Life in Tokyo

Funkenstein

I've been considering applying to Tokyo University for an MS degree, but I am hesitant to leave my country. I was wondering if anyone had experience they would like to share, especially experience as students in Japanese universities.

Also, I am very interested in what healthcare is available.

I dont know if this was the right place to ask, but it seems there are quite a few residents of Japan here, so I thought I might as well ask.

Aside from the difficulties of the language and culture, Japanese universities are akin to high school in Canada (I want to say North America, but I don't know the USA or Mexican public school system well enough to say that). In the following regards:

- you have to show up to every class (there's roll call). If you miss more than 3 classes without an excuse (part-time job is a valid one), you're dropped from the course.

- the overall mood of the students is pretty much the opposite. After spending years studying for and passing exam hell, everyone is more relaxed; as entering a good university pretty much guarantees a good job. (Of course this was a decade ago, and pending which university you go to, such things aren't guaranteed any more. With the few university students that I teach at my language school, the majority are more serious about there studies).

Health care:

Public and private require that you pay 30% of the medical fees yourself. Depending on how long you stay, you may find it much, much cheaper to get foreign travel medical insurance. The one that I had during the year of university was something equal to or less than 1 CAD per day. Which is cheaper than the public insurance. However, it only lasted a year.

If you stay longer than a year, consecutively, then you'll have to enroll in public insurance. The sucky thing about that is it is run from the local city/town/ward office, and they back-charge you to the time that you registered for residency in that city/town/ward. Of course you can get around this by moving to a new city/town/ward, but that's annoying if you're not already planning to do so.

Anyhow, some general advice: prepare as much as you can before you go. This includes:

- saving as much money as you can

- learn as much Japanese as you can. Probably focusing more on a good foundation in the language than anything else (this includes reading and writing hiragana and katakana, and how to correctly compose the strokes of kanji!).

- bring pictures of friends and family from home, and how to contact them. Along with 1 favourite book/manga/whatever and music (not a problem with Ipods et al). This is mostly to minimize the effects of culture shock than anything else.

Oh, and keep in mind that the first 3 months are going to be the roughest. In short, your dictionary is going to be your best friend. After that, you'll know enough of the language to start making real friends (but beware the English vampires. Real friends are made with the people who have no interest in English. So join a club of some kind that doesn't use English at all. Like Aikido.)

Sketchley, Funkenstein is talking about joining a Master Degree course, that is a totally different kettle of fish. I was in the Kyoto University graduate school for a total of five years doing a Master and Doctor course plus one year in Osaka University and I can tell you, few of those things you mentioned regarding campus life are applicable, even less so considering we are talking about the top academic institutions in Japan. As for Tokyo University, I'm not sure the exact situation but I know several lecturers there and I believe the rules and requisites vary depending on faculty like they do most other places, but the key issue is "do they offer what you want?" And I mean that in terms of course content as well as how good they take of their foreign students. Both Osaka and Kyoto Unis had good facilities and activities for foreign students, in particular Osaka has a well-developed student lounge and organizes language programs and other such special services. Also, remember that there are other universities aside from Tokyo Uni with outstanding reputations like Waseda, Keio and Meiji (which I have to shamelessly plug because that's where I lecture! :p )

Lastly, I would look into finding a scholarship before you leave. There is the Monbukagakushou (MEXT) Scholarship for foreign students where the Japanese government gives you a monthly stipend, covers all tuition and examination fees and reduces your public health insurance payments. That is the first one you should look into. The application procedure is long-winded, time-consuming and a general pain, but the effort pays out (literally) in the end. Look it up as soon as possible.

Good luck! ;)

I've been considering applying to Tokyo University for an MS degree, but I am hesitant to leave my country. I was wondering if anyone had experience they would like to share, especially experience as students in Japanese universities.

Also, I am very interested in what healthcare is available.

I dont know if this was the right place to ask, but it seems there are quite a few residents of Japan here, so I thought I might as well ask.

Just curious why you want to get your Master's at Tokyo University? Are you studying in a field that they're a leader in, or do you just want to try living in a different culture?

Just curious why you want to get your Master's at Tokyo University? Are you studying in a field that they're a leader in, or do you just want to try living in a different culture?

Im looking for an MS in mechatronics, and the only places available to me in the USA have high tuition, and the chance of getting a scholarship is not that good. I also feel discomfort studying in the USA since a lot of people around me are anti-intellectual.

Im also considering Germany, since I have relatives there, and I could possibly continue working for my employer there.

I suppose the basic idea is to get as far away from the USA for my masters degree, so that I can probably come out of it without a lifetime's worth of debt.

Im looking for an MS in mechatronics, and the only places available to me in the USA have high tuition, and the chance of getting a scholarship is not that good. I also feel discomfort studying in the USA since a lot of people around me are anti-intellectual.

Im also considering Germany, since I have relatives there, and I could possibly continue working for my employer there.

I suppose the basic idea is to get as far away from the USA for my masters degree, so that I can probably come out of it without a lifetime's worth of debt.

Anti Intellectual??? Wow

Anyway, I have never heard of Mechatronics. I know I can google it but I rather ask at source so?

