Good UC Gundam lineart book?

Majestic

I'm looking for a nice, big, comprehensive UC Gundam lineart book, covering most or all of the series.

I'm a fan of lineart books, and I'm sure Gundam has spawned a thousand of them.

Is there an ultimate volume out there? Or one that is recommended in particular?

The one I have is an encyclopedia. Kind of thick, large format, paperback, with a big monochromatic beige colored RX-78 mug shot on white background as bookcover. Came out a few years back, with very comprehensive lineart (both color & black & white) of pretty much all the UC, MSV stuff... even some Alternate universe stuff like Wing & X. Cost kind of cheap, like $30+ for a book this packed. Picked it up at Kinokuniya long time ago.

I think I saw an updated version of that same book like a year or two ago, with some added info of more recent shows. But can't really remember the full name of the book. I have the old version at home, but I am at work right now.

So thats all I can recall from my memory.

There are tons of Gundam books out there, but this encyclopedia one I bought seems to be the most comprehensive one, without being too pricey. Won't have info on Seed, but plenty of UC & older shows. Hope you can find it.

• 2 years later...

Just to resurrect this really old topic I want to buy a Gundam Encylopedia or Gundam Artwork book

I came accross Gundam Illustrated 2006 ( You can find 2003 one scanned here

IPB Image

Any other books you can think of on Gundam. All reccomendations welcomed :)

Edited by Sevket_Erhat

I have the 2003 book. As the scans of it indicate, it is fairly comprehensive, but there isn't very much on individual mobile suits - slightly more for the more famous ones. The book has put a few MS in spots that I didn't find logical - but I'm not a big Gundam fan, so I may be missing the justification used.

I recommend it, if you want the lineart of virtually all of the Gundam MS in one book.

While not being "all-in-one" volumes, you might want to take a look at the "Newtype 100%" books. While these only cover one series at a time, they do include all sorts of background and item art that you don't get in the books that concentrate on the mecha alone. I know that there are books for Zeta, ZZ, and Chars Counterattcak, not sure about others - though I'd love to know if there was ever a "Turn-A" book...!

While not being "all-in-one" volumes, you might want to take a look at the "Newtype 100%" books. While these only cover one series at a time, they do include all sorts of background and item art that you don't get in the books that concentrate on the mecha alone. I know that there are books for Zeta, ZZ, and Chars Counterattcak, not sure about others - though I'd love to know if there was ever a "Turn-A" book...!

I'd love a Gundam 0080 book like that. Damn, I wonder if it exists? Must have! :)

Any links for these Newtype 100% books ?

http://moeroshop.net/index.php?main_page=i...mp;cPath=27_205

This page has one of the Zeta Gundam books. I picked mine up at various conventions in the UK a few years ago; I would suggest trying the usual culprits - e-bay, celga and perhaps anime collector retailers like kimono my house. Its possible at least some of them may be reprinted on occasion, in which case you may want to keep an eye on Hobbylink Japan and the like.

http://moeroshop.net/index.php?main_page=i...mp;cPath=27_205

This page has one of the Zeta Gundam books. I picked mine up at various conventions in the UK a few years ago; I would suggest trying the usual culprits - e-bay, celga and perhaps anime collector retailers like kimono my house. Its possible at least some of them may be reprinted on occasion, in which case you may want to keep an eye on Hobbylink Japan and the like.

Thanks for the link

I sold my MS Encyclopedia a few days ago over Ebay because I ordered the 2k6 version.

Media Works also released the linearts + more detailed background information about the mechas and the shows in smaller technical manuals known as Data collection. Tokyo pop managed to translate these in english. The pictures are the same like those in the MS Encyclopedia just a bit smaller. I got Book 2+3 they cover the one year war Gundam series, 8th MS team, War in the pocket, Stardust memory and Blue destiny. Only the price is a bit high for a 95 paged pocketbook.

tokyo pop's dengeki Gundam technical manual

I also ordered these two books

G20 Rivival Side A

G20 Rivival Side B

The Rapport Deluxe Gundam Book are also very good lots of colour& b/w pictures on about 200+ pages for 1400~1800Yen. Don't know if they're still printed or sold. I only know there was a reprint of all books in 1999.

If there's a 100% Newtype Turn ∀ Book #2 Than there must also be book#1

Sorry I thought you would search through the links from Hobby link Japan. HLJ MS Encyclopedia 2006

Mine still didn't arrive so can't tell you if the Advance of Zeta art is also in it. But the content should be the same as the"White Base"-HP scans from MS Encyclopedia 2003 + ~40p Gundam Seed/Destiny,MS Igloo lineart ,I guess.

Edited by TSP

Sorry I thought you would search through the links from Hobby link Japan. HLJ MS Encyclopedia 2006

Mine still didn't arrive so can't tell you if the Advance of Zeta art is also in it. But the content should be the same as the"White Base"-HP scans from MS Encyclopedia 2003 + ~40p Gundam Seed/Destiny,MS Igloo lineart ,I guess.

Thanks a lot for the link I found the book for $ 35 on Ebay but I'll go for this one since it is much much cheaper

There's only about a zillion Gundam lineart books been published over the years. I used to have a whole shelf full of them (25+ books), when I was younger and foolish and into Gundam. I ended up giving away or throwing out most of them and now have just kept a few on Gundam Sentinel, 08th MS Team, V-Gundam, Char's Counter Attack & 0080 War in the pocket, as these are the only Gundam I like.

Graham

There's only about a zillion Gundam lineart books been published over the years. I used to have a whole shelf full of them (25+ books), when I was younger and foolish and into Gundam. I ended up giving away or throwing out most of them and now have just kept a few on Gundam Sentinel, 08th MS Team, V-Gundam, Char's Counter Attack & 0080 War in the pocket, as these are the only Gundam I like.

Graham

Wow. You liked V-Gundam, Graham?! I just saw it recently, and although I wouldn't say its a bad show, it was a bit of a stuggle. My overall impression was that everyone involved, from Tomino on down, just didn't have their heart in it.

Mind you, I think the Turn-A Gundam is one of the best Gundam designs of all time, so what do I know? :)