robot-battles in Robo-One convention (japan)

treatment

As reported in Slashdot (www.slashdot.org),

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0810/roboone.htm

man, i wish they had a motorized Yammie!

With the GU-11 gun pod ofcourse! :D

omigod japanese rock. I mean what does the rest of the world have? Lego Mindstorms what a buck of crap!!!! Even our best and brightest (ie Caltech and MIT) I doubt they are making such sophisticated robots. Granted they have autonomous machines blah blah blah that can gather ping pong balls ut do they look as cool as these amatuer robots? I mean that one in the mpeg got up after being knocked around!!!!!!

Do anyone know if these bots are remote control or autonomies? I can't read much from the offical site: http://www.robo-one.com/ and the English media coverages linked there are mostly fluff.

robo-one_s.jpg

radio controled unlike the autonmous ones mit has btw. the controllers proly have several buttons to trigger the program events like punching or kicking.

Geez you guys hoping for a transforming one obviously don't know how tough control theory is, do you? :rolleyes: Besides, don't you realize what's missing in nearly all of these shots? That's right, women! You can either get your fancy robots, or your lovin. Life doesn't allow for both. ;)

My personal favorite was the one with the huge knife. KILL! :D

i would love to have one of those. but looking at the prices on the kits i would need to spend up to 5 grand. i would think if someone found a way to mass produce them enough to lower the price dramaticly so like everyone can afford a ready to run kit and provide like upgrade stuff he/she would be a rich person.

omigod japanese rock. I mean what does the rest of the world have? Lego Mindstorms what a buck of crap!!!! Even our best and brightest (ie Caltech and MIT) I doubt they are making such sophisticated robots.

Funnily enough, I'm just reading a book by Kevin Warwick, Professor of Cybernetics, at Reading University, UK. His team were the first to have one robot programme another with skills it had learnt over the Internet (effectively "teaching"!). Professor Warwick also recently had a computer chip implanted in his arm that allowed him to control a robot arm through his own nervous system.

Also, up until a couple of years ago, Robot Wars was a very popular programme on BBC television, and although many designs were of the "dustbin on wheels with an axe attached" type, some, like the awesome Razer, were very elegant.

The main advatange enjoyed by the Japanese is a rich history of robots in popular culture, backed by large development budgets - hence the Honda Asimo and Sony robot, whose chief designers have stated they were inspired by Astro-Boy!

Speaking of which, the guy in some of the images that looks like your favourite uncle (well, if you're Japanese!) - thats Go Nagai.

Yes, that Go Nagai...! B))