NEW Video of Sony's PSP in ACTION!

UN Spacy

LeYawn.. :blink: FMV, no supprise that's Sony's main focus - yet it's the ACTUAL play that makes a system good. Even the new GBA Kingdom Hearts is boasting PS2-quality FMV. So what? <_<

Given that FMV is used as a medium to explain plot, the ability to play quality FMV scenes is just fine by me.

As far as Kingdom Hearts goes, that game has problems besides FMV.

That Gran Turismo footage was FMV? It looked like real-time to me... if it is indeed real-time, those are incredible graphics for such a small system.

Oh yea, that cat game blew my mind! Nothing says "killer app" like a game with super deformed cats! :lol:

Edited by Keiichi

That Gran Turismo footage was FMV? It looked like real-time to me... if it is indeed real-time, those are incredible graphics for such a small system.

Oh yea, that cat game blew my mind! Nothing says "killer app" like a game with super deformed cats! :lol:

I believe the GT footage is real time. The FMV problem in question comes from the PSP's capability to do FMV at all. Some people have this obsession where all of their in-game events need to happen using the graphics engine, rather than special cutscenes that might do a better job.

I agree with bloodcat. I dont think the PSP is practical enough. Whats the point of having a PSP if you can play those same games on a PS2? I dont beleive portable justifies it enough. If im going portable, I would get the new game boy.

And it won't fit in my pockets and will most likely suck batteries the way the stars of Vivid.. well.. you know..

Ill go Nintendo DS thanks. Pocket sized, something different, GBA compatibility, probably less than half the price.

It wins hands down.

its already known the battery life is something not to be proud off. you need something short of a micro fusion reactor to make it truely portable.

The PSP's tecnological strengths are overshadowed by its weaknesses...

Ridiculously short battery life.

High price tag for a "portable," (estimated $250-$300) due to features we don't need, like the ability to play movies.

The fact that we'll have to re-buy said movies on Sony's UMD format, if we want to take advantage of said feature.

Lack of content (the best game announced so far, GT4, will be a straight port of the PS2 version).

Sony's reputation for fragile systems. That's an extra sting, given the PSP's ridiculous price.

Granted, most of those complaints can be easily addressed by releasing the PSP at a much more reasonable price... but I don't see it happening.

On this particular afternoon in August, the Nintendo DS is just looking better. Forget the dual screen gimmick, the games are there (New Super Mario Bros. looks awesome, and a new Castlevania was announced for it). Not to mention Nintendo's reputation for quality hardware, the clamshell design to protect the screens, and the fact that it plays my already large library of GBA games. And the price looks better... forget EB's presale info, the DS is atually looking to retail at just $150, and Nintendo has talked about how cheap the DS carts will be to produce, so I'd say the games are going to retail at the same $29.99 that GBA games have been retailing at.

yawn. . . . . :lol: you guys really need to go to E3. haha Then you can touch and watch. hehe like me.

me too. hey sol, if i touched the PSP, and YOU touched the PSP, its like we touched each other!

awww. :wub:

On this particular afternoon in August, the Nintendo DS is just looking better. Forget the dual screen gimmick, the games are there (New Super Mario Bros. looks awesome, and a new Castlevania was announced for it).

... How is the second screen a gimmick? True, not every game will make the second screen worthwhile--Super Mario 64 DS, for example, has a dinky 2D map on the second screen--but I can imagine plenty of games that could make proper use of that second screen. Imagine a remake of the original NES Zelda with the status screen on the second screen. Or a new Metroid with an area map on the second screen, complete with weapon/item icon placements.

The second screen can be quite helpful, and it's far more than just a gimmick... but, like with consoles, wait a couple of years before you buy a portable. Prices will lower, hardware quality will go up, and you'll know which one has the better games.

I have to agree with those that just don't think the PSP, for all it's impressive marvels, is worth the price. I have limited funds to distributed between several expensive hobbies, and I mainly play videogames out of the house, on the bus, on roadtrips, or at work, where I have no access to a power outlet.

Combined with the fact that I'd rather play a good 2D game than a mediocre 3D game with mind blowing graphics, and my GBA SP suits me just fine.

I am interested in the DS, however I do hope that it's 3D capabilities will not mean an end to what is pretty much our only 2D gaming system.

As neat as the PSP looks, I probably won't be getting one any time soon. I'm not even sure if I'd get the DS. The handhelds are mainly there to keep me busy on a flight or when I'm in-between matches at a volleyball tournament.

If anything I'd probably be more keen on getting the DS so I can still use my small GBA collection.

On this particular afternoon in August, the Nintendo DS is just looking better.  Forget the dual screen gimmick, the games are there (New Super Mario Bros. looks awesome, and a new Castlevania was announced for it).

