The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

If you've seen me complain about the Xbox 360, you'd know I hate loud noise and droning. There's a big difference between a better-sounding exhaust, and a louder exhaust. Stock 98-99 T/A's sound *very* nice IMHO, any change would simply make them louder or drone while cruising, not sound *better*. (Now I know GXP's actually do sound better with Flowmasters, but I don't know how it affects overall loudness or drone) I have yet to hear my type of car sound *better* with any exhaust, even the GTX setup. They usually sound more "harsh" to my ears. Or they'll just sound "different"--no better or worse or louder.

06 GP GXP with flowmasters.

All this talk of exhaust noise is making me remember my old '70 SS. The guy I bought it from did all the mods, so I take no credit there, but I have never in my life heard a street car any louder. No one I know has either. Some people used to think it had glass packs. Jeesus do I miss that beast. It didn't drone, it roared. Not a nasty scream like a dragracer, a roar...a roar like the very voice of god.

Used to set of car alarms in parking garages in idle. