captain america

Which model would you buy?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which model would you buy?

• -1/72 VF-9 Non-variable fighter.$195
    • -1/72 GBP1 TV/film ver. $115
    • -1/72 Thunder Hammer. $165
    • -I would buy all 3 if releases are spaced-out far enough

...there are several other kits I want to give priority to; namely Zentradi mech, since there isn't a snowball's chance that any plastic company will ever do them.

Plus, I think that zentradi designs are just plain kickass :lol:

360722[/snapback]

I'd love to see your take on the Glaug. The N-Ger would be nice. Then again, a Q-Rau done with your skill and attention to detail would take the cake. I think whatever you decide on next, we'll buy.

I've sworn-off doing any more toy conversions.

361827[/snapback]

Why is this?

When I poked my head in there it got snotty.  There is a clear line between models and toys.

362107[/snapback]

Seems that some of the toy folks get a bit shitty if GK conversions don't arrive looking like they were punched out of yamato moulds.

When I poked my head in there it got snotty.  There is a clear line between models and toys.

362107[/snapback]

Seems that some of the toy folks get a bit shitty if GK conversions don't arrive looking like they were punched out of yamato moulds.

363216[/snapback]

As somone who likes both the toys and the model scene I can see where your coming from. Most of the toy types would much prefrer that the Garage Kits not only look like they were made in Yamato`s molds but also that they look like they were packaged at the Yamato factory and while your at it could some one build and paint it for them.

Me personally if it aint built right I dont buy it. If it is built right it probably isnt painted right. If its not built its a kit.

Most of my toys have eaither come under the knife or have had the painting finnished.

I don't know what those toy guys were thinking when they ordered that conversion. I mean they buy toys cuz they don't want to build models, but what did they think a resin conversion was... a model that attaches to a toy. Did they honestly think they'd swap out a few parts and vroom vroom they'd be flying around the room? Come on.

I don't know what those toy guys were thinking when they ordered that conversion.  I mean they buy toys cuz they don't want to build models, but what did they think a resin conversion was... a model that attaches to a toy.  Did they honestly think they'd swap out a few parts and vroom vroom they'd be flying around the room?  Come on.

363518[/snapback]

Chad I´d say that´s EXACTLY what the toy guys thought! We modelers see a broken part or an imperfection and our brain comes up with "drill, fill, sand, prime, paint, ready in 10 minutes" - but only because we are USED to think that way.

Not meant as an insult but Toy collectors (not all of course but as a tendency) think about mint packages and stuff, and if they encounter a deficiency they are used to get all set up and call the customer service instead of thinking "what can I do to repair this broken part?". They paid money for the toy so it´s their right to complain about any difference to what was advertised or reviewed.

Needless to say that they have no concept about hand-made, resin cast items and their -unavoidable!- limitations. So, some people buy the VF-1D conversion set and get a rare addition to their toy collection, while others just get another reason to complain...

It is interesting - when I read all the threads on quality issues even with the 1/48 Yamato toys, people should come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a mass-produced, perfect toy - but then again, if you want to fix those imperfections yourselves (much more reasonable than returning the item again and again IMO) you have to be at least a little bit of a modeler.

I don't know what those toy guys were thinking when they ordered that conversion.  I mean they buy toys cuz they don't want to build models, but what did they think a resin conversion was... a model that attaches to a toy.  Did they honestly think they'd swap out a few parts and vroom vroom they'd be flying around the room?  Come on.

363518[/snapback]

Chad I´d say that´s EXACTLY what the toy guys thought! We modelers see a broken part or an imperfection and our brain comes up with "drill, fill, sand, prime, paint, ready in 10 minutes" - but only because we are USED to think that way.

363578[/snapback]

Ha exactly! well put sir!

Wow, who knew there was so much enmity towards "the toy guys" <_<

Speaking as a "toy guy" I buy them because I just don't have the time to sit and sand and fill and putty and kitbash for hours and hours in order to make a decent looking display piece. Note, I did not say that I was not willing to do so. I can do all of those things, and am currently finishing one of the D kits......myself (shocker, we're not all unskilled morons :o )

I'm not opposed to models at all, but, I happen to like the size of the 1/48 and the fact that it is mostly complete. You can tweak them to be sure, but it's not always necessary. And, when you have small children (who just LOVE to pick up itty bitty parts and run away with them) and no work room, Toys seem like the way to go.

Case in point....if I had a dollar for every time my three year old has run off with the pilot figs and the seats from the D conversion kit (while my itty bitty pea sized "toy guy" brain was trying to figure out how to make them work in the cockpit) I'd have enough to pay for the kit all over again.

Not to mention that I'd hate to become one of those Model guys who has piles and stacks of models...more than they could ever complete in a lifetime, but always saying...."one day, I'll get to them". B))

EDIT - So, John's sworn off of toy conversions eh?. Cool. My second D kit just quadrupled in value.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I'm sure it's not a question of time. Truth be told there isn't much difference between a closet full of models that won't get built and a self full of action figures on cards that won't get played with.

Toy collectors and model collectors are exactly the same but different.

Yeah but we were referring to those toy guys who were whining to the capt about his sculpt, which sounds like you weren't one of them.

Wow, who knew there was so much enmity towards "the toy guys"  <_<

Speaking as a "toy guy" I buy them because I just don't have the time to sit and sand and fill and putty and kitbash for hours and hours in order to make a decent looking display piece.  Note, I did not say that I was not willing to do so.  I can do all of those things, and am currently finishing one of the D kits......myself (shocker, we're not all unskilled morons  :o )

I'm not opposed to models at all, but, I happen to like the size of the 1/48 and the fact that it is mostly complete.  You can tweak them to be sure, but it's not always necessary.  And, when you have small children (who just LOVE to pick up itty bitty parts and run away with them) and no work room, Toys seem like the way to go. 

