Goin to NYC

Sazabi

:ph34r: Hello guys!.

been atleast half a year or something since i last posted on these boards. Im glad to see so many of the "old folks" still posting.

Anyways, my girlfriend is flying over to New York on the 14th. I just wonderd where you can go pick up some anime in the Manhattan area!.

Would be glad to get some adresses to places.

//Dan..

ahhh...The Forbidden Planet! That was about the beginning & end all of SF/Anime

sources way back in the summers of '82-'84. I and one of my best friends from HS use to cruise Manhattan looking for hidden troves of rare, imported anime(back in the day when it was definitely niche market.

We used to reminisce over Star Blazers and waking up @05:30 just to watch it, fall back asleep and then get up in time to get to school.

That was also that glorious Macross summer, when pictures & models of VF-1s, Battle Pods and Destroids first started showing up. We used to hang around SF conventions w/out the money to get inside & truly enjoy :( . Also the first time I saw super detailed & finished Macross models. Addicted for life!

Back then, there was also a branch of Forbidden Planet Uptown, at about Park Ave. or 3rd & 59St. It had piles of Southern Cross kits for the longest time. May not be there now, 20-odd yrs.

Vesp

Yeah, surprisingly one of the largest cities in the world has a really small selection for Anime stuff.

You have (in quality of stuff order not prices):

Image Anime (They get all my Transformer business.)

103 West 30th Street

New York, NY 10001

Toy Tokyo around St. Marks which has lotsa neato stuff

121 2nd Avenue

Second Floor

NYC, NY 10003

Elizabeth Center on Elizabeth Street in Chinatown

Don't know the exact address but it's on Elizabeth Street and Canal Street.

Forbidden Planet in Union Square

Any other place is blah unless you're willing to come out here to Queens where you have Animecastle, Akihabara Toys and some other places which I can't think of.

ahhh...The Forbidden Planet! That was about the beginning & end all of SF/Anime

sources way back in the summers  of '82-'84.  I and one of my best friends from HS use to cruise Manhattan looking for hidden troves of rare, imported anime(back in the day when it was definitely niche market.

For some reason Forbidden Planet seems to have taken to clearing out their anime stuff. The racks of MG Gundam models are replaced by SF novels. Back freshman year (99-00) I remember seeing some Trigun and GitS figures. Gundam is always in supply (except for MG/PG models). To be quite honest, while the place is great for comics and SF, the anime stuff stands out because there isn't a lot of alternatives in the area.

Kim's Video at St. Mark's has some "imported" anime DVD and CDs on and off, so that might be worth checking out.

6 St. Mark's Place (between

Second and Third avenues)

There IS this place further down on Astor, little hole in the wall that's quite impressive, although I can't remember the exact location for the life of me.

Might have some luck in some of the toy stores in Chinatown... Mott St. has some selections.

If you wanna go as far out as Flushing, then there's a store dedicated to anime and Tamiya supplies somewhere around Flushing Mall.

Edited by Akilae

Hudson Bar in the Hudson Hotel.  No anime stuff but tons of fun.  The largest collection of beautiful people I've ever seen in my life.

isn't that a gay bar? :huh: just kidding. :p:D:lol:

theres mad places in the city if you want to find some good looking women but good looking women tend to be high maintenance, like when it takes a girl an hour to get ready so we can get a slice of pizza. i don't care how hot the girl is, its just something i can't deal with at all. :mellow:

back on topic,

image anime is a completely rip off, so i wouldn't bother going there. i went in with $1000- looking to blow the whole shabang but this guy wouldn't show me no love and insisted i pay tax. <_< theres a unwritten rule for small retailers in the city, if you got cash, you don't pay tax.

elizabeth street is a crap shoot, sometimes they got stuff, sometimes they got nothing. definitely not a bad spot if you're looking for model kits and gundam stuff. they usually got some 1/60 and 1/72 but they're way over priced.

mott street, that place used to be alright but now its a yugi-oh/magic/pokemon place so they're ain't much there.....not even gundam. :o

kim's video is alright, sometimes you can get a great deal, sometimes its a straight rip off. they used to have a bunch of cool toys there but haven't been there in a while. not neccessarily a good thing, but they turned it into a chain store.

forbidden planet, good stuff, but you better have deep pockets, you've been warned.

toy tokyo, haven't found my way there yet but i hear good things about it. take a chance, how bad could it be?

anime castle in queens, a little over priced, but i've only seen there auctions on ebay. they could be nice to you if you go to their shop....but its all the way out in queens!

• 18 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Dan! Welcome back to the boards! If your girlfriend is an anime fan, she's in for a treat in New York City. I highly recommend checking out Anime Castle in Queens for a fantastic selection of anime goodies. I had a great experience there, and I'm sure she'll love it too. You can find more information about the store and its location here. Have a wonderful time exploring the anime scene in NYC!

• azrael locked this topic