The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Heard this on the radio earlier this evening...

Crashed Ferrari was 'racing' SLR

By Henry Biggs,

Last updated February 24 2006

The duel, which took place on California’s Pacific Coast Highway in the early hours of the morning saw the Enzo hitting speeds of between 150 and 200mph according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputies. The driver lost control and the car flew up a six-metre embankment before hitting a telegraph pole and being torn in half. The car left a quarter-mile trail of debris with the engine and passenger compartment coming to rest 50m apart in the middle of the road.

Witnesses say they saw the Ferrari with the SLR supercar shortly before the crash and both cars are said to be owned by Swedish millionaire Stefan Ericksson, a former executive in technology firm Gizmondo, which filed for bankruptcy last year with debts of $225 million. Sheriff’s Sergeant Philip Brooks says he received a call from the Bank of Scotland claiming it had been trying to repossess the car. Ericksson resigned from Gizmondo last October.

Click here for more on this story from the new MSN Cars blog

Ericksson, who suffered cuts and bruises, was over the California legal drink driving limit of 0.08 blood-alcohol but claims that a mysteriously absent friend, known only as 'Dietrich', was driving at the time and subsequently fled. A search of the surrounding area failed to turn up anyone matching his description.

Staff Sergeant Brooks said: "He had a .09 blood-alcohol level, but if he’s a passenger, that’s OK but he had a bloody lip and only the air bag on the driver’s side had blood on it. The passenger-side air bag did not. My Scooby-Doo detectives are looking closely into that. Maybe the driver had a friend who picked him up. Maybe he thumbed a ride. Maybe he was a ghost."

Maybe the title should read: "Fu--ing dumbass lucky to be alive, obviously has more money than sense"

The hell is that?  Where was it photo'd?  Looks like a custom coach job, but based on what?  Don't think it's a Cunningham.  That is a stumper.

375042[/snapback]

I have no idea what it is. If I did, I wouldn't ask. :-P

I think the picture was taken near Santa Barbara, CA. I'll ask the owner of the picture again to make sure. People have said Cunningham this and that, but Google turned up nothing even close to similar. Some have suggested a modified C5.

PS: Poor Enzo. That's what, the fourth wrecked Enzo now?

PPS: Why the hell is no model kit company in the world producing a kit of the McLaren SLR?

Edited by Stamen0083

I think the picture was taken near Santa Barbara, CA. I'll ask the owner of the picture again to make sure. People have said Cunningham this and that, but Google turned up nothing even close to similar. Some have suggested a modified C5.

375081[/snapback]

My first thought was that it was a heavily modified C5. The front end looks like the typical kit car style rip off design.

Yup, whatever it is, it's gotta be C5 Vette-based. I did some quick searching for Corvette pics--the evidence is in the A-pillars/windshield. Custom coach builders usually leave things like window/door glass alone don't they? I guess it'd be needlessly expensive and time consuming to have auto-grade glass made for short production run vehicles? The louvres on the front guards look "550 Maranello inspired," though.

I gotta pay better attention. Shoulda seen it in the exhaust, too...dead giveaway. Question still remains though: is it a one-off? or some kit? Nothing like a good bit of mystery...

Edited by reddsun1

That car definitely looks like a Ferrari inspired coachbuild C5 vette, very Scaglietti front end and TVR rear end. There's probably not a model kit of the SLR because it really wasn't that great of an achievement as far as super cars are concerned. Uses an off the shelf motor with a very uninspiring body, very lackluster compared to their F1 which is still coveted by many motorheads. Not to mention for less money you can get the more exotic and hotter performing Carrera GT, Ford GT, or F430 Challenge. If you really want a hot Mercedes i'd go for the SL65 AMG, that thing looks amazing and is a real marvel of design and engineering.

You do know that Lamborghini marketed a SUV called the LM002 a while back?

HLA12048b.jpg

374841[/snapback]

It's pretty bad ass looking. Saudi Arabia purchased a large number of them for it's military.

374880[/snapback]

I agree, that thing is badass! so's the H1!

There's probably not a model kit of the SLR because it really wasn't that great of an achievement as far as super cars are concerned.

375256[/snapback]

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting a kit of that thing, so achievements be damned. It's what sells, and I would bet a kit of the SLR would sell.

So my interest in cars also extends to old European cars and lately I've been wanting to start another project car...