... How is the second screen a gimmick? True, not every game will make the second screen worthwhile--Super Mario 64 DS, for example, has a dinky 2D map on the second screen--but I can imagine plenty of games that could make proper use of that second screen. Imagine a remake of the original NES Zelda with the status screen on the second screen. Or a new Metroid with an area map on the second screen, complete with weapon/item icon placements.

The second screen can be quite helpful, and it's far more than just a gimmick... but, like with consoles, wait a couple of years before you buy a portable. Prices will lower, hardware quality will go up, and you'll know which one has the better games.

The second screen is a gimmick, because while you and I might be able to think of a use for it, so far the only use developers seem to use for the second screen is as a map screen. And yeah, that can be handy (especially with a new Castlevania), but it's still gimmicky. Gimmicks aside, though, the DS seems to have a better design, better price, and better software.

For some reason, the Nintendo DS has always rubbed me the same way as the VirtualBoy, and damn did that thing suck.

:lol:

virtual gb was ahead of its time and it failed majorly. if it had gba gfx and colors it may do slightly better.

For some reason, the Nintendo DS has always rubbed me the same way as the VirtualBoy, and damn did that thing suck.

:lol:

Ugh the Virtual Boy. I was in Toys R Us trying that out one day....I took it off and I felt like I was drunk lol

I'm more interested in the PSP but I'll wait and see. I like the list of games released so far. Not exactly thrilled that the games are 49.99(at least they are now at EB) or the rumored price tag.

The biggest travesty of the Virtual Boy was that Nintendo screwed it up, despite the complaints of designer Gumpei Yokoi, and then when they released the butchered design and it failed, he was pretty much forced to resign from Nintendo.

DS doesn't really strike me as a Virtual Boy situation, though. The second screen seems gimmicky, unless developers do something innovative with it, but otherwise it seems like a solid system. It's still quite small and portable, likely to have plenty of battery life, and comes with an already present library of excellent games along with the promise of some very exciting new games. Virtual Boy had none of that going for it.

The thing of it is, Nintendo keeps on saying it's its "3rd Pillar" or something, leading one to believe it is A) trying to somehow create another type of gaming platform, B) trying to fool people to keep pouring so much money into the GBA line, or C) Nintendoballs 10: The Search For Even More Money. :D

My bet is that, though they want C, they're aiming for B. B))

The second screen is a gimmick, because while you and I might be able to think of a use for it, so far the only use developers seem to use for the second screen is as a map screen. And yeah, that can be handy (especially with a new Castlevania), but it's still gimmicky. Gimmicks aside, though, the DS seems to have a better design, better price, and better software.

Sorry, but I don't see it that way. This is like looking at the first-generation 3D games and saying, "This is all they can do with polygons. Let's go back to 2D. Street Fighter is a better game than Toshinden and Virtua Fighter."

These are launch titles, most of which don't even have final names, working on the first system ever to allow two displays at once. The only use of the second screen as a map screen I've seen comes from the Super Mario 64 port, and I really doubt that's going to be its only use.

All I'm saying is, instead of criticizing right out of the gate, wait until you see a representative sample.

The biggest travesty of the Virtual Boy was that Nintendo screwed it up, despite the complaints of designer Gumpei Yokoi, and then when they released the butchered design and it failed, he was pretty much forced to resign from Nintendo.

Gumpei Yokoi didn't resign, he was just reassigned. He designed the controller for the N64, IIRC. His career wasn't killed by the Virtual On, but rather by the car that hit and killed him one night.

man...i bet nintendo is kicking themselves for screwing sony back in the day when sony developed a game system for them (the PS1) but whatever...nintendo is gettin theres now...eventually we're gonna see mario, zelda, and pokemon games for playstation systems :lol::lol:

Gumpei Yokoi didn't resign, he was just reassigned. He designed the controller for the N64, IIRC. His career wasn't killed by the Virtual On, but rather by the car that hit and killed him one night.

Really? I could have sworn that Gumpei had left Nintendo prior to that, shortly after the Virtual Boy fiasco, and I'm fairly certain he was working for Bandai (I believe he deisgned, or at least did work for the Wonderswan) when he was killed in that car accident.

man...i bet nintendo is kicking themselves for screwing sony back in the day when sony developed a game system for them (the PS1) but whatever...nintendo is gettin theres now...eventually we're gonna see mario, zelda, and pokemon games for playstation systems 

the day that happens is when hell freezes over. of the three console makers if you look at the games business alone, nintendo is in the best financial position with nearly 6 billion dollars+ in capital, the best first party devlopment studio in the world,and not only that shiguru Miyamoto. Sony and M$ on the other hand have other businesses which buey there losses in hardware(everyone knows you make money in the console hardware business by software licenceing). despite nintendos positition in the marketplace, they still remain the most profitable, and this on nearly almost FIRST party games with exception to the gba.