Okay, as far as I know (though I'm no expert) Osaka University is probably the place to go for robotics. They have some incredible stuff over there. Since I'm a letters guy, obviously I'm in no position to give specifics, but I had a friend back then from Portugal who did his post-grad in Robotics there, and he told me all about the lifelike newscasters and whatnot that they're developing.

By the way, the Robocon guy, I forgot both his name and the name of his company, the guy who is often featured in the "How long until we get a real, working Valyrie?" section of Macross Ace magazine, is based in Osaka, too, and I know he has a close relationship with the academic institutions in the Kansai region. In fact, he gave a talk in Kyoto last week or so, which I really wanted to go to but I was there for another conference the previous week and I couln't extend my stay any longer. Check him out, when I get his name I will post it here.

Edited by Renato

I hope this information is of help

I went to Japan several times and got to complete my masters over there. I also applied last year for PhD studies through the Monbukagakusho (MEXT) scholarship and got accepted. Sadly I had to return for personal reasons, but I hope I can give some useful information.

First of all, as noted in other replies, especially Renato's great replies, MEXT is a great option to study in Japan. Going on your own expense and without out any sort of private or governmental scholastic funding is hard in my opinion especially in Japan and especially in this economic environment (The yen is very strong against the dollar). If you need any help with MEXT application forms and procedure, I can help, so please feel free to PM me any time. The Japanese Embassy will start posting the new application forms for the next scholastic year at the end of march or the beginning of April of the next year.

This is a good starting point to your research on studying in Japan : http://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/en/

My other advice is the careful choice of your university of choice and your prospective academic supervisor, and making sure that you are going to an institution that will have the field of study you specifically want. Sadly this is sometimes hard as some universities don't maintain their English language pages with useful information (Of course Major ones like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and many private ones like Waseda, Keio and Sophia universities do). Most post grads start with a very general idea of what they want to study, but you will find out that you need to tackle a very specific research topic as you progress. It is good to know as much as possible what work you would like to be doing, in which institution and under which supervisor by reviewing some existing literature on your field of interest. Hopefully it will be in English if possible. Also good advice is to get into contact with Alumni from Japanese universities where you live, as they will give you GREAT advice. This is just general advice.

Other advice already mentioned in the replies is searching for a university with good international student support program. If your Japanese language is not enough to communicate, an efficient international student office will be a very welcome lifeline especially in the first few months. When contacting universities, note the time to reply for your sent inquiries and the amount of information the contact person is able to give you. It sure helps to know that you can have someone you can consult with if you face any situation over there.

The language barrier exists. This is a given fact. This is why it is important to make sure that if your Japanese language is not up to academic standards, that your supervisor has good English communication skills and will agree that you can submit your work and related papers or presentations in English. Also make sure you can write your thesis in English as well ^_^ (This is a deal breaker for some). If this is cleared, you will find that you only have to learn Japanese for simple day to day communication in daily life and school situations. (Although as a Japanese language teacher myself, I really advise you to get a good grip on Japanese as much as you can).

If you go with the MEXT option, you will be required to first enroll as a research student for six months and in most cases sit for an entrance exam to the faculty of choice. The nice thing about MEXT is that you can apply at that point to several universities even though your initial application is to a certain university (I personally advise against this and advise that instead choose wisely before you go so you don't have to deal with the need to reselect your university in Japan). This period will also give you time to study the language (usually through an intensive course all through this 6 month period, fitted to your needs and provided through the university) and to gradually adjust to life in Japan.

Although undergrad university study is considered a grace period for most young Japanese (after a very tough high school examination hell), Post grad studies are a different ball game and a positive attitude towards long work hours in the lab and facing day to day scholastic tasks and pressures is a very important factor. That does not mean that you will not have your own fun time, but the more you are able to handle the tasks efficiently the more time you will have to enjoy the experience of living in Japan. One big no-no is procrastination (although most do it)

As for life in Japan, it is really convenient and efficient as long as you know how to flow with the "System" over there. Make sure to have a good relationship with the people around you and make use of all the support systems provided like resident assistants at your dorm or life and academic guidance counselors.

There is some stress associated with living in Japan, There will be ups and downs, but it is not that unmanageable if you prepare your self both mentally and emotionally for the challenging work ahead. But this is a price that is easy to pay when you think that you might be doing front line research in your field. Of course in addition there are many great and unique experiences to be had in Japan and this also is worth the work you need to do to achieve your goal.

Regarding health care, you can enter the kokumin hoken (Public health insurance) system under the MEXT (and I guess any other programs as long as you are a resident in Japan) and you will be paying some money (around 20-30 dollars monthly) if memory serves, and you will be exempt of 70% of health care costs (which quite a big deal), please check it out on the net.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get the chance to do the research and work you are hoping for, be it in Japan or any other country ^_^

Edited by ukyou

Hi, Ukyou, I remember you from the old boards. ^_^

I agree with all your advice, and obviously you know your stuff very well.

If I could add a couple of things, though: In my experience, people should be aware that the option of writing theses in English not only varies from university to university, but it also depends on the graduate school within that university. Most of my friends in Law or Engineering spoke minimal Japanese and wrote their theses in English, but I was in the School of Letters, where they only accepted Japanese. So definitely, that's something to watch out for.

