I have the 00 and I have to say that its probably one of the best toys I've bought in 2011. The paint and finish is fantastic. All of the warning labels are painted on very well and the paint itself is incredibly sharp. Furthermore, most of the joints and frame of the 00 is made of metal. Articulation is between the HG and the MG 00. Its solid, and fun to pose. This line kicks the GFFMC series into a whole new level.

Awesome pics, Superhobo!

Honestly, I was never a fan of buying pre-assembled Gundam figs until I started building the 00Exia. I'm all too glad to make an exception for the 00 line. Those damn clear parts make it a bitch to even clear coat. I took the easy path of simply decaling and then matte coating my Exia, but even then I had to spray them almost part by part to avoid dulling up the GN drives. Basically, I stuck several parts on a skewer and sprayed.

That's two cans of Tamiya matte coat I had to use due to wastage from spraying individual parts, for what should have only taken less than a can on a fully assembled kit. I could have lined all the parts up and sprayed them like a Nazi execution squad, but I was worried I might the the parts all mixed up.

Basically, I stuck several parts on a skewer and sprayed.

lol, that's littleraly how I do every part of every gundam model I build. (Actually for MG exia I took blu-tak and stuck all the armor pieces to sheets of scrap matte board. didn't work out all that great so I went back to scewers).

and that's for multiple passes of primer, color and clear coat. :p

lol, that's littleraly how I do every part of every gundam model I build. (Actually for MG exia I took blu-tak and stuck all the armor pieces to sheets of scrap matte board. didn't work out all that great so I went back to scewers).

and that's for multiple passes of primer, color and clear coat. :p

Yeah, skewers are definitely better than boards. Some parts have multiple sides like the cone on the GN-drive that would be more easily sprayed on a skewer.

Fortunately, I was able to use blutack to loosely assemble the armor parts on the legs and spray them before proper assembly with the clear parts and hologram strips. Saved me about a quarter can of matte, and probably a few days of work. Speaking of which, the sticker for the chest is utterly useless. No one who's ever built an MG Exia was able to apply that damn sticker properly [unless you managed to :p ] . In any case, the clear part is so opaque that you couldn't see inside of it anyhow, unless you shone a flashlight at it.

Next up is Kotobukiya's Anubis ZoE Jehuty. That might be another headache waiting to happen, what with all the fluorescent lines running across its body that I thought were pre-painted.

Speaking of which, the sticker for the chest is utterly useless. No one who's ever built an MG Exia was able to apply that damn sticker properly [unless you managed to :p ] .

I don't think it turned out perfect but it was passible enough to work under thant green lens:

6651147447_e60464938c_z.jpg

MG Exia by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

I don't think it turned out perfect but it was passible enough to work under thant green lens:

MG Exia by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

Nice work! Your kungfu is indeed stronger.

That said, I'm probably too much of a perfectionist; even with the clear part covering the sticker, I kept seeing seams where the sides come together on mine where others couldn't even see through all that dark green opacity.

It doesn't end there. I couldn't get the perfect angle on some of the decals. Know that awesome-looking decal on the left shoulder? I screwed up the angle by a fraction of a millimeter, and scraped it off in a fit of pseudo-artistic frustration, only to regret it a minute later.

I also forgot to apply a few decals like the ones on the "ears" and shoulders. I had started the build several weeks earlier before stopping after I realized I didn't have enough matte spray. When I continued building the head, I had totally forgotten where I left off, and went ahead in clear coating the head without panel lining or applying decals. I was too lazy to sand off the matte coat, and left it at that.

The moral of this story: once you start a build, don't stop. Better yet, make sure you've got everything ready before starting.

BTW, did you photoshop that pic, or did you actually repaint the crotch and chin blue. The parts that were supposed to be red are replaced by dull blue tones.

Edited by GU-11

BTW, did you photoshop that pic, or did you actually repaint the crotch and chin blue. The parts that were supposed to be red are replaced by dull blue tones.

All paint. The only parts that arn't fully painted are the clear parts and some of the inner frame. I like Exia for the uninqueness of the design, and I though standard gundam colors looked to dirivative so I went for all blue

6654744023_4810e79381_z.jpg

MG Exia 2 by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

All paint. The only parts that arn't fully painted are the clear parts and some of the inner frame. I like Exia for the uninqueness of the design, and I though standard gundam colors looked to dirivative so I went for all blue

MG Exia 2 by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

I must say I like the custom colors, although it does make the fig look sort of monochrome.

