The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Took both the Mustang and the Camaro in to get smogged-it was so cool to watch and listen to them running through their paces on the dyno-rollers. I hope that whoever designed the exhaust notes on these cars was treated well at their respective companies...

*Nods*  The 94-98 GT's are all over the place here, and most can be had for 5K or less.  And it has passed the true test of affordability...lots of the local college kids are driving them.   ;)  

365257[/snapback]

Just noticed that some of the illegal aliens around town are driving them too as Mustangs of that generation have become so cheap. Land of opportunity indeed..

Edited by myk

I always get depressed when I see cars like mine at the "cheap used cars for high school" type dealers, and being driven by highschool/college kids etc. My car was brand-new when I got it, and despite the excellent condition, mine is now seen as no better than an upper classmen's. :(

I always get depressed when I see cars like mine at the "cheap used cars for high school" type dealers, and being driven by highschool/college kids etc.  My car was brand-new when I got it, and despite the excellent condition, mine is now seen as no better than an upper classmen's.  :(

367779[/snapback]

When I got my M3 it was somethin, but now I feel like its all wannabes that drive em.

It's like the Ariel Atom, but with a Supercharged V8. Just the fact that they were able to get 500hp out of a super small V8 says a lot let alone putting it into a car that weighs nothing. Though I can't imagine this being safe especially in America where SUV's run (or run over) the roads, and a go kart like that is bound to get squished by an Excursion or a Yukon.

Torsion springs?

368925[/snapback]

naw, they just have those red braces for mockup, I have welded things (adjustable) that I mount in the shock areas without springs when I mock up a cars "sprung" weight

I had a chance to sit in an Elise at the Auto Show. Being 6', I thought it would be cramped but it wasn't. I wish I could of drove it because it fit like a glove. I really like it except the price. I know it has a high tech chassis but there is not much more to it. The drivetrain is from an inexpensive Toyota so that can't cost much. The one I was checking out was over $50k. It's still an impressive car, though.

I always thought the Elise/Exige was cool not just for performance but for economy, 31mpg for the Exige and higher for the Elise, that's pretty amazing.

369569[/snapback]

considering it weighs as much as a fully dressed motorcycle ;)

A car that light would mean death for alot of drivers out there. Speaking of which, I saw a rolled 'Mini on the freeway the other day. Actually, I've seen quite a few rolled cars on the freeways as of late. I have to wonder what these people are doing to wind up in those situations...

A car that light would mean death for alot of drivers out there.  Speaking of which, I saw a rolled 'Mini on the freeway the other day.  Actually, I've seen quite a few rolled cars on the freeways as of late.  I have to wonder what these people are doing to wind up in those situations...

369891[/snapback]

They drive faster than they can handle. They take turns like they see on TV or drifting videos. Or they are just idiots. The ones with high performance cars are usually new and never had anything stronger than a V6. We had this one guy with a Viper....it was not a good match as the torque must've shocked his brain because he sideswiped several poles saying the car just "was outta control!!" I've also had a lot of WRX accidents, by kids who think they can drive like a race king. Most popular cars trashed in an accident that I've seen: Civic, Eclipse, RX-8, WRX. Always some late teen or early 20 something kid trying to impress no one by revving his 4 banger through coffee can sized exhaust (The RX-8 guys at least spare us this), and going through a neighborhood right into the drainage ditch.

Then they come up and tell me (if they aren't stuck bleeding to death)..."Officer...I was only going 20 miles an hour around that turn...something's wrong with my car."

Yup...when your car is upside down in a ditch or now resembles modern art sculpture around a utility pole, it sure wasn't your fault. :lol:

Edited by Gaijin

Just seems to me that these people must have been traveling at freeway speeds, and then for one reason or another YANKED the steering wheel in one direction or the other, kinda' like the way the Terminator did with that semi in T2.