Secondly, the monthly MEXT scholarship stipend decreases pretty much every year. However, it varies depending on the region you choose: though the basic amount is standardized, you get extra allowance if you live in certain specific areas and Kyoto was one of them, so I got a little bit more than people in Osaka at the time, for example. But like I said, it dropped every so often anyway.

Lastly, the insurance reimbursement: I think it was around 80% when I started, then it dropped and for my last year it was 30% or so. So they are definitely cutting back considerably.

My advice is to make sure all of your information is up to date, because many things are changed every April.

Great to hear from you too Renato :D

It was sure lost of fun in the old board days (it still is!)

Thanks for the great follow-up.

True regarding writing the thesis in English being not just limited to the university itself, as the decision might come down to the faculty member supervising you at the micro level. If the desired field of study is scientific (i.e. Engineering or any technology related field like Mechatronics) there is a good chance that one under the consent of the faculty and the advisor, one might be able to write and submit work in English. I had to write mine in Japanese as well since my work was related directly to the Japanese language itself.

I heard of cases where extra funding was supplied in cases where a campus is located far from the place of residence or in some different regions (I was in Tokyo so it was a fairly standard case)

With the current financial crisis, the Japanese government is trying hard to cut costs and the MEXT scholarship monthly is always in danger of being decreased. Under the current "Shiwake" or public budget review, JASSO (Japanese student services organization) which helps out in providing dorms and other services to Japanese and foreign students, got quite a beating. But all in all, the monthly stipend provided by the Government MEXT program is still more or less enough for most people and a small part-time job on the side like translation or language tutor (although a bit tough to manage at times) will give one some extra financial support.

I was there last April so most of the info is not that old, but I agree that with such a volatile economy all over the world, things can change without notice.

The best thing is to base one's plans on the application forms released in April, but would advise taking a gander on last years's application and guideline to get a general heading on things.

Also it is quite worthwhile to check out other scholarship opportunities, both governmental and private.

Speaking from my experience there as a student, and what I remember:

Public healthcare costs vary depending on your income level of the previous year, thus for your first year in Japan you'll be paying the minimum. I was paying around 12,000yen/year because of that, although I have no idea if scholarships and stipends would be included in your income. As for the costs paid out, I know it's a considerable amount but compared to American healthcare costs it's pretty low.

The one hospital visit I had was shortly after I had lost my health insurance card and I had to pay 100% out of pocket. A doctors visit, xrays and medicine cost me less than 8000yen.

Speaking from my experience there as a student, and what I remember:

Public healthcare costs vary depending on your income level of the previous year, thus for your first year in Japan you'll be paying the minimum. I was paying around 12,000yen/year because of that, although I have no idea if scholarships and stipends would be included in your income. As for the costs paid out, I know it's a considerable amount but compared to American healthcare costs it's pretty low.

The one hospital visit I had was shortly after I had lost my health insurance card and I had to pay 100% out of pocket. A doctors visit, xrays and medicine cost me less than 8000yen.

That is really damn cheap!

I have a question though about the extent of coverage. What would the costs be for major surgery?

That is really damn cheap!

I have a question though about the extent of coverage. What would the costs be for major surgery?

I honestly don't remember, and the info I had about it is long since gone. For questions like this, I'd recommend starting a thread on a forum specializing in expats in Japan. I'd recommend fartedgaijin.com, as it's about the only such forum I've found that isn't filled with complete idiots. Lots of really knowledgeable people on there, and they were a big help when I was trying to get some stuff sorted to move to Japan.

EDIT: The stupid censoring function is obscuring the URL, it should be *f*u*c*k*edgaijin.com, obviously remove the *.

Edited by yellowlightman

After arrival in your new environment you must master the technique of running late to work/school while holding a giant piece of toast in your mouth, and miraculously meet your soul mate via physical collision proxy.

Now that's the way to live in Tokyo. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well where are you living now? Are you saying that out-of-state tuition is too much, so you're looking to go overseas? Doesn't sound smart with the exchange rate right now, but if you got some scheme on that whatever works. I'd worry most about the language-barrier. You probably dealt with a professor from a foreign country, being in engineering; was it really easier to get knowledge from him/her? In my experience, even when they're super-smart it isn't (hell just the fact that people are super-smart sometimes makes them lousy teachers, but that's another topic). Only thing I can add is did you check out North Carolina State University? I remember them advertising Mechatronics masters when I was in. And they got a engineering masters online course, so as long as you can pay the tuition you don't even have to move.

Its about 20k a year for tuition to schools that have my major. I could go overseas on scholarship and pay half as much and learn a new language at the same time.

If you're super awesome at both math and language, I suppose. I suppose if the Japanese kid in my senior design could do it you could too, but if you and your instructors aren't comfortable in the same language it just adds burdens. The priority in study is to get that degree. You don't want to lose the big bird chasing after another one as well. Have you been out of school for awhile, seen some of the world? I've heard(and seen) people do better in college after being out of school for awhile come back and kick the pants out of it.