Sorry to be a bother guys, but I've recently got back into my roots, which are the Gundam series. Anyone know of any seller that still sells the metal composite unicorn gundam (preferable not the prism coating version) that won't make me sell my kidney to get one?

Also, I decided to skip the freedom and go for the Gundam Origin! Can't wait to get it!

Hey guys, I have an original GFFMC Gundam Unicorn #1006 for sale. Everything is present, and the box is still in decent shape. Quality control on the figure is very good overall, but there's a small glue stain on the right bicep. If you can live with that glue stain or know how to get rid of it it could be yours for $220 shipped in the US. If your interested just send me a personal message.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after a long wait, I finally placed my order for a GFFMC origin gundam, just like I mentioned a few posts ago. I ordered from GG Infinite (who had a decent price), but I've never ordered from them before. Any of you guys tried them out before?

I recieved three emails from them so far, one telling me my new account info, one giving me an order receipt, and one telling my that my order has been processed. This all seems a bit different from HLJ (the only other store I really use), as I don't know what they mean by "processed". I hope that means that my order is ready to go though, as I ordered 2-3 day shipping, and I am hoping it will get here by saturday. Well, we'll see I guess

Well, after a long wait, I finally placed my order for a GFFMC origin gundam, just like I mentioned a few posts ago. I ordered from GG Infinite (who had a decent price), but I've never ordered from them before. Any of you guys tried them out before?

I recieved three emails from them so far, one telling me my new account info, one giving me an order receipt, and one telling my that my order has been processed. This all seems a bit different from HLJ (the only other store I really use), as I don't know what they mean by "processed". I hope that means that my order is ready to go though, as I ordered 2-3 day shipping, and I am hoping it will get here by saturday. Well, we'll see I guess

I've ordered from GG Infinite twice and they're good overall. I think some of their items are a bit overpriced though they do have some good deals, especially when there's a sale. They used USPS Priority shipping for my two orders so once they emailed me my items shipped and arrived quickly. Still, I remember waiting longer than I expected to just get the shipping notification. They're reliable though.

I've ordered from GG Infinite twice and they're good overall. I think some of their items are a bit overpriced though they do have some good deals, especially when there's a sale. They used USPS Priority shipping for my two orders so once they emailed me my items shipped and arrived quickly. Still, I remember waiting longer than I expected to just get the shipping notification. They're reliable though.

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, they do seem to overprice some things, but the Metal Composite Gundam Origin was only $165, which is a lot cheaper than other places that I saw (like evilBay). Looks like I also got the last one, as the item went from being in stock to out of stock following processing of my order. Unfortuntalely, it looks like I won't get my order by saturday though. They sent me an order processed message two days ago, but I've yet to recieve shipping notification (and they take sat/sun off), so the earliest they will be able to ship will be monday >_>

*sigh*

So, I just recieved my Metal Fix Figuration Gundam origin from GG infinite, and as a newcomer to GFFMC (GFF in general), I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

First of all, when i opened up the GG Infinite package, I was a little disappointed straight up front as the limited edition Origin booklet did not come with mine (as it should have come with all the first batch releases), but oh well, what can ya do? Then, I opened up the package and found pure gold.

I thought the figure was a little insubstantial at first, but then picked it up and FELT the heaviness of it. You can tell that it isn't called METAL composite for nothing. Pure awesome! Moving around and testing the joints out, they seem to be overly tight, but that is probably just due to the fact that the toy is brand new (and this is mainly in the hip joints area). Also, the ankle covers were a little too loose for my own preference, but whatever, it's just a nitpick. The detail is phenomenol, and even the smallest of tampo printings were clean cut and classy :)

Honestly though, I was so impressed that I even forgot about all the extras that it comes with, and just stuffed them back in the box until tomorrow, and simply displayed the clean cut figure on my desk (the only toy I display on my desk). Maybe I'll do some cool poses and stuff tomorrow.

Simply put, the detail, substantialness (if that is a word), and amazing articulation of the figure almost brought tears to my eyes (metaphorically of course), and I stood in wonder of why I never bought any previous GFFMC releases. I will be hunting more down now, and the solidarity of the figures has encouraged a well needed movement away from Yamato's fragile valkyries (which I'm too afraid to play with or pose a lot) to the world of Gundam....

Thanks for the heads up SuperHobo! Do you know anything about yellowing issues with GFFMC's, especially this origin one? I have flourescent light bulbs in my room pointed away from the figure, but does the origin (other metal composites as well) have paint or top coats to protect against it?

And is there a lot of danger of yellowing in general, even with top coats or paint?