Secondly if ANY company knows the portable business its nintendo. Sony may have a nice syestem in the PSP but they kinda shot themselves in the balls with the projected battery life,and the Disc format, and the likely fraglieness of the psp, portable syestems are ment to be rugged, i could walk out of my room right now and toss my GBA at a wall,and the wall would have a dent, not the gba. if i threw a psp at a wall, id be one very stupid for throwing a $300 dollar portable at a wall and secondly it would prolly break, sony doesnt have the best track record when it comes to reliablity.

as for the Ds myself after seing the redesign, i am more pleased with the syestem than ever,mainly because its something New. the PSP face it guys is nothing more than an portable ps2, which is fine, but it offers nothing new in the game design department. whare as the dual screens of the DS offer a designer to implement various new idea's. personally aside from map screen stuff, id hope to see say square enix in there planned seiken densetsu game, apply the 2 screens for use in multiplayer game, that way say if your in one area, you can be watching your buddies in another room throw a switch to open a passage forward, without being teathered to them as a party.

which brings me to the next thing about the DS, Multiplayer. Now from the specs, the psp and the DS are pretty evenly stacked when it comes to wireless capablity, but i think what nintendo means by its "3rd pillar" is connectivity, this thing is going to become the new poster child for connectivity, with all of its various wireless technlogy some of the recently announced games for DS even mention the magical word "internet" something not expected from the big N.

all ive seen of PSP so far is FMV, *yawn*. as it stands now, my moneys going to nintendo, the DS looks to actually bring something new to the plate, and affordable. Try again sony.

The second screen is a gimmick, because while you and I might be able to think of a use for it, so far the only use developers seem to use for the second screen is as a map screen.  And yeah, that can be handy (especially with a new Castlevania), but it's still gimmicky.  Gimmicks aside, though, the DS seems to have a better design, better price, and better software.

Sorry, but I don't see it that way. This is like looking at the first-generation 3D games and saying, "This is all they can do with polygons. Let's go back to 2D. Street Fighter is a better game than Toshinden and Virtua Fighter."

These are launch titles, most of which don't even have final names, working on the first system ever to allow two displays at once. The only use of the second screen as a map screen I've seen comes from the Super Mario 64 port, and I really doubt that's going to be its only use.

All I'm saying is, instead of criticizing right out of the gate, wait until you see a representative sample.

fair enough, but I too think it's a gimmick.. it's a stop gap until nintendo launches their next gen GB device... and nintendo loves gimmicks.. just look at the GB... how many minor variations and improvements have their been?

Really? I could have sworn that Gumpei had left Nintendo prior to that, shortly after the Virtual Boy fiasco, and I'm fairly certain he was working for Bandai (I believe he deisgned, or at least did work for the Wonderswan) when he was killed in that car accident.

As far as I know, Yokoi's last job was designing the N64's controller. Maybe he did go to Bandai, but if he did, then I haven't heard about it.

fair enough, but I too think it's a gimmick.. it's a stop gap until nintendo launches their next gen GB device... and nintendo loves gimmicks.. just look at the GB... how many minor variations and improvements have their been?

A better way to phrase this is, "Nintendo's customers love minor variations and improvements." After all, if they didn't sell, Nintendo wouldn't keep making them.

DS might be a response to the PSP, but I doubt it's a stopgap. The second screen does hold plenty of possibilities, though I do agree that not every game will benefit. Plenty will, though. For example, if Konami develops a Metal Gear game for the DS, the primary screen could be used to control Snake, while the secondary screen could be used for everything from controlling guided rockets (while still being able to view the environment around Snake in the primary screen) to displaying a security camera's point of view when Snake gets appropriately close enough, thus helping the player to avoid detection.

Football games can use the second screen to show the gamer how his selected play is unfolding. You select the play, and after the hike, you can look at the second screen to see white lines snaking out in real time, marking the exact overhead position of all your receivers, blockers, etc.

A nice implementation for racers could be to use the second screen as a rear view mirror, to see just how far back the other guys really are. And if we're dealing with a Mario Kart game, you can put the mini-map of the track on the second screen as well, freeing up space in the first.

If we get a Gundam game on the DS, the second screen could be used as a gimmicked-up enemy tracker. Lay down green coordinate grids on a black background, and have a tracking pulse emit every three or so seconds, with returning blips marking the general location of a target. And of course, in keeping with Minovsky physics, the tracker's range would be extremely low, making sure that the player can't just cheese his way through levels by knowing exactly where that pesky Dom is.

If I can come up with ideas like these, I can't wait to see what professional companies can do.

Edited by Terpfen