The AVP MegaThread

I just seen it. Damn this movie sucks ass. The characters don't get ANY development and when they died...i just said "meh".

And WTF was it with Lex's makeshift weapons? OMFG......I LOL-ed like hell on that scene.....GEEZ!! The spear, I can forgive. But teh !@&*@*(! other one? OMFG!! :lol:

Paul anderson can say alot of things to cover his ass...but really....accelerated birth hormones or whatever....please don't touch Aliens or Predator ever again.

Ladies and Gens,

after reading all the pose of bashing and beating dead on the film,.. I went and saw the movie anyway..

It's an enjoy-able film I must say, especially from a non-fanatic. There's some cool scene and there's some bad plots for sure,.. but still very enjoy-able..

I must say that the 1st 2 Predator sure die quicker than I expected,.. but the last Pred sure doesn't disappoint. One of my favorate scene is the last Predator using his Nija star killing the Alien on his back.. I think that was very stylish..

And can someone tell me what's up with the last scene? What the heck is that? a Mix of Alien and Pred? .. "Boy that's sure ugly".. I got a feeling that there's gona be another one.. since they seems to have a pretty good profit from the box office.. I just hope that they bring the story back to the "Aliens" timeline with the bad-ass MARINES!!! Or similar to the video game Alien vs Predator.. any who, I think it's a movie that's worth watching if you are not too picky on the needdy griddy detail.. here's my 2 cens

Have a great day,

L

• 3 months later...
You guys are all just hatin' on AvP! It's gonna rawk, you'll see. Paul Anderson may have never made a good film in his career, but he's going to knock this one outtta tha park, dawg!

Where are these people now? Oh, that's right. It's December and the movie has come and gone. And sucked, we can't forget that.

/waits for somebody to show up and defend the lameness that was AvP

You guys are all just hatin' on AvP! It's gonna rawk, you'll see. Paul Anderson may have never made a good film in his career, but he's going to knock this one outtta tha park, dawg!

Where are these people now? Oh, that's right. It's December and the movie has come and gone. And sucked, we can't forget that.

/waits for somebody to show up and defend the lameness that was AvP

Actually, I'm still here :)

I stand by my earlier decision that it wasn't the greatest movie of all time, nor was it entierly lame. It was mindlessly entertaining summer movie drivel. That's all I went in expecting, and that's what I got. So there, take that :p

(then again, I AM someone who likes Robotech, the American Guyver movies, Orgun...)

Seeing as this movie is officially "out" of theatrical release now we can look at it's box office numbers and get a clearer picture of it's success/failure. Here's the data to date:

Total US Gross: $80,281,096

Production Budget (est.): $70,000,000

Worldwide Gross: $102,481,096

So the movie did actually make money. Not gobs and gobs but in a business like Hollyweird when you can loose the farm or buy hundreds of farms just on the stake of one movie this one did better than break even.

As for it's DVD release just like M. Night Shaymalan's "Village" it was pushed back into January, fearing holiday cometition with the other big name DVD releases. Word on the street is it was a Pimp named Silky... oh wait... went into Huggy bear mode there again. Release date is January 25, 2005 on DVD.

In all truth the movie still made back it's production budget... it's the DVD sales that will return the marketing budget as is usually the case for movies like this. DVD sales are always thought of as the "recoup" period of many film's releases... they "automatically" sell a certain number of copies to the rental places and mass retailers.

If anything AvP is another glorious example of "Break Even Syndrome" that Hollywood has come to embrace. They make films today basically to "break even" when all the cards are down. Break even movies keep everyone employed and keep the cameras rolling and the lights hot. They buy that tenth Mercades on the blockbusters success or failure.

In all truth the movie still made back it's production budget... it's the DVD sales that will return the marketing budget as is usually the case for movies like this. DVD sales are always thought of as the "recoup" period of many film's releases... they "automatically" sell a certain number of copies to the rental places and mass retailers.

So in other words, the only way as a consumer to stop a possible sequel from being made is to AVOID the DVD release at all costs!

I would think that a "sequel", be it a traditional linear sequel (AvP 2) or offshoot (Aliens vs. Predator vs. Soupey Sales) is... as they put it in Hollywood... "natural" at this point. I think the only way this movie would have never spawned a sequel is if it had just totally tanked. And the sad thing is that even in today's world nothing totally tanks anymore. My two favorite examples of things that by all accounts totally tanked and took their makers down with them are Final Fantasy Spirits Within and Gigli. Both completely tanked at the box office... I mean, they went down with all hands tanked. Ishtar level tanked. Yet for some stupid reason they both made more money in the aftermarket DVD sales and rental arena. Truth be told it was still not enough in either case to save the movies but in the case of FF:SW it has had not one but two DVD releases and rental releases... add those numbers together and that $100+ million box office loss starts to vanish fast.

I think the chance to kill AvP was when it was in the theaters... and it did not happen. A sequel will most likely be coming soon to my (and other's) dismay. In the end, like it or hate it AvP is just another straw in the hay square of modern Hollywood business practices: release a sub-par movie focused on a target audience with disposable income and very low expectations and make just enough money to keep the studio afloat. That is the blessing and curse of the media of movies, as the viewers get too old to "like" the tripe another generation of dumb kids with money in their pockets shows up to take their place. We are the older people now, we demand more from our entertainment... but the young turks that took our spot don't just like we did then. The cycle continues. Us bitching about how we hated the movie is expected... as is the sequel that we will bitch and moan about even more. In 1984 Aliens was for us... this is 2004, AvP is for them.

Ok. <weeps> I had hoped that reality wouldn't sink in concerning this and they would just "forget Aliens and Predator and simply move on to the next franchise to kill. "Disposal income"..... There's just so much wrong with that to even begin.

Edited by Jemstone