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up SuperHobo! Do you know anything about yellowing issues with GFFMC's, especially this origin one? I have flourescent light bulbs in my room pointed away from the figure, but does the origin (other metal composites as well) have paint or top coats to protect against it?

And is there a lot of danger of yellowing in general, even with top coats or paint?

Thanks!

Hmmm well most of the GFFMCs are fully painted and I'd assume they all have some top coat on them so I don't think they would yellow any time soon. However, the Zeta Plus isn't fully painted and may be prone to yellowing.....quicker in theory at least.However, my Z-Plus is still doing fine. Finally, the GFFMC Unicorn isn't fully painted either, but its given a more subtle metallic pearl finish. So far I know the regular #1006 Unicorn is fine ,but the #1008 Prism version has been known to yellow super quick, The Origin one should be fine for a long time.

Thanks a ton man! This will be my [potentially] first robot damashii. How do these robot damashii's stack up against fix figures and what - not?

Are they more playable?

The byalant seems fairly large for a mobile suit, so I hope it is comparable to a 1/100 rx-78

Also, I just noticed that the Origin Fix Figuration has ball jointed ankles. Gah! They are not lose now, but I can feel them getting loser as I put more weight on the thing....

Thanks a ton man! This will be my [potentially] first robot damashii. How do these robot damashii's stack up against fix figures and what - not?

Are they more playable?

The byalant seems fairly large for a mobile suit, so I hope it is comparable to a 1/100 rx-78

Also, I just noticed that the Origin Fix Figuration has ball jointed ankles. Gah! They are not lose now, but I can feel them getting loser as I put more weight on the thing....

The Robot Damashii are very playable and look great - much better in terms of articulation compared to the old MSIA and Fix figures though the Fix figures are still the best in ters of paint apps. I'm still debating on preordering the Byalant and Guncannon due to their prices for being "exclusives". I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when they're going for over $200 each.

At that price Archer, I'd say buy it right now assuming it's real! I've never bought from that site though and it's really cheap so maybe it's a fake?

Yeah, I've never ordered either, but they say that it could come incomplete or damaged, with scratches and whatnot. Even at $60, I'd like to avoid getting q unicorn with one arm and half of its bits and parts missing....

I know I am being a n00b by asking a lot of questions, but what thoughts do you guys have about the Metal Composite Z Plus figure(s)? They seem to be the cheapest metal composites that I can find that aren't rx-78's, and my recent love of GFFMC is drawing my attention to them.

Is it worth picking one up, or should I simply fork over a lot more cash for the Unicorn?

Edit: I guess it's also worth mentioning that even before I really got into Gundam, the Zeta Gundam was always one of my favorite robots, even before watching the anime. The design captivated me a lot, and the Z Plus has a certain something that gets to me as well.

I'm just afraid, as I'm seeing a lot of negative reactions online about the figure...

Edited by Archer

I know I am being a n00b by asking a lot of questions, but what thoughts do you guys have about the Metal Composite Z Plus figure(s)? They seem to be the cheapest metal composites that I can find that aren't rx-78's, and my recent love of GFFMC is drawing my attention to them.

Is it worth picking one up, or should I simply fork over a lot more cash for the Unicorn?

Edit: I guess it's also worth mentioning that even before I really got into Gundam, the Zeta Gundam was always one of my favorite robots, even before watching the anime. The design captivated me a lot, and the Z Plus has a certain something that gets to me as well.

I'm just afraid, as I'm seeing a lot of negative reactions online about the figure...

There are 3 main complaints about the Zeta Plus.

1. It's not fully painted. Like the Yamato Valks, the main color (in this case - white) is just the color of the plastic.

2. The landing gears themselves won't fully support the toy in Wave Rider mode. It's too tail heavy thanks to the heavy diecast legs and requires an ugly support piece to prop the rear up.

3. Expensive.

Other than the above, it's a solid toy.

Oh, I don't mind too much about lack of painting, as the white camo more than makes up for it to me. Also, I don't plan on using landing gears either, as the support base works just fine for me. As for price, well, it's cheaper than many of the other GFFMCs that I could find, so I'm cool with it. The red edition is coming around $160 everywhere I look, which is cheaper than the origin.

Sounds like a plan then.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead due to this:

The next metal build gundam will be announced sometime after March 31st during a Tamashii event in Japan (as well as some "red" MS that has been eagerly awaited for Robot Damashii). Want to get your guys' thoughts on this.

I personally think the next metal build will stick to AU and release something along the lines of either a Gundam AGE or maybe something from Gundam wing...