Australian SDF:Macross DVD box art

Cyclone

I don't have the 9 box set but I think the art on the three miniboxes is okay.

Even though the DVD cases aren't much to write home about, I don't find them hideous. They could be much worse. (But then again, one of my other big hobbies is board wargaming, and there have been some truly atrocious boxes even from major companies there.) Ultimately, it's what's inside that counts.

I don't have the 9 box set but I think the art on the three miniboxes is okay.

It's the same art from what I've seen(haven't had a chance to look at all 3 boxes, but I assume they're the same).

UN Spacey logo on one side(my favorite side), Macross and specs on another, disk case art on the 3rd(least favorite side).

Even though the DVD cases aren't much to write home about, I don't find them hideous. They could be much worse. (But then again, one of my other big hobbies is board wargaming, and there have been some truly atrocious boxes even from major companies there.)

The neon is what really killed it for me. If it'd all been rendered in black and white, it would've looked better, IMNSHO.

Ultimately, it's what's inside that counts.

Agreed.

As i live in eurpoe and have a pal tv i think ill be getting it, know any good isites by nay chance

Hybridchild

Of those online retailers that are willing to ship outside Australia...

Ezydvd.com.au Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/226180

DeVoteD Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_...oducts_id=10167

Family Box Office Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.fbo.com.au/movie.asp?ID=11341

DeVoteD offers the cheaper pre-order price, but EzyDVD is much more professional and prompt but not as cheap, where FBO falls between them.

Cyc

Am I the only person that LIKES the AnimeIgo box?

I do admit that the individual disk cases needed some reworking, though.

I like it. Simple, subtle, and elegant. I usually have the UN Spacy logo showing. Or the hologram showing (i.e. shrinkwrap cut only on DVD spin side, so I slip the hologram on the backside where the Animeigo and HG logos are located). Am I the only one who thought about doing that? FYI, looks really nice. :)

That Aussie box doesn't fit my taste, too bright and what's with Roy's valk coming out of Hikaru's eye! :p

As i live in eurpoe and have a pal tv i think ill be getting it, know any good isites by nay chance

Hybridchild

Of those online retailers that are willing to ship outside Australia...

Ezydvd.com.au Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/226180

DeVoteD Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/product_...oducts_id=10167

Family Box Office Macross Ultimate Collection entry:

http://www.fbo.com.au/movie.asp?ID=11341

DeVoteD offers the cheaper pre-order price, but EzyDVD is much more professional and prompt but not as cheap, where FBO falls between them.

Cyc

Thanks mate

Hybridchild

I like it. Simple, subtle, and elegant. ...

I concur.

It also boring,dull and uninteresting to the average consumer. Looks terribly bland when (barely)seen on shelves with other anime DVDs. The line art covers on the individual are junk too. The text on the back is all blurry like it was done with a 100 dpi inkjet printer.

The Robotech Macross Saga DVDs had nicer covers. The New Gen covers were nice too. Better than what ADV used for the Mospeada box set. What, no respect to the originals?

I like it. Simple, subtle, and elegant. I usually have the UN Spacy logo showing. Or the hologram showing (i.e. shrinkwrap cut only on DVD spin side, so I slip the hologram on the backside where the Animeigo and HG logos are located). Am I the only one who thought about doing that? FYI, looks really nice. :)

Wish I'd thought of that....

Cyclone: You know what it REALLY means is that MOSPEADA will have neon line art, right? :p

Edited by JB0

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump for a question.

I don't own the R1 set, so I can't compare versions on my own. I'll need screen caps and as much info as people can provide on the R1 set please.

And just to ensure this isn't a complete waste, here's the sum total of printed advertising Madman have produced for it. Please note that this was printed back in December 2003, so no they haven't switched back to the Animeigo box, but I doubt many will notice that with all the "Appeals to RT fans" hype and Tommy Yune MPC pilot imageary...

Cyc

post-2-1078303283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cyclone

I don't own the R1 set, so I can't compare versions on my own. I'll need screen caps and as much info as people can provide on the R1 set please.

Screen caps from the R1?

Do you want certain scenes in particular or just random shots?

