The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Do you remember this?

Must've been over 20 years since I've read this and now it's going to be a film in December.

Better yet, our LOTR friends, WETA, are involved!!

Check out the featurette: http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/the_c..._of_narnia.html

Also the main site which I have yet to check out: http://www.narnia.com/index.htm

Weren't there a bunch of other books in the series? Time to hit the library......

*EDIT*

'scuse if old news, but my search came up empty. ;)

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Hmm, never liked the story. But I am sure I will see it.

I always felt like it was a Conan for nerds who couldn't identify with a REAL badass conqueror.

I always felt like it was a LoTR for small children. Later I found out that there was some kind of religious allegory in it, which turned me off even more.

It turns out, though, that Tolkien and Lewis were good friends.

I think I can avoid seeing it, unless the trailers and reviews are so great that I actually want to.

Hmm, never liked the story.  But I am sure I will see it.

I always felt like it was a Conan for nerds who couldn't identify with a REAL badass conqueror.

I always felt like it was a LoTR for small children. Later I found out that there was some kind of religious allegory in it, which turned me off even more.

I think I can avoid seeing it, unless the trailers and reviews are so great that I actually want to.

WOAH! Whats the religious stuff!?? Tell us!!!

Remember:

CROM laughs at your 4-winds.

WOAH! Whats the religious stuff!?? Tell us!!!

Remember:

CROM laughs at your 4-winds.

I think the whole "Sons of Adam, Daughters of Eve" thing would be religious enough. And if that wasn't religious enough, there's also the whole Aslan being executed, and rising again...

But, I'm looking forward to this movie. The old animated version wasn't bad, but Aslan's voice was extremely well done in the cartoon.

The Chronicles of Narnia is an overt allegory of the Bible. C.S. Lewis was a Christian apologist also famous for such books as Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters. Aslan is the name of Christ in Narnia and the second book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a retelling of the gospel message as a children's adventure.

Of course, since Disney is involved with this project and Disney has been patently anti-Christian since Michael Eisner took over the company, you can rest assured that the religious overtones will be utterly annihilated. :angry:

Edit: And yes there are seven books in all, now being published in chronological order as follows:

1. The Magician's Nephew (originally book 6)

2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (originally book 1)

3. The Horse and His Boy (originally book 5)

4. Prince Caspian (originally book 2)

5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (originally book 3)

6. The Silver Chair (originally book 4)

7. The Last Battle (originally book 7)

Edited by phoenix01

Tolkien, Lewis and one other guy... were part of a group called the Inkilings and were also called "The Oxford Christians". Tolkien was infact (according to what I've read) one of the major influences who convinced Lewis to give Christianity a try, (Lewis was a hard core atheiest). Tolkien however hated allegory (preffering to use mythology which reveiled facists of god's character rather then a direct allegory to the Bible) and so he hated The Narnia books. ^^... but yes, they both taught at Oxford at the same time, and apparantly they were great friends, who while they didn't see eye to eye on some subjects impacted each other's writing.

All of the Narnia books with the Exceptions of the Magicians Nephew, A Horse and his Boy and the Last Battle... have been made into TV movies by the BBC. Check 'em out if you want, they're not that bad.

Anyways as for the religous allegory

Magicians Nephew = Genisis

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe = The Gospels

The Last Battle = Revelations

Aslan = Jesus

The Emperor Over the Sea = God

Father Christmas = The Holy Spirit *no, really*

Tash = Satan

It's so blatant... Aslan even says at one point "I have brought you to know me in this world so that you may better know me in yours". It's really blatant.

Of course, since Disney is involved with this project and Disney has been patently anti-Christian since Michael Eisner took over the company, you can rest assured that the religious overtones will be utterly annihilated.

Oh, I think they will remain intact... infact I've read that they will... because that was part of the deal that's been negociated.

Meanwhile all the anti-christian overtones are being taken out of the His Dark Materials movies... though that's a horse of a different color.

Edited by lord_breetai

All of the Narnia books with the Exceptions of the Magicians Nephew, A Horse and his Boy and the Last Battle... have been made into TV movies by the BBC. Check 'em out if you want, they're not that bad.

I grew up watching those and I loved them, still do so I'm a little unsure about this new movie.

I've actually been reading the entire series off-and-on the last few months so I'm a bit excited about the movie, just hoping it won't suck.

I loved the series, but always liked "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe" least of all. Seen the movies, even a play. Never works as live-action IMHO.

And even when I was like 10 I could see the religious overtones in it...

