1/48 VF-1J Max Millia or Hikaru

marx

I was considering buying a 1J but I've heard unspecific negative things about the 1/48 1J line and now I have to ask before I buy. What is wrong with the 1J line versus the other 1/48 lines? I got my 1S Hikaru and to my supprise the air brake on top of the valk fell off and I never heard of anyone complain about the airbreak. Now I have concerns, even though the air break was quite a shocker. I still like the 1/48 line enough to buy another 1/48 though there is the looming possiblity of having a valk with a loose air brake. I would like to have some idea of what to expect if I buy 1J. So I don't post a thread complaining about some common issue with the 1J. Also, so I don't post another thread asking about the packs, any information I should know about fast pack kits for the 1/48 would be nice as well.

Thanks

Well you can get the Hikaru VF-1J without the fast packs. With Max, you get the Fast Packs whether you like it or not. However, I go with Max bacause I like Max's scheme. Sure there are some issues with the 1/48s but they aint that bad. I have 6 max and 4 hikaru 1J series. But it is up to you.

I just recently bought my first 1/48 also (Hikaru's vf-1a) and I haven't had any problem with the airbrake. I WILL warn you about the hip (where the exaust is for the fighter). It's EXTREMELY fragile. I broke it the first day i got it. Mine kinda suffers from some limp wrist malady. Other than that, it's a beautiful toy. I have it on display right next to my mpc rick hunter and it really makes the mpc look bad. I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a fast pack yet....but, I've heard that the hinge on the backpack is very fragile as well and I've been warned to get a few replacements in the event I break em.

I have 3 1/48's myself. 2 HIKARU 1S 'n a 1J. My 1J is just absolutely perfect (and beautiful! I think a lot of people here can attest to that!). One of the 1S suffers from a slightly loose airbrake like yours, MARX, but other than that I haven't seen anything wrong with them. Actually, it doesn't really bother me as much and I'm thinking of getting another 1/48. I'd say go with yer original plan and invest some money on that another YAMATO! :D

I've got one of each and some of them I have multiples of. I have had no problems at all with any of mine. I alwasy took care with the back pack hinge. I got some stands from haterist and they never looked better.

JT :D

sorry it just had to be said... <_<

some people on the forum are a bit too whinny... i heard this about that product ...or i have this problem with this toy..what should i buy?

god give me a break... i know what some of you are gonna say in response to this ...well the guy just wants to be informed before he buys a $ 100+ toy....bla...bla...bla <_<

well i say this , if you aren't prepared to take a gamble every now and then than what is the piont of being alive? :blink:

anyway buying a yamato isn't much of a gamble they are superior toys i think we can agree and there re-sale value can attest to that! :D

I was considering buying a 1J but I've heard unspecific negative things about the 1/48 1J line and now I have to ask before I buy. What is wrong with the 1J line versus the other 1/48 lines? I got my 1S Hikaru and to my supprise the air brake on top of the valk fell off and I never heard of anyone complain about the airbreak. Now I have concerns, even though the air break was quite a shocker. I still like the 1/48 line enough to buy another 1/48 though there is the looming possiblity of having a valk with a loose air brake. I would like to have some idea of what to expect if I buy 1J. So I don't post a thread complaining about some common issue with the 1J. Also, so I don't post another thread asking about the packs, any information I should know about fast pack kits for the 1/48 would be nice as well.

Thanks

i have both and their fine.

I was considering buying a 1J but I've heard unspecific negative things about the 1/48 1J line and now I have to ask before I buy. What is wrong with the 1J line versus  the other 1/48 lines? I got my 1S Hikaru and to my supprise the air brake on top of the valk fell off and I never heard of anyone complain about the airbreak. Now I have concerns, even though the air break was quite a shocker. I still like the 1/48 line enough to buy another 1/48 though there is the looming possiblity of having a valk with a loose air brake. I would like to have some idea of what to expect if I buy 1J. So I don't post a thread complaining about some common issue with the 1J. Also, so I don't post another thread asking about the packs, any information I should know about fast pack kits for the 1/48 would be nice as well. 

Thanks

i have both and their fine.

off topic. Hi Ali Sama, where did you get that avatar ? :blink:

some people on the forum are a bit too whinny...

Really? I honestly did not notice.

god give me a break... i know what some of you are gonna say in response to this ...well the guy just wants to be informed before he buys a $ 100+ toy....bla...bla...bla

Well, I guess you managed to prove your first point, gee I feel stupid now.