And just to ensure this isn't a complete waste, here's the sum total of printed advertising Madman have produced for it. Please note that this was printed back in December 2003, so no they haven't switched back to the Animeigo box, but I doubt many will notice that with all the "Appeals to RT fans" hype and Tommy Yune MPC pilot imageary...

Cyc

That image is tragic... Yune art promoting a Macross product.... :(

Both, perferably with time codes, making it easier to locate when to cap.

I've taken about 20 screen caps, will upload them in a couple of hours when I can.

I've got the timecodes for them, but they'll probably only be a rough guide since the R4 times won't match up exactly due to the NTSC>PAL conversion.

I'm in Australia and got the R1 set last week (ordered before I knew about the AU release).

The set is nice but I have a few criticisms:

*The opening doesn't play in full at the beginning of each ep, only the first ep on each disc. For me it takes away from the 'completeness'.

*The Japanese credits have been totally replaced with English ones. I'd prefer switchable superimposed english subs.

*As discussed earlier in these forums episodes one and two are separate and not the 'macross special' 50 minute version that first aired on Japanese TV with unique eyecatch, opening animation (ie finishes with the SDF Macross, not a valkyrie) and ending animation (Hikaru's fanglider).

Does anyone know if the first edition of the series on Japanese VHS/LD presented episodes one and two in the Macross Special format or in separate episodes with the 'coming soon' segment added to the end of episode one?

Because of these reasons I'm keeping my Streamline Robotech Perfect Collection tapes with the Macross Special even though the subs on those are way too large...

Edited by Skull00

Unless you have the bootleg set, or went into that difficult to find place in the menu that let's you use the play-all feature, all intro's should play before every episode. The end credits also shouldn't be in english (though the opening credits are, but you can turn off the subtitles to get a creditless intro if you prefer).

Does anyone know if the first edition of the series on Japanese VHS/LD presented episodes one and two in the Macross Special format or in separate episodes with the 'coming soon' segment added to the end of episode one?

Because of these reasons I'm keeping my Streamline Robotech Perfect Collection tapes with the Macross Special even though the subs on those are way too large...

I know the bootleg Macross DVDs had the "Macross Special" version of episodes 1 & 2. Not sure if they were ripped from the LDs or the R2 DVDs though.

<Remember that HG claim that they have Worldwide (excluding Japan) rights to SDF: Macross, just they refused to give Animegio more than Region 1 rights.>

Uh, except that that's not what happened. AnimEigo only bought the rights to region 1 because it was cheaper, not because Harmony Gold wouldn't let them have more.

Unless you have the bootleg set, or went into that difficult to find place in the menu that let's you use the play-all feature, all intro's should play before every episode. The end credits also shouldn't be in english (though the opening credits are, but you can turn off the subtitles to get a creditless intro if you prefer).

I got the official R1s unless rightstuff.com is selling boots these days. yeah, after watching a little more the opening plays at the start of each ep, my mistake. I must have accidently gotten into the play-all feature.

I know the end credits aren't in English but I wanted the opening to be the same, as broadcast with Japanese language credits, not the creditless opening (with English subs switched off) that I can see on the 20th anniversary disc anyway.

How anal does that make me sound? Anyway, I still want it that way!

<Remember that HG claim that they have Worldwide (excluding Japan) rights to SDF: Macross, just they refused to give Animegio more than Region 1 rights.>

Uh, except that that's not what happened. AnimEigo only bought the rights to region 1 because it was cheaper, not because Harmony Gold wouldn't let them have more.

Nope, HG would only license U.S. rights to AnimEigo.

If this release is the uncut version with original Japanese audio with English subs much like the one by Animeigo, I'll get this one! Hope this becomes available in Singapore soon!

Yes they are the uncut original version of Macross.

*sigh*

I like the packaging and insides that Madman used. It puts the Animeigo version to shame. Are those thinpaks or amaray cases?

The Australian set looks pretty nice (artwork wise), but are all 36 episodes crammed onto two DVD's? Is that possible and how bad would the quality of the video be?

As for the US boxset, I think Gus Roque was limited on what he could and couldn't use... all the good artwork was used for the Robotech DVD's. <_<

But still, Animeigo's Macross boxset is one of the top prizes in my DVD collection. B))