The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Don't quote me, but I believe that Shelby did all the under body work and threw the AC shell on it for his cobras.

313363[/snapback]

Anyone know if that's true or not? I'm curious to find out. I was always under the impression Shelby just threw big motors in the Cobra's and GT40's and little else.

Don't quote me, but I believe that Shelby did all the under body work and threw the AC shell on it for his cobras.

313363[/snapback]

Anyone know if that's true or not? I'm curious to find out. I was always under the impression Shelby just threw big motors in the Cobra's and GT40's and little else.

313431[/snapback]

I guess technically, Shelby's cars are the "real" Cobras. IIRC, the cars C. Shelby started with way back when was actually the AC Ace; it didn't become the Cobra as we know and love it until after he took the Ford running gear, slapped it all in the tiny little aluminum bodied Aces and took 'em racing [i guess the reasoning was since he so fundamentally changed the cars' character, it was like a whole new vehicle, hence the new name?]. I think he started giving those cars their own serial no's [CSX....]. Since then, as we know, C. Shelby has started building his own complete cars in-house and has continued numbering those cars CSX..... etc. etc. AC is following the same formula, i.e. put a high output V8 into the Ace body roadsters; but since it was their car body style to begin with, I suppose Shelby can't sue or anything [plus I don't think they sell any here in the US?].

313363[/snapback]

313431[/snapback]

I guess technically, Shelby's cars are the "real" Cobras. IIRC, the cars C. Shelby started with way back when was actually the AC Ace; it didn't become the Cobra as we know and love it until after he took the Ford running gear, slapped it all in the tiny little aluminum bodied Aces and took 'em racing [i guess the reasoning was since he so fundamentally changed the cars' character, it was like a whole new vehicle, hence the new name?]. I think he started giving those cars their own serial no's [CSX....]. Since then, as we know, C. Shelby has started building his own complete cars in-house and has continued numbering those cars CSX..... etc. etc. AC is following the same formula, i.e. put a high output V8 into the Ace body roadsters; but since it was their car body style to begin with, I suppose Shelby can't sue or anything [plus I don't think they sell any here in the US?].

313493[/snapback]

for me, the 289 Cobras will always be the original Cobras.

Ah, the Lambo Miura.  Still one of the most beautiful of them all.  I love the stance on this red one--although I'd bet that ride height would make any driver pucker their arse tight enough to bend steel pipe when they see an approaching pothole or speedbump.  :lol:

313337[/snapback]

Definately the most beautiful Lambo, hell, maybe the only beautiful Lambo. The backstory is awesome, gotta respect a car built out of spite!

313353[/snapback]

Yep... I love the Miura for the same reason.

Well, you guys are not gonna believe this. I traded in my Civic for a brand-new Mustang V6. And I'm lovin' it.  B))

313548[/snapback]

Did you at least get the stick?

Welcome to the family!! What other options did you get on your car? I see that you got the 17 in bullit wheels. You should check 5.0 mustang and super fords. In their last several issues they've had alot of articles and ads that show alot of the customization options being done and available for the 05's.

Well, you guys are not gonna believe this. I traded in my Civic for a brand-new Mustang V6. And I'm lovin' it.  B))

313548[/snapback]

Edited by Golden Arms

Welcome to the family!!  What other options did you get on your car? I see that you got the 17 in Bullitt wheels.

313629[/snapback]

The Mustang has the Interior Sport Appearance package (leather-wrapped steering wheel with silver spokes, silver-colored shifter). I also had the rear windows tinted (front window tints are illegal in California).

As for other options, here's what I plan to add:

1. Ducktail spoiler

2. Mustang badges on the front fenders

3. Paint the brake calipers (either black or red)

Very nice A7. My Black Gt is suppose to arrive on the 2nd.

BTW I see that you're on The Mustang Source now, I'm there, too, under Sonic Brew.

313685[/snapback]

Small world we live in. I've been a frequent lurker at the Mustang Source for the past two years.

I can't wait to see pics of your GT when it arrives.

Well don't that beat all. Right now [9-10pm, ECT] the Speed Channel is showing a pretty good little show, "Once Upon a Wheel." Hosted by Paul Newman, this film from way back when features lots of clips from interviews with great drivers from the past: Sir Stirling Moss, M. Andretti, Bobby Allison, Denis Hulme, and more. Lots of little montages of racing footage past from various disciplines. Sure, the music's kinda cheesy, but it's worth sitting through for the cool footage.

I guess the folks at Speed Channel can still pull something worthwhile out of their NASCAR-ized arses once every blue moon. A refreshing change from repeats of show after show on fu--ing NASCAR. Ferchrissakes, who gives a god-da-n about what kind of bike Kyle Busch likes to ride in the garages?! Let's get back to showing some racing!

I used to have Speed Channel until Time Warner switched up our package. Bastards :( Is the Barret Jackson car show still on there? It was great watching all of those vintage Muscle cars fetching six figures. I've been watching Formula D and some other car show on G4 lately. They had Jerry TSai from VF1X.com on Formula D.