Case in point....if I had a dollar for every time my three year old has run off with the pilot figs and the seats from the D conversion kit (while my itty bitty pea sized "toy guy" brain was trying to figure out how to make them work in the cockpit) I'd have enough to pay for the kit all over again.

Not to mention that I'd hate to become one of those Model guys who has piles and stacks of models...more than they could ever complete in a lifetime, but always saying...."one day, I'll get to them".  B))

EDIT - So, John's sworn off of toy conversions eh?.  Cool.  My second D kit just quadrupled in value.

363664[/snapback]

I'm sure it's not a question of time.  Truth be told there isn't much difference between a closet full of models that won't get built and a self full of action figures on cards that won't get played with.

363676[/snapback]

Hey hey I built your Lancer II kit didn't I, you loved it :lol:

I'm sure it's not a question of time.  Truth be told there isn't much difference between a closet full of models that won't get built and a self full of action figures on cards that won't get played with.

363676[/snapback]

True, but I'm not one of those guys. I free my toys from their cardboard prisons as soon as I get them. I have to say that I don't get the MISB mentality at all.

Yeah but we were referring to those toy guys who were whining to the capt about his sculpt, which sounds like you weren't one of them.

Yeah, hell, the whole conversion kit was my idea, so It would have been pretty cruddy of me to bash the Cap. Especially considering that I couldn't have pulled off that kit in a thousand years. I'm pretty good at modifying, but scratch building???.... :unsure: All in all, I love my D kit. I just wish I would stop running out of paint. Damn Tamiya flats, they look SO good, but you waste 2/3 of the can because they come out in such a fine mist.

Well toys are for playing with and models are for building. if its MISB so what. It still comes out and gets displayed and the box put in the attic just in case its nedded ever like for house moves or stuff..

If you have a love for un made kits or still boxed toys well its your bag you fill it how you want.

I personally am sortta in the middle. I have some toys and models in boxes still but I will be building most of them and displaying the toys.

There are only a few I wont display because I already have one on display or that they were so ultra rare or damm expensive Im scared of devaluing them. Where ever that is the case Im always looking for a duplicate to display.

Im as proud of my Macross as my parents are of their bronzes and china.

Current score is 10 macross kits eaither part finished or still boxed, 9 1/55`s all displayed some factory fresh others modded except one which is in need of cosmetic surgery. several 1/60 and 1/48 Yammies ALL out of the boxes and strutting their stuff in my display cabinet in my lounge room.

Between them and my Transformers computers, Bonsai trees and cactus theres not much room left.

Collect how you like...................

Just collect Macross thats all....

Edited by big F

For the 1/72 thunder hummer are you going to make the valk and the armor or just a conversion kit armor for the hasegaw battroid? Why dont you make a 1/48 thunder hummer conversion armor just like you did for the vf 1d?

from Rich

:D

363676[/snapback]

Coby... I'm shocked and appalled! :o

If that shocked you, then you have got to see my closet.

And my storage unit.

And the back of my pickup.

Guys...I think I might have a problem.

363824[/snapback]

Welcome to "Valkaholics not so anonymous" the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem... well done :lol:

Wow, who knew there was so much enmity towards "the toy guys"  <_<

363664[/snapback]

I don't think there is so much emnity towards "Toy Guys".

Personally I just think the complainers probably ruined it for the rest who may have benefitted from other conversions by John.

The same thing may have happened from "model guys" had we complained in public without getting the good gen, and generally made life awful, but it didn't.

All this started when some toy blokes chimed in on a 1/72 scale kit interest thread and tried to high jack it into a 1/48-1/60 project.

Sorry I didn´t want to sound like I wanted to bash toy collectors or even express enmity towards them! I was just pointing to some differences in mentality between toy and kit people, and I was talking about tendencies, not black and white stuff.

Of course I think the majority of the toy collectors can and do appreciate things like the Captain´s conversion kit - I was just wondering about the reasons why SOME people just keep complaining.

I once worked in a toy retail shop and I have met quite some customers who really LOVED complaining about everything. Returning an item several times even seemed to be the most fun part of their hobby... of course they were all Germans :(:D but you can obviously find these people all around the world.

By the way, seen from the outside (ask my girlfriend), both toy collectors and modelers are generally regarded as the same strange species, so we are all in the same boat ;)

By the way, seen from the outside (ask my girlfriend), both toy collectors and modelers are generally regarded as the same strange species, so we are all in the same boat ;)

364334[/snapback]

Ahhhh We are ALL Macross geeks. :wacko:

364334[/snapback]

Ahhhh We are ALL Macross geeks. :wacko:

364508[/snapback]

Model geeks tend to be older it seems :lol:

364334[/snapback]

NEVERRRR!!!

Edited by Berttt

364334[/snapback]

NEVERRRR!!!

364700[/snapback]

:D As I said, from the outside - of course we know better!! ;)

Sorry I didn´t want to sound like I wanted to bash toy collectors or even express enmity towards them! I was just pointing to some differences in mentality between toy and kit people, and I was talking about tendencies, not black and white stuff.

364334[/snapback]

I always thought of toy people as individuals that lacked the ability and or the imagination to evision and realize their own toys...

I am a toy person, by the way...