-This is really discouraging. I was going to head to an empty parking lot and see if I could drift/slide one of my cars tomorrow... :D

Just seems to me that these people must have been traveling at freeway speeds, and then for one reason or another YANKED the steering wheel in one direction or the other, kinda' like the way the Terminator did with that semi in T2. 

369959[/snapback]

What probably happened was the car got squirrley and veered to one side, so they overreact and over corrected by turning the steering way all the way in the opposite direction.

I always thought the Elise/Exige was cool not just for performance but for economy, 31mpg for the Exige and higher for the Elise, that's pretty amazing.

369569[/snapback]

considering it weighs as much as a fully dressed motorcycle ;)

369864[/snapback]

What kind of motorcycle weighs over 1600lbs? That's the lightest version of the Elise, the one we got is closer to 1800-1900lbs.

This guy is a real automotive genius: How Do I Change My Battery?. Some of the responses he got are just as bad. Someone should take the corvette away from him before he hurts himself. <_<

It was good for a laugh. I could understand being confused in some instances (some Dodge vehicles that have the battery tucked away beneath the inner fender) but the battery on the C5 is right there looking at you when you open the hood.

Edit: Maybe I am being too harsh. I suppose we all have to learn somehow. My husband knew next to nothing about vehicles when we first met.

On another note, I've read a rumour that the new GTO has been canceled. Anyone have any news? :( (I'm still tempted to find a used GTO...they have a pretty low resale in this area and I love that interior..)

Edited by trueblueeyes

Bah. Most people wouldn't know what to do with their cars if their lives depended on it. Of course, I suppose being completely ignorant is better than what I usually do, which is trying to fix/upgrade something, only to damage the car only further and having to seek professional help, lol...

Skip the GTO, you're strictly blue oval and you know it!

Skip the GTO, you're strictly blue oval and you know it!

I like my stable now, but I wouldn't buy anything in Ford's current lineup except the Shelby (and maybe the SVT Adrenaline if it gets made). It just makes me sad every time I look at the GTO. Ford has the same interior in the mustang for ten freaking years (94-04) and did almost nothing to improve it (updated console...woo-hoo!). You could finally get decent seats if you paid 30K+ for an 03-04 Cobra... Pontiac got it right with the GTO the first time. IMHO, that car has one of the best looking interiors of any car in its price range.

Edited by trueblueeyes

Bah.  Most people wouldn't know what to do with their cars if their lives depended on it.  Of course, I suppose being completely ignorant is better than what I usually do, which is trying to fix/upgrade something, only to damage the car only further and having to seek professional help, lol...

369983[/snapback]

I don't think I have ever broken anything, but I've certainly been frustrated before. And I just have to ask: Has anyone here ever bought a bolt-on product that actually just bolts right on?

Another funny question for the people with modded vehicles. According to the manufacturer of your mods, how much horsepower should you have? I just love manufacturers claims (and I don't buy the..."it is measured at the crank with no accessories running"...excuse either.) Parasitic losses will account for some HP/TQ difference but I still think they are pulling the numbers out of their rears or testing their mods on a engine that is far from stock.

There's no way to know what gains we're acutally seeing without a 'dyno. I asked my landlord if I could install one in the carport, but she said no. The only car I have with any sort of modification done is my '69 Charger, and that's all superficial stuff (intake/exhaust). Believe it or not though, I swear I felt a difference after I installed the K&N filter on it...

As for the GTO, screw any and all of its critics. It's a 'fab platform with an even more fabulous drivetrain. If I had the money of a big league baller I'd definitely buy a few...

There's no way to know what gains we're acutally seeing without a 'dyno.  I asked my landlord if I could install one in the carport, but she said no.  The only car I have with any sort of modification done is my '69 Charger, and that's all superficial stuff (intake/exhaust).  Believe it or not though, I swear I felt a difference after I installed the K&N filter on it...

As for the GTO, screw any and all of its critics.  It's a 'fab platform with an even more fabulous drivetrain.  If I had the money of a big league baller I'd definitely buy a few...

369994[/snapback]

I love my '04. I call her 'Ada'.