I like the new Charger, but the idea of them turning it into a family sedan was retarded. There are several price points below the Viper that they could have placed a new sports car. Is Pontiac finished with the Trans Am and Firebird?

I guess the folks at Speed Channel can still pull something worthwhile out of their NASCAR-ized arses once every blue moon.  A refreshing change from repeats of show after show on fu--ing NASCAR.  Ferchrissakes, who gives a god-da-n about what kind of bike Kyle Busch likes to ride in the garages?!  Let's get back to showing some racing!

314102[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more, the amount of NASCAR-centered crap on that channel is ridiculous when you consider how much REAL racing there is out there that get's totally ignored. At least we get WRC coverage at odd hours on Wednesdays or whatever, still not enough.

I kinda like the new Charger, but the front end needs some work. That car was made unnecessarily ugly, just to work in the "trademark" crosshair grille design, I think. I like the Chrysler 300 much better. I don't really have too much of a problem with the idea of a "4-door hot rod," if executed correctly. Nothing wrong with combining practicality with performance. Being the father of a 3-yr old, I can see the sense in needing a sensible vehicle but not wanting to sacrifice all the fun of driving; you won't be ferrying the kids in it all the time. :D The Aussies are decades ahead of us in that aspect, with cars like the Falcon, Torana, and Commodore, respectively. They've been shoe-horning hot V8s in sedan bodies for quite some time. But don't get me wrong--there definitely should be a Charger Coupe.

That "Once Upon a Wheel" was pretty neat, with all the footage of classic racing. My, how times have changed. That Indy 500 clip showing the driver hit the wall and spin, only to unbuckle and start climbing from the still sliding and burningcar and scamper across the track [was it M. Andretti?]. Wow. The CanAm cars were--and still are--great to see in action. Coincidentally, that series is apparently going to see a revival, at least the name. The web site I saw that blurb on is temporarily down, but it previously mentioned that legendary names would be competing in no-holds-barred-racing, not parade laps, and in "modern" cars[?] Not sure what they could have in mind, but can't wait to see what develops. I just hope they'll pay attention to the mistakes of the past, and learn from them. I'm not sure what modern race chassis could evoke the same sort of excitement from that series' hey-days. Finding a level of parity [to prevent repeats of snoozers like "the Bruce and Denny show" and the "Porsche parades"] while evoking that original "the sky's the limit" feeling when it comes to the designs/performance of the cars; that's going to be tough. Unless they take some LMP675 sports car chassis, cram some big-block Chevs and Fords in 'em, and enlarge the rear fenders for wider slicks, it's going to be hard to re-create the shot-gun like performance of the original Can Am cars while maintaining some modern degree of safety in design. The original cars were essentially over-sized go-karts [anybody who's seen one w/out bodywork knows just what I mean], with big honking V8s stuffed in 'em, making for insane power/weight ratios.

post-1488-1122384503_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

I finally got the chance to get my dream car - a 2005 Infiniti G35 6mt. With 300hp, this thing has no problem exceeding all speed limits in a hurry. I can't wait to break in the motor so I can really rev it up.

post-150-1122739782_thumb.jpg

I just looked it up and both the 6mt coupe and sedan are 3512lbs. The G35 is meant to be a luxury car so I don't think the weight is as much of an issue as it is for the 350z. However, since the 350z is built directly from the Skyline, they should weigh about the same.

Ultima GTR sets new world record:

The Ultima Factory, who are the current world record 0-100mph-0 holders,

yesterday proved beyond any doubt that the Ultima GTR is the fastest accelerating and decelerating road car on the planet by setting a new world record time of 9.9 seconds for the 0-100mph-0 sprint. This is the first ever sub ten seconds 0-100mph-0 recorded in the world! The standard factory production specification Ultima GTR was powered by a 377c.i 685bhp Chevrolet V8 engine once again built by American Speed who are the official Original Equipment engine suppliers to Ultima. This engine is a standard part option available from the American Speed pricelist at www.amerspeed.com The Ultima GTR stormed from 0-60mph in 2.7secs and 0-100mph in 5.5 secs which are in themselves world record times, and braked from 100mph to zero in just 3.9 secs.

