Ugly 1/60 VF-1S Head Mod

AlphaHX

I dunno if its just me, but I think the 1/60 VF-1S Roy head is fugly. I mean, come on, why is it so squashed? Did I get the Roy from DYRL where he got his head bashed in??? :p:blink:

Anyways, I'm modding it a bit to make his face longer. I dont have much time now but I'll post pictures later attached to the body.

Haha, I just had to do this for kicks... :lol:

post-4-1111447280_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

Nice looking work so far, but I agree that narrowing the lower bit (chin?) would help alot to make it look longer. I always think of the 1S head as pretty narrow there... and that is part of what makes it look so distinct I think. Another problem might be the wicth of the head lasers.... they look kinda fat to me.

When the 1/60 Roy first came out, a lot of us groaned about the awkward head. Natually, a few Yamato apologists thought it was the best ever, but the general consensus was that Billy Wong really messed up the head. Ed. Coli hit the nail on the head when he said that the head was shrunken to accomodate fighter mode. I'm just glad Yamato didn't go this route with the 1/48.

Thanx guys! I was actually planning to narrow the face but I just didnt get around to sanding it cuz it was still drying.

Looks good, more like the 48's head. A little contructive crit though, the pic on the far right has a little narrowing at the bottom of the "face." That may make it look even better. Good job.

Thanx for the constructive criticism! :D

I sanded it a bit but its still not completely dry yet so I'm gonna have to work on it later.

I also decided to make his neck longer like the 1/48's head.

Nice looking work so far, but I agree that narrowing the lower bit (chin?) would help alot to make it look longer. I always think of the 1S head as pretty narrow there... and that is part of what makes it look so distinct I think. Another problem might be the wicth of the head lasers.... they look kinda fat to me.

I might try sanding down the lasers a bit later. They looked fat to me too. <_<

When the 1/60 Roy first came out, a lot of us groaned about the awkward head. Natually, a few Yamato apologists thought it was the best ever, but the general consensus was that Billy Wong really messed up the head. Ed. Coli hit the nail on the head when he said that the head was shrunken to accomodate fighter mode. I'm just glad Yamato didn't go this route with the 1/48.

Whew, for a second there I thought I was weird or something cuz I dont remember it being mentioned ever since Ive joined MW. I thought it would come up at least once during the duration that Ive been here.

Did you have to do any painting? I always wanted to do that, but the thought of trying to match colors keeps me from trying.

Yeah, my putty is nowhere near the color of the head. I'm planning to recolor the entire head after I'm done.

Heres a pic of it semi sanded. You can also see that I've extended the neck a bit to look like the 1/48s head. But I dunno how it will turn out in fighter mode so I'm gonna have to see if I can keep the longer neck later... :(

post-4-1111465536.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

The problem with the 1/60 VF-1S head lasers is not so much the thickness, but rather that they do not go straight all the way down to the ear disc.

The white part of the laser that connects to the ear disc is at a different angle to the black part of the laser, which makes them look strange. Actually, it makes me think of devil horns rather than lasers.

Graham

The problem with the 1/60 VF-1S head lasers is not so much the thickness, but rather that they do not go straight all the way down to the ear disc.

The white part of the laser that connects to the ear disc is at a different angle to the black part of the laser, which makes them look strange. Actually, it makes me think of devil horns rather than lasers.

Graham

Yeah, I gotta agree with Graham. I dunno if theres much I can do about it but I still might try sanding the antennas a bit down to see how that looks.

that is a pretty nice job there! and I'm also curious as to what it would look like in fighter mode... post more picks in the various modes please.

Its actually not dry yet so I cant attach it back on and pose it in different modes. I managed to just balance his head in battroid mode. I took pictures of those. I'll take pictures of it in the other modes later after the putty dries and I can screw it back onto the toy.

Heres the battroid mode pictures...

post-4-1111468860_thumb.jpg

hmmm... looks like too much material on the inside of the "jaw" line... but I guess you're pretty limited on that side because of the neck.. maybe if you carved into it a little and added some detail like on the 1/48 head?

Wanna know the sad thing? I followed the given jaw line from the original sculpt. Hahaha... but yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe I should draw lines into it like the 1/48... hmm... :unsure:

I've got only one thing to say about the progress so far. I like it sooooo much better than the original head already. Damn that stubby squash head. :p<_<

Edited by AlphaHX

Can't wait to see it once it's dry and smoothed out, it's looking excellent so far. Other than that, I can only echo the comments of others. I've always disliked the 1/60 VF-1S head, and hope that this improved version looks decent in fighter mode.

i was afraid that the mod would make it difficult for me to transform it into battroid mode since the head might be a tight squeeze thru the hole but it turned out fine and i had no problems at all. you can see at the bottom of the neck where i added an extension. thats teh only thing that makes the head pertrude out a bit more in fighter mode.

post-4-1111483892_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

recast. then sell. we buy.

:)

Flattering. :)

I dunt know how to recast tho. If someone is up to doing a recast, I wouldnt mind sharing the head. Let me know.

I obviously still have some work to do on it still tho. I gotta finish sanding it and then paint it.

Just a comparison shot...

I dont miss the stubby head at all. :p

post-4-1111485081_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

Even though your not done yet, you've done a sweet job, AlphaHX! :D

Hey, did you use the "squashed" head to build up your new one? :huh:

The reason I ask is maybe you could still use the old one by mod'ing it to look like the crushed head in the show. It's an idea that just popped in my head. :lol:

Edited by Wheels