Wouldn't it be great to get a hold of a Fiat 500? The car that Lupin himself saves a princess with? :lol:

cal.jpg

I'm sure it's an incredibly hard car to get a hold of.

41947869_673bb81224_m.jpg

All things considered Lambo still is second rate as far as performance cars compared to Porsche (as much as i hate to admit it), though i'll admit Porsche plays their 911 to death, everyone knows if both companies weren't so restricted by their atrocious amounts of pride and their VW partnership, they could crank out some of the meanest supercars on the road. In Porsche's favor, the Carrera GT was a pleasant mishap and a project in research and development for carbon fibre, imagine if they had actually put a full on effort into building a midengine V10 race car.

Lambo is also under the tight rule of VW, so when you think about it, any arguement against Porsche and Lamborgini is like an arguement against Chevy and Pontiac... they're the same friggin company, what does it matter. I'm personally just angry at VW for taking the great efforts of those companies and canabalizing it for their own gain (gallardo V10 in the new S8, Porsche Touareg), but thus is business and economics.

In response to Stamen0083's post about what car people thought that was, it appears to be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish or an Aston Martin DB9. One of those. I've seen those cars quite frequently, as I used to work for a luxury car dealership. :D Hope that answers the question.

Edited by Jasonc

All things considered Lambo still is second rate as far as performance cars compared to Porsche (as much as i hate to admit it), though i'll admit Porsche plays their 911 to death, everyone knows if both companies weren't so restricted by their atrocious amounts of pride and their VW partnership, they could crank out some of the meanest supercars on the road.  In Porsche's favor, the Carrera GT was a pleasant mishap and a project in research and development for carbon fibre, imagine if they had actually put a full on effort into building a midengine V10 race car.

Lambo is also under the tight rule of VW, so when you think about it, any arguement against Porsche and Lamborgini is like an arguement against Chevy and Pontiac... they're the same friggin company, what does it matter.  I'm personally just angry at VW for taking the great efforts of those companies and canabalizing it for their own gain (gallardo V10 in the new S8, Porsche Touareg), but thus is business and economics.

375656[/snapback]

all definatly true though ;)

In response to Stamen0083's post about what car people thought that was, it appears to be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish or an Aston Martin DB9. One of those. I've seen those cars quite frequently, as I used to work for a luxury car dealership.  :D Hope that answers the question.

375665[/snapback]

You sir, do not know your cars.

No offense.

The search continues?

375828[/snapback]

i would wager that it is a custom body. I don't know every car out there...but the fact that I recognize most, and this thing has no make/model tags lead me in this direction.

I wouldn't know which one, but as some have suggested, a c5/c6 vette seems a likely candidate.

If you have nothing but time, you could check every listing of supercars.net. Every modern supercar that gets drawn on a napkin seems to get legitimized there with an image or two.

since the red car does not appear to have any visable markings or logos, i am guessing a Kit car or Custom, the front does look alittle like a Aston Martin perhaps that was one of the inspirations.

chris

"the proof is in the pictures," as they say? We pretty much know it must be a kit car, based on a C5 Vette. The question now is, a kit by who? and are there more than one?

Also, note brake rotor and caliper in 1st pic; location of fuel filler nozzle in 2nd pic. Even the white reverse lamps are the same, just turned 90 deg. That thing's a Vette.

post-1488-1141350270_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1141350279_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

I'm almost positive i know who built that car. It looks like a car built by Callaway who's famous for their Callaway C12 (C5 Vette with all the fixins and a killer body kit) and their Callaway Twin Turbo B2K factory Vettes. This car in particular looks like he sent it to Callaway and had them make him a one off, but it has their signature "gills" behind the wheel wells which highly suggests this as a Callaway car.

I'm almost positive i know who built that car.  It looks like a car built by Callaway who's famous for their Callaway C12 (C5 Vette with all the fixins and a killer body kit) and their Callaway Twin Turbo B2K factory Vettes.  This car in particular looks like he sent it to Callaway and had them make him a one off, but it has their signature "gills" behind the wheel wells which highly suggests this as a Callaway car.

376132[/snapback]

In the mid-80's Callaway also made a limited run of Alfa Romeo GVT6's, which were very cool and now quite rare (only around 30 were made). Nowadays the cars aren't that impressive, but at the time they were. The story is that Callaway got into the Corvette business because GM was impressed by their turbo GTV6, which would embarass the C4's on the track.post-22-1141409319.jpg