Guest davidwhangchoi

you guys are so helpful i had to mention you all on the member feedback page.

i just watched the miss macross episode, i noticed the gbp armor getting blown off piece by piece, then hikaru shells off the remains. since the vf-0s zero(prequel) had reactive armor tech, does the gbp armor considered to have this tech as well? as well as the fast packs arm shielding on the original tv series? (watching hikaru vf-1s arms protecting him from a barrage of missiles before losing conscienceness and entering the earth to save misa @ alaska base

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

No and No.

obviously, it wasn't shown in the tv series made in 1982-4, but was introduced in plus and then zero but timeline wise zero is the prototype to the vf-1, and i thought to ask in the macross mythology if they went away from reactive armor till macross plus or did they do some retcon and added it as part of the tech during the vf-1 period

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Have a slightly tangential question on this as well. How likely is it for BV to rerelease the 2008 MZ boxset in light of the recent push to get everything out on BD? Is the thing out of print at the moment?

Is the macross zero blu-ray worth picking up? I couldn't find a thread with much information. What do you guys think of the video/audio quality?

I assume no subtitle either, but doesn't hurt to ask....

Well I think the BDs look just fine. No complaints about the boxset.

Subtitles? Really? :rolleyes:

Japanese BD boxes dont generally get reprints. besides which, a M0 reprint is unlikely seeing as that its still readily available.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9-%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AD-Blu-ray-Disc-BOX/dp/B0017T3PX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370511106&sr=8-1&keywords=%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9+%E3%82%BC%E3%83%AD+blu-ray+disc+box

Newer boxsets (ie, M7 box 1 & 2) have a limited print run fyi so if you want them get them asap.

Thanks Tochiro.

I still have to figure out a way to overlay subs on blu-ray. Not savy by any means. I can sit through a 2 hr movie without subs, but not 50+ episodes on M7!

Either that, or learn Japanese already.....1 sem in college years ago wasn't nearly close to enough. At least I can read most kanji thanks to my background. :)

I'm surprised that MF tv series never had a box set, or did it? I'd pay for a nice box to get all nine disc in one place.

Here's a weird question: Did any of the Battle 7 operators other than Sally, Miho, and Kim have any names? I see character guides and when it comes to that group only those three are present, sometimes not even Kim. I think others might have been mentioned, but I do not remember.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Yes, the other Mac7 bridge bunnies do have names.

931200_578614742183864_1547953679_n.jpg

You know Sally and Miho and the others, going down from top left are: Lora Continental, Kototome Muishikin, Natasia Kiniskey, Reiko Steffany, Shinobu Hashizume, Ho Sidok and Kim St. Laurent (she has glasses).

There are a couple of other bridge bunnies you see on other fleet ships such as the Brockenglitts twins, Fine and Shine and also Scarlet O'Hara and Fee A. McGary.

If I lived on the Mac7 fleet, I'd love to get closer acquainted with Reiko. :D

I'm surprised that MF tv series never had a box set, or did it? I'd pay for a nice box to get all nine disc in one place.

First pressings of volumes 5 and 9 came with nice chunky boxes to store the series in. One had awesome Tenjin art. The other...didnt.

I do mean the TV show - in DYRL the Earth appears to be completely bombed out. (And that makes sense because in DYRL the Zentradi had a lot of time to complete the bombing).

So - any idea how many people survived on Earth in the TV series? there are cities after the bombing...

Edited by Saruta

I remember reading it was about 1 million. But I don't remember the source. I probably read it in the Macross Compendium, which is compiled mostly of official sources, but they were not referenced.

Here's the entry from the Compendium:

Conclusion of Space [stellar] War I.
Earth atmospheric purification operation begins. A total of several
hundred thousand [to approximately one million] survivors confirmed in
the Grand Cannons III and V, the Lunar surface's Apollo Base, and the
space colony clusters [bunches].

I do mean the TV show - in DYRL the Earth appears to be completely bombed out. (And that makes sense because in DYRL the Zentradi had a lot of time to complete the bombing).

So - any idea how many people survived on Earth in the TV series? there are cities after the bombing...

Except that the TV series isnt 'canon' either. And whatever the figure, it was later changed due to Kawamori introducing the concept of cloning in order to speed up interstellar immigration from a story standpoint.

They key thing to remember about the survivors is that they are spread out around the Earth, and in near orbit. The majority of the survivors probably came from only 3 sources: the SDF-1, the Apollo Moon Base, and the Space Colony Clusters.

They key thing to remember about the survivors is that they are spread out around the Earth, and in near orbit. The majority of the survivors probably came from only 3 sources: the SDF-1, the Apollo Moon Base, and the Space Colony Clusters.

And again, the Grand Cannons... which I assume the writers just threw in to make Misa's survival (slightly) less of a miracle.

I see. Could have sworn their shoes were black instead of dark brown (unless the vids I watch Macross 7 with had bad color quality.... It was on Youtube after all).

Given that Central Anime's fansubs were originally distributed on video tape... and then converted to RealMedia files... and uploaded to old Youtube... we should all be impressed that the Fire Valkyrie is still red...

Yeah pretty much, at least Shinji thinks he has self-esteem, I accept that I have none these days.

Come to think of it, what is the average price for a Macross remaster set anyway?

I found the Macross 7 sets at Liberty in Akiba, for about ¥20,000 off the retail price. Not sure if they're still like that...

And again, the Grand Cannons... which I assume the writers just threw in to make Misa's survival (slightly) less of a miracle.

I'm not disagreeing that there were survivors in them. But given that they were either already destroyed (GC II), directly attacked and all but destroyed (GC I), or under construction (GC III, IV, V), the majority of survivors didn't come from them (I'll give that collectively, the survivors in them were substantial, but the number that survived in the space colony bunches* is most likely one or two orders of magnitude greater).

* These guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Neill_cylinder

Edited by sketchley

What I wonder is why there would be no survivors elsewhere in a world that recently was on the brink of nuclear war and, therefore, must have some bunkers available.

What I wonder is why there would be no survivors elsewhere in a world that recently was on the brink of nuclear war and, therefore, must have some bunkers available.

There were survivors spread out all over the world, just not that many ;) .

One has to keep in mind that the ENTIRE surface of the Earth was turned into something akin to the surface of the moon. If the bunker was something like the one under Cheyenne Mountain, then the chance of surviving the initial bombardment is high (never-mind finding a way out or contacting someone to dig the way out for you). However, if the bunker is only a couple of storeys underground, then the contents would most likely have been either directly or indirectly destroyed (impact shock-wave, radiation, or simply roasted alive from the heat. Pick your poison).

Edited by sketchley