Edited by marx

i'd go with the 1J hikaru simply cause its on sale for $140- over at toy-wave.com. i mean why pay $180+ for the max or millia when you can pay $165 shipped for the hikaru? get the one thats cheaper now, and wait til the M&M go on sale at some point. :)

as far as the QC issues...like with any other toy out there is sort of a crap shoot. sometimes you get a really nice one, sometimes you get one that isn't as nice as it could be. the 1/48's are pretty good overall but the 1J hikaru was made before the M&M's as the molds get worse with each production run. ;)

these are just my opinions, so feel free to disagree but please don't argue with me. :)

*added*

the TV FP's are fine. one common problem is, the TV arm armors won't hold the gunpod straight out of the box. its no big deal as it takes about 10 seconds to fix the problem but its something to be aware of. yeah it sucks having to "fix"(if you want to call it that) an $160+ toy but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by haterist

Marx:

I arrived late to the 1/48 party, and only have two VF-1Js so far -- the standard Hikaru and the super Millia. Both are extraordinarily nice toys, really the definitive Valk design. The super armor really adds a lot to the appearance of the toy, much more than I would've guessed given my experience with the old Takatoku/Bandai 1/55s. The color-coordinated fast packs on Millia are a nice touch; I'd think either that one or the TV version super Max would be well worth your money. I picked up both of my 1Js at Big Bad Toy Store during their periodic 10% off sales, which you might want to wait for if you're not in a hurry.

Best,

--MyClone

i'd go with the 1J hikaru simply cause its on sale for $140- over at toy-wave.com. i mean why pay $180+ for the max or millia when you can pay $165 shipped for the hikaru? get the one thats cheaper now, and wait til the M&M go on sale at some point. :)

as far as the QC issues...like with any other toy out there is sort of a crap shoot. sometimes you get a really nice one, sometimes you get one that isn't as nice as it could be. the 1/48's are pretty good overall but the 1J hikaru was made before the M&M's as the molds get worse with each production run. ;)

these are just my opinions, so feel free to disagree but please don't argue with me. :)

*added*

the TV FP's are fine. one common problem is, the TV arm armors won't hold the gunpod straight out of the box. its no big deal as it takes about 10 seconds to fix the problem but its something to be aware of. yeah it sucks having to "fix"(if you want to call it that) an $160+ toy but it really isn't that big of a deal.

i have all 3 of them,. max milliya and hikaru. they rock, it is the luck of the draw. I paid $178 for hikaru shipped but got the macross 0 dvd ep 3 with it for free. which was cool.

right now I have 5 1/48s

1 tv super vf1s roy(he is wearing hikaru;'s tv armor and arms)

1 strike low viz 1a(got the fast packs from kevin)

1 vf 1j hikaru

1 suepr vf1j max

1 vf 1j super mirria

I got max and mirria from kevin both for $320 whahahahahhahahh

i got the gunpod to fit. it is alittle tight though like you mentioned. it looks awsome though,

First off, any toy made by Yamato has a chance of having something slightly wrong with it - like your airbrake. Considering that it's a smaller toy company than the ones we're used to here - plus the fact that the toy has been bought, resold, and shipped across the world before you get it. These things can happen.

All the more reason to buy from one of the many great resellers on the board - they'll do whatever they can to help if something's wrong with your toy.

Now as for the 1J's in comparison the 1S - the two major issues are the FAST packs, which do require a slight bit of work to the arm armors to hold the gunpod - and the paint, which isn't quite as crisp as the earlier 1/48's.

Personally, I think the paint on all of my 1J's are fine, I've never had anything break on ANY of my 1/48's. I take care to treat them well, and I take them out of the box as soon as I can.

But I could blabber on all day about it... a picture says it so much better.

These are great toys, folks. Get them while you can or miss out on awesomeness.

Right now i only own 1 1/48, and thats the Hikaru 1J. and i whole heartedly recomend it, and i have exprenced no qc issues what so ever. it is truely a great toy. just treat it nicely,and it'll treat you nicely, the thing however i beleve, is as durable as a chunky monkey. just be kind to the backpack and you will have no problems.

if you are a macross fan you owe it to yourself to plop down the $130+ dollars for a 1/48 and get atleast one, it truely is the worldly representation of his hory froatingness's vision.

my friend(mechamaniac) has both the M&M 1j's & his are both flawless.i like these 2 better than hikaru's 1j purely for the fact that the custom clear armour set yamato made looks sick on the m&m's 1j's.if you have a set,get a m&m.the bright,solid colours set that clear armour off like no other white valk can ;)

Thanks

I never had any problem with the airbrake but had a problem with rubber in the leg joint slipping out I corrected the provlem by removing the leg and putting it back in plce

Thanks a bunch all. I'm going to get a vf-1j for sure in the very near future. (probably in a few months) As my two favorite valks are the vf-1j and vf-1s. Unfortunatelly it'll have to take a backseat for a short period of time since avid dropped a bombshell on the cg community with the xsi price drop. Anyways thanks a lot for the helpful insight, a vf-1j will soon be within reach shortly. But some thinks take precedence over other things as I'm sure all will understand.