Battlepod

mojacko

yep hav to agree somethings off with the model....its seems a little flat rather than having a round body!!! but the weathering is really cool and real!!!

@ chrono:

sorry dude he doesnt have any link on his post on the other forum except for his e-mail add: rdoussang@gmail.com

I agree - a lot of work was put into the model. It's a shame that the designer couldn't (either through software, or skill,) get something a little closer to the original.

Nevertheless, the work is still stunning, and the first image of the 3 is relatively accurate.

And I generally blame the fact that getting good discussion C&C on a Macross project is responsible for ALOT of the oddities in the existing Macross 3D fan-art. I've personally not attempted building this model but I've had plans in development for over 10 months now as to how I want to build it.

We can never have enough Zen. on this board! ^_^

Getting it "perfect according to the lineart" is impossible people, since the lineart for most mecha is a skewed representation of what the mecha would look like in real life anyway. The VF-1 is a prime example, not even Kawamori could reproduce the "lineart look" faithfully in 3D. Wings don't shrink in 3D :)

I think Rodavan's model is damn fine and I wouldn't shed one tear about its accuracy if it was used in a mighty Macross movie in CGI :)

Getting it "perfect according to the lineart" is impossible people, since the lineart for most mecha is a skewed representation of what the mecha would look like in real life anyway. The VF-1 is a prime example, not even Kawamori could reproduce the "lineart look" faithfully in 3D. Wings don't shrink in 3D :)

I think Rodavan's model is damn fine and I wouldn't shed one tear about its accuracy if it was used in a mighty Macross movie in CGI :)

Don't you mean that getting it perfect is impossible for transforming mecha and models? Perhaps I'm naive about 3D modeling, but why is it impossible to match the lineart for non-transforming mecha (that therefore lack "anime magic")?

H

Don't you mean that getting it perfect is impossible for transforming mecha and models? Perhaps I'm naive about 3D modeling, but why is it impossible to match the lineart for non-transforming mecha (that therefore lack "anime magic")?

H

No. There's a reason no human hand can draw a perfect circle. It's the act of abstraction on a fundamental level. Each piece of lineart drawn freehand will always be different from another by the same artist, even drawings meant to be indentical from the same angle and scale. Accomplished skill can reduce the degree of noticable difference to slight variations, but it's impossible to get two drawings identical in every line, proportion, and especially curve. So the absolute accuracy down to each individual pixel in computer art is impossible to match in any freehand drawing (detractors often comment to this as a lacking aspect of CG art). So what piece of lineart is to be used as the absolute reference for any given 3D model of a mecha, given that each piece of lineart is different? Hence the dilemma and the futile quest for a "perfect" 3D model of a lineart drawing.

With non-transforming mecha, it is possible to get a closer approximation, but there are still some distortions going on. As Masamune Shirow said when he was talking about 3D design, in his "Intron Depot: Bullets" pg. 20. "I couldn't fall back on the little "lies" possible with traditional animation, (...)."

As a fellow artist, I understand that as the distortions, exagerations, and 'fixes' an artist does to make a design (or picture) look that much better (or cooler.)

So, yes, the line-art of the Regult does, despite its apparent simplicity, contain 'visual lies.' B))

All this "2D can't be perfectly translated to 3D" talk aside, while the texturing of the OP battlepod is really nice, the shape sucks.

Rodovan's model, and Captain America's resin kit show that a far more accurate 3-D representation is quite possible. Even the 1/200 Nichimo gets most of the basic shapes right.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, but the original model needs a bit more modeling work, even if it is destined to always be imperfect.

Getting it "perfect according to the lineart" is impossible people,

I don't think that was ever much of a question really, but many of us who do attempt to build these in 3D understand that a balance between being faithful to the lineart/design can only go so far before we need to 'add' to the design to make it visually 'work' in 3D.

In the end all you really can do is be faithful to the anime and the feelings that it imbued upon you as you attempt to bring those same feelings out from your our work. B))

I don't think that was ever much of a question really, but many of us who do attempt to build these in 3D understand that a balance between being faithful to the lineart/design can only go so far before we need to 'add' to the design to make it visually 'work' in 3D.

In the end all you really can do is be faithful to the anime and the feelings that it imbued upon you as you attempt to bring those same feelings out from your our work. B))

Often times it difficult to discern whether people are trying to get it perfect or berating themselves for flaws in their 3D models most of us would call nitpicking. If people do realize that a "perfect" representation is impossible, I'm content that they continue producing very impressive works that please the fans like me, such as Rodavan's fantastic model.

Part of my comment is also to politely encourage project completion. It'd be nice to see less time spent "perfecting" these models and more time spent doing something with them, like animations or wallpapers. Some of these projects have been going on for years now and show no signs of ever being completed. Part of producing a great piece of art is having the will to say "It's finished" and move forward. Artists I realize are their own worst critics, but if people couldn't enjoy the Mona Lisa because Da Vinci was constantly repainting the thing, we'd all lose out :)