The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I really don't know what to say, Seven. Quit peeling out at every green light, OK? :p

I talk to alot of folks at my bar who are living the 2F-2F motif, and the only thing I ever hear about from them is how they beat this and that and whatever at wherever and whenever. Maybe we're all lucky in Manila-Mesa, or something...

Any recommendations for a reliable freight service? I just bought an engine in Maryland and need to get it to Mississippi safely.

Also, is it difficult to match ghost flames? I want to change the hood on one of my project cars, but I am concerned since there are pearl ghost flames on the front of the car that travel onto the original hood. Tracing the flames onto the new hood won't be a problem, it is the consistency of the paint hue that worries me. Any suggestions?

I have decided to clean up my M3 and keep it for another year..  It had 8 miles on it when I got it, now it has 160k.  I apparently like driving it, so I guess it doesn't really matter as I am still excited about the thing.  The thing is still in showroom condition.

I thought about the Lotus, and it would be awesome, but I think I would give up a LOT of comfort by getting that car.  Going to try to save about 75k and get a 911 next year.

Smart move?  What do you guys think.

371170[/snapback]

IMO a 911 is a waste of money in California or in the USA. Personally, I couldn't image myself driving a 911 at 75 mph (120kph). I commute to work on the Autobahn daily. Normally drink my morning coffee at 112-130mph (180-210kph). ;)

BTW, driving below 150kph feels sooooooo f'ing slow to me now. :p

Edited by J A Dare

I have decided to clean up my M3 and keep it for another year..  It had 8 miles on it when I got it, now it has 160k.  I apparently like driving it, so I guess it doesn't really matter as I am still excited about the thing.  The thing is still in showroom condition.

I thought about the Lotus, and it would be awesome, but I think I would give up a LOT of comfort by getting that car.  Going to try to save about 75k and get a 911 next year.

Smart move?  What do you guys think.

371170[/snapback]

IMO a 911 is a waste of money in California or in the USA. Personally, I couldn't image myself driving a 911 at 75 mph (120kph). I commute to work on the Autobahn daily. Normally drink my morning coffee at 112-130mph (180-210kph). ;)

BTW, driving below 150kph feels sooooooo f'ing slow to me now. :p

373964[/snapback]

Hey, wait a minute. I thought German cars usually didn't come with cup-holders? You know, "frivolous, distracting from the driving experience" and what-not?

My local paper announced in their weekly automotive section that the GTO is cancelled yet AGAIN. GM cited 2 major reasons why this is happening, the first being the cancellation of the Monaro in Australia, as well as changing airbag standards that would have cost too much in re-tooling.

Oh, and it didn't help that they couldn't give these things away, either. Damn it, I actually got to like this car, too. Until the new C6, the GTO was the happening American sports car...

I commute to work on the Autobahn daily. Normally drink my morning coffee at 112-130mph (180-210kph).  ;)

Hey, wait a minute. I thought German cars usually didn't come with cup-holders? You know, "frivolous, distracting from the driving experience" and what-not?

373975[/snapback]

Well...I did bring along my American habits. I have an insolated coffee mug that fits very nicely (snug) in my center console.

BTW, here's my BMWer "Mehve" (yes, homage to Nausicaa) at Central Station, Amsterdam.

mehve1.jpg

Funny, I felt so foreign driving in the Netherlands. NL plates are yellow, where as my German plates are white.

Edited by J A Dare

you could always move to a state that doesn't do smog testing...

372877[/snapback]

Yeah, but then you'd have to live in a state like Florida or Colorado.

:lol:

372909[/snapback]

yep, and zis is why Florida has so many POS's on the road....after all, we're the only state that used voting machines in every blasted election....

jeez Seven I didn't realize you were in san diego too.

what in God's name do you do for a living that you can afford a home out here? I went to college for four years and can still only afford to rent.

makes me mad cuz all the military slobs out here have nicer cars than me and most of the guys I knew in high school that enlisted couldn't even pass lunch period. :rolleyes:

the cops are pretty strict out here but most of 'em never show up to court. atleast thats been my experience the last couple times I drove without my Valentine 1. :D

what in God's name do you do for a living that you can afford a home out here? I went to college for four years and can still only afford to rent.

makes me mad cuz all the military slobs out here have nicer cars than me and most of the guys I knew in high school that enlisted couldn't even pass lunch period.  :rolleyes:

the cops are pretty strict out here but most of 'em never show up to court. atleast thats been my experience the last couple times I drove without my Valentine 1.  :D

374492[/snapback]

Hey Poonman. The key to affording a home is "double income" or "marriage". ;) In my case, my wife and I were lucky to buy a house before the big boom, right before prices started shooting up insanely. If we bought even as little as 6 months later I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to afford it. I'm almost certain that my daughter will have to move out of state when it comes time for her to buy a house of her own in 20 years unless the polar icecaps melt and San Diego is submerged drastically lowering property value. :lol:

makes me mad cuz all the military slobs out here have nicer cars than me and most of the guys I knew in high school that enlisted couldn't even pass lunch period.  :rolleyes:

the cops are pretty strict out here but most of 'em never show up to court. atleast thats been my experience the last couple times I drove without my Valentine 1.  :D

374492[/snapback]

Hmmm...I would guess combat-hazard pay and bonuses are what allow young soldiers to buy what they normally couldn't. The guy who almost recruited me said it was just a matter of working the right offers and deals before signing up to arrange a little financial prosperity. Of course, that doesn't explain the non-military types who seem to be always driving a tricked out, monster SUV with 50" wheels...

Porsche has comercialized, kinda like the Beemers and mercedees building SUV's and small cheap cars just so the average man can own one. Lambo and ferrari havent,,,,,,,,,,,yet

374721[/snapback]

What? Considering Lambo spent over 35 years making crappy cars that served no other purpose other than to say "hey, I've got a lot of money look at my sweet Lambo," I'd call that "commercialized." Not to mention the fact that Lambo is pulling the retro BS with the new Miura.

LM002's pretty famous--has the Countach engine in it. (Not all that impressive nowadays, but back then it was) Its main marketing feature was 100+mph on open sand IIRC.

I still rate Mid to late 80's Countaches as the best-looking car EVER. 1987-88 QV's are the very best, subtle changes to the deck and grills.

It took FOREVER for the Diablo to grow on me. Like 99's the best--new headlights, then they changed them immediately after.

I hate all Lambo's after the Diablo.

Edited by David Hingtgen

You do know that Lamborghini marketed a SUV called the LM002 a while back?

374841[/snapback]

Lambo tractors? IIRC, I think that's how he made his money in the first place, allowing him to get into automaking, i.e. making tractors/farm equipment. I can't remember the story too well now, but if memory serves, the whole reason Lamborghini started making cars in the first place was to snub his nose at ol' Ferrari [they wouldn't let him on the buyer list or something?].

And the LM002? That's like, the "OG" overpriced-posh SUV of SUV's. I think those suckers could do a buck-thirty or more? These beasties were rolling well before SUV's got so popular. Weren't those GI Joe vehicles from the 80's [the "Vamp" and the Cobra "Attack Stinger"] based on these? That's what was so cool about GI Joe from back in the day--most all of those kickass weapons were based on real-world stuff.

C0059P0071.jpg

Edited by reddsun1