Who's a big Nerd? I am!

Solscud007

Here is what it used to look like. Well It was white. Made by Simpson. But in this pic I had already given it a good sanding Earlier it had scuff marks from the previous owner who, based on the marks, fell out of his go kart and hit his head on teh pavement cause there were scratches on teh side.

post-4-1101536291_thumb.jpg

But i sanded it again. but half ass. ehh good enough. When i get a real helmet (this one is rated M) for motorcycles and go karts. some places allow M for cars. But most require SA rated helmets. I will have a professional paint this scheme on the helmet.

the back of the helmet was kinda hard to figure out something. If you look at teh macross helmet via CM's figures (that is what I based this on) there is a 3d rectangular bulge jutting out. Oh well. I was thinking later i could get Vernier lock vinyl car decals made and put them in the back corners of teh helmet.

post-4-1101536403.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

Hehe, cool. Be careful using the helmet if it had a previous impact - the shell/liners are only designed to take one blow, and that helmet might not help you when you need it.

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't sure if that warning only applied to bike helmets. Anyway...yeah...it looks cool.

way ahead of you on that. the Jolly Roger was the first thing I put on my Seat. I like it cause I like to think of my Sparco seat as my heatshield it protects me haha. Plus it is black. and the Jolly Roger is subtle. It cant really be seen from the outside. I took the bandai Jolly roger from my VF-1S reissue. I love that version of the Jolly Roger. Unlike the Nike SB Dunk shoes (hate that skull and cross bones). To me it has to be Bandai or maybe Hasegawa or even Yamato skull. Anything else seems tacky liek pirates or some stupid redneckish thing. But this skull and cross bones, the first thing i think of when I see this style is "Macross"

post-4-1101585643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

I've got a full face BMX helmet I should try that with. Not sure how it would look, since the visor doesn't end in a peak.

That looks very cool. Good job. halm.gif

Oh like a bill of a hat right? is it detachable? If so get a replacement and trim it down. easy peasy.

Yeah, they bolt right on. It's even adjustable. I just don't know if Troy Lee Designs still makes a visor that will fit it. It's an old helmet.

EDIT: After poking around on the Danscomp site, I see that the Stingray visor is still available. Cool.

Edited by Greyryder

I hope used the right paint, most of then soften the resinplastic, and helmets are only made to sustain 1 heavy impact, be carefull doodi!

well I only sanded it to roughen up the clear coat so the paint has something to stick to. You think enamel will ruin the helmet/make it less protective?

well I only sanded it to roughen up the clear coat so the paint has something to stick to. You think enamel will ruin the helmet/make it less protective?

Chances are there, some stickers will even damage the plastics

but since it's already had a bounce, you can be safe to say it's everything BUT safe

Gotta chime in here... if a helmet has had an impact... even if you only DROPPED it... TOSS IT and buy a new one. The plactic shell is really only for style and holding the foam together... once the helmet has suffered an impact the foam may be compromised... the foam is ment to crack/ break apart... thereby disipating the kinetic forces from an impact.... and saving your precious noggin! Even a hairline crack in the foam (something you'd never see or hear) could severly degrade a helmet's protective attributes. Most helmet manufacturers will outright replace or offer a discount price on a replacement helmet for one that has been in an accident.

Folks: NEVER buy... let alone use a used helmet.

And if you're gonna customize 'em, use something like 3M vinyl... or an approved paint product.

It's a sweet Macross custom helmet, but I'm much more concerned for my fellow MWorlders' safety... especially if you're racing cars!

Here is what it used to look like. Well It was white. Made by Simpson. But in this pic I had already given it a good sanding Earlier it had scuff marks from the previous owner who, based on the marks, fell out of his go kart and hit his head on teh pavement cause there were scratches on teh side.

now don't you go falling out of YOUR go-cart and scratching that putry helmet up! hahaha

(laughs as a blow by Solscud007 in my stock '02 330ci..)