Some comparison times:

Ultima GTR 9.9secs

Ferrari Enzo 10.9secs

McLaren F1 LM 11.5secs

Porsche Carrera GT 11.6secs

Pagani Zonda 11.8secs

Porsche 911 Ruf R Turbo 13.1secs

Ferrari F40 13.8secs

Lamborghini Murcielago 13.9secs

Aston Martin DB9 14.9secs

Honda NSX Type-R 16.2secs

post-1488-1122917302_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1122917319_thumb.jpg

here's a pic just for "phyrox".i found this on ebay.the orange '72 pontiac formula next to the '70 TA was a rare 455 version of the formula.i think only a few of these was made w/ the 455 for '72.i love the formula,but man,i hate it in this orange :p

post-410-1122926082_thumb.jpg

Ultima GTR sets new world record:

The Ultima Factory, who are the current world record 0-100mph-0 holders,

yesterday proved beyond any doubt that the Ultima GTR is the fastest accelerating and decelerating road car on the planet by setting a new world record time of 9.9 seconds for the 0-100mph-0 sprint.  This is the first ever sub ten seconds 0-100mph-0 recorded in the world!  The standard factory production specification Ultima GTR was powered by a 377c.i 685bhp Chevrolet V8 engine once again built by American Speed who are the official Original Equipment engine suppliers to Ultima.  This engine is a standard part option available from the American Speed pricelist at www.amerspeed.com  The Ultima GTR stormed from 0-60mph in 2.7secs and 0-100mph in 5.5 secs which are in themselves world record times, and braked from 100mph to zero in just 3.9 secs.

Some comparison times:

Ultima GTR 9.9secs

Ferrari Enzo 10.9secs

McLaren F1 LM 11.5secs

Porsche Carrera GT 11.6secs

Pagani Zonda 11.8secs

Porsche 911 Ruf R Turbo 13.1secs

Ferrari F40 13.8secs

Lamborghini Murcielago 13.9secs

Aston Martin DB9 14.9secs

Honda NSX Type-R 16.2secs

316171[/snapback]

I'll take mine with a low-comp Dodge V8 NASCAR Cup engine.

I took our '03 Mustang GT to the local dealership today with the intention of trading it in on an '05 GT. Left instead with a 2003 Oxford White Lightning that has less than 8,000 miles on the clock. (Number #4,083 of 4,270). Already ordered a different pulley for the Eaton and have an appointment to have it dyno tuned (computer reflash) and exhaust installed. :)

It joins our 1995 Black Lightning (#264 of 2,280) and 1997 Pacific Green Cobra (#6545 of 6961). It will be hard to decide which one to get rid of when the 2007 Shelby Cobra hits the market, although we will probably wind up selling either the Cobra or the older Lighting so the insurance payments don't kill us. :(

here's a pic just for "phyrox".i found this on ebay.the orange '72 pontiac formula next to the '70 TA was a rare 455 version of the formula.i think only a few of these was made w/ the 455 for '72.i love the formula,but man,i hate it in this orange :p

Ahh, thanks for the pic.

Are you sure the TA is a '70? I didn't think the '70s had text on the shaker...at least mine doesn't. Fun cars I tell ya.

Just picked up my 2006 Dodge Magnum RT.  I'll post some pics tomorrow.

317059[/snapback]

at least you didnt get the Charger...

Did you get the AWD option?

Nismo creates commemorative ver. of the now discontinued Skyline GT-R. Called the GT-R Z-Tune [they love keeping the nomenclature simple, don't they?], only 20 will be built. Selecting used cars with less than 30K on the odometers, the engines are completely re-built and tuned to produce 495hp/398ftlbs. Racing cams, tuned shocks, lightened alloy wheels; the list of goodies is extensive. Nismo claims Ferrari-beating performance: 1/4 mi. time of 10.1 sec, 0-60 in 3.0 sec, 1.0g of lateral grip. What's the sticker? About $170,000.

$170,000? What are they, fu--ing stupid?

post-1488-1123118177_thumb.jpg

Car selling/buying thru the ages, from 1950-current:

1950's:

Salesmen: "look at all the options you have for such a low price!"

Mechanics: "the hell? options? oh, you mean those switches over there! ....these things are tunaboats with tiny V8's!!"

1960's:

Salesmen: "these things will fly! don't forget the optional air conditioning and cruise control!"

Mechanics: "Hot Damn! these things are easy to work on and easy to make em faster! WTF is Cruise Control? who needs A/C?"

1970's:

Salesmen: "dont worry about a thing people, these things will definately save you money in the long run on gas, look at how easy it is to park!"

Mechanics: "MPG? WTF is that? <Gas Crisis I & II hit> Damn! all these F***ing vacuum hoses are in my way!"

1980's:

Salesmen: "Check out our new computer controlled fuel injection! you can easily get 30 MPG while still running your A/C!"

Mechanics: "The HELL is this? Computers? since when were they small enough to put in a car? WTF are these wires all over my engine bay?!"

early 1990's:

Salesmen: "Come buy our <insert minivan name here>! you can fit <insert #> of people in here comfortably!"

Mechanics: "....we used to fit that many people in our '50's cars, you crazy salesmen!"

late 1990's-Current:

Salesmen: "Ride high with our new, bigger <Insert SUV name here>! Dont forget to test drive our <raped historical musclecar name here>!"

Mechanics: "The hell (part III)?? first you B**ch that you need MPG and now you come out with these things? Hey, didnt that used to be a musclecar?.....you call that a musclecar? you gotta be kidding!!"

kinda strange how everything goes full circle, isnt it? If we keep this up, we'll be hitting "Gas Crisis III, IV, V, and VI" soon.