my hood and gave me the third degree over polished intercooler pipes. If i put a bigass shiny T04 turbo, you can be sure he's going to know that is NOT stock, cause no OEM air box is definitely going to be shoehorned onto that. Then the guy asked me where I was going and where do I work. I'm a married man out of my 20s so that kind of surprised me. Maybe I just look scummy? :lol:

Its not like that consideration is the only holdback, its also funds and the smog thing.

Edited by Seven