I didn't know they now published them "in order". The Horse and His Boy was always my favorite.

yup.... another title that I'm tired of working on. Been on this movie for like ever. It looks pretty good though. Saw the trailer with all the green screen still in and it didn't look too bad.

I loved the series, but always liked "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe" least of all. Seen the movies, even a play. Never works as live-action IMHO.

And even when I was like 10 I could see the religious overtones in it...

I didn't know they now published them "in order". The Horse and His Boy was always my favorite.

Actually CS Lewis always commented that Children could see them better then adults.

Funny, but brief story:

Back in September of last year I was taking the "Harry Potter Class" (there's a proper name for it, but that's what everybody calls it) at Carleton University in Ottawa. Among the released works of Harry Potter, we study The Hobbit (like every other fantasy class), The Dark is Rising Sequence, Chronicles of Narnia (bought the big "one volume edition" ), and the Wizard of Earthsea.

While we were discussing The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, one student mentioned her roommate thought that the book was a paganistic writing. Even when confronted and proved about the religious overtones in the book, her roommate still wouldn't believe the allegory in the book. Part of the class found it utterly stunning, and the other part (including me), found it utterly hilarious.

Lots of fun course available at universities...

Although, if you're taking a course in Children's Literature, be prepared to dish out the cash for the books. Mind you the books are rarely over $12, but when you got to pick up 20 books, it adds up rather quickly...

Meh, could work. Don't see why it wouldn't in this day and age.

Yes, C. S. Lewis is a well-known Christain writer - can't handle that, well, too bad. He does have some pretty good quotes, one that's good for us:

When I became an adult I put away the childish things of youth - including worring about looking or acting too childish.
;)

I never saw or read anything past this movie, but I've always been wanting too. They talk as though they're doing more, so let's see. Anthony Hopkins did a good job playing him in Shadowlands, which is kind of a nice movie, more of a chick-flick maybe.

One interesting thing I heard about him is his death - when did he die? You know it, but because JFK bit the dust the same day you don't think of it that way.

One interesting thing I heard about him is his death - when did he die? You know it, but because JFK bit the dust the same day you don't think of it that way.

1963, Nov. 22, I believe. Huge C.S. Lewis fan here... more of his non-fiction than his fictional stuff. Had no idea he died on the same day as JFK. :blink:

-Al

• 3 months later...

Read 4 of the books as a kid. Will be interested on how this looks translated into a movie with Disney behind it. Saw the BBC ones long time ago. Seeing that order of the 7 books, I'm all messed up now.

i'm suprised people didn't enjoy the books. i too picked up the one volume edition after vaguely remembering the Lion,the Witch,the Wardrobe. it's a pretty fantastic tale. the christian elements don't really bother me as i just treat it as a story and not as propoganda material to try and convet me :)

Yup. I liked Narnia when I read them at about 10.

Then in high school, Narnia was the "less dense, more christian" for people who found LotR either too dark or too wordy.

It's a cute story, but the overt religious allegory kinda makes it obvious, predictable, and stale to me. I doubt the religious aspects will be taken out - particularly as religion has been doing well at the Box Office and in our government as of late. Also, I doubt the Lewis estate would really want that.

It'll be a cute movie(s), but no LotR.

Tolkien, Lewis and one other guy... were part of a group called the Inkilings and were also called "The Oxford Christians". Tolkien was infact (according to what I've read) one of the major influences who convinced Lewis to give Christianity a try, (Lewis was a hard core atheiest). Tolkien however hated allegory (preffering to use mythology which reveiled facists of god's character rather then a direct allegory to the Bible) and so he hated The Narnia books. ^^... but yes, they both taught at Oxford at the same time, and apparantly they were great friends, who while they didn't see eye to eye on some subjects impacted each other's writing.

Anyways as for the religous allegory

Magicians Nephew = Genisis

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe = The Gospels

The Last Battle = Revelations

Aslan = Jesus

The Emperor Over the Sea = God

Father Christmas = The Holy Spirit *no, really*

Tash = Satan

It's so blatant... Aslan even says at one point "I have brought you to know me in this world so that you may better know me in yours". It's really blatant.

Of course, since Disney is involved with this project and Disney has been patently anti-Christian since Michael Eisner took over the company, you can rest assured that the religious overtones will be utterly annihilated.

Oh, I think they will remain intact... infact I've read that they will... because that was part of the deal that's been negociated.

Meanwhile all the anti-christian overtones are being taken out of the His Dark Materials movies... though that's a horse of a different color.

so orcs=romans/egyptians?