household alternatives to paint thinner

skull_leader_v1

I've been using methylated spirits for the last five years. Works brilliantly with acrylics. Never tried isopropyl, but it'd probably dry faster than metho but cost a lot more.e

Mineral turpentine for enamels is ok but white spirits (low odour/faster drying) is better than the turps.

Yeah, I've used Windex to remove Acylic paint, works pretty well, so Iguess it'd work as a thinner. For enamel paints I've had success thinning with using lighter fluid in a pinch, as for Lacquer Paints I've heard of folks using brake-fluid to strip Lacquer based paints off of kits - but that stuff is pretty toxic so I wouldn't suggest trying to use it as a thinner. Hope that helps some.

I've used Windex for cleaning my airbrush, but I don't know that it'd be good to mix with paints; it's got that blue tint.

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works very well for cleaning or removing paint. If somebody else claims that it's a good thinner for spraying, I'd believe it.

Though really, the best stuff to mix with if you're spraying is probably the Tamiya thinner. I know you're looking to save money, but every time I skimp on something like this I end up wishing I'd spent the extra couple of bucks to get the result I wanted.

You don't want to use Windex! It contains Amonia, which dissolves Acrylic paints. Isopropyl alcohol is the main ingredient in things like Tamiya thinner. Sometimes I wonder if they add small quantities of other chemicals to the thinner that improve the consistency of the paint.

I use Isopropyl like it's going outa style! I prep my surfaces with it, thin with it, and clean with it. I only use the 70% stuff, not the hardcore 90-100%. I've only used it on flats, not gloss. It dries quite quickly, so may dim glosses. Always test on scrap plastic card or a yoghurt cup (cleaned). Don't botch up a work of art! - MT

For thinning, what MechTech suggests is purfect, especially for acrylic. consistency of milk is the way to go for that stuff when mixed with paint, which equates to like a 1:20 ratio on some paint. My experience, pour a glass of cold milk into a glass and drink it while mixing your paint. It puts it all into perspective. Just don't accidentally drink your paint. :lol:

For paint removal, my favorite is pine sol. I was introduced to it as a paint remover, and although it takes time to take off paint, I have had no bad reactions to the plastic from it. I buy the large commercial bottles, and mop my floors while taking off paint and tampo printing from my valks. :D

Edited by Jasonc

I use primarily Tamiya acrylics so I can only speak to those.

For thinning a good Isopropol Alchol will work wonders. The higher the alchol percentage the faster the dry time, which can help you adjust for whatever application your using. And it alot cheaper then the model specific stuff Tamiya sells.

Down side is that it tends to dull gloss and high gloss finishes, since it doesn't give the paint enough time to smooth out before it dries and leaves a kind of semi gloss surface. I've also found that your decals will sometimes 'silver' a little on this surface just like on matte paint. When painting Gloss I always use the Tamiya thinner, but only for the gloss.

as most others have said, Future Floor Acrylic, thinned with alchol is the best top coat. you can mix it with Tamiya Flat Base ( experiment on the ratios for what you like, I prefer a 3:1 ratio) for a dull coat.

For clean up regular 409 works great. Mix it about 70/30 with distilled water to clean you airbrush. Remeber to run pure distilled water through your brush after that, the 409 solution will mess up your paint job if theres any left inside when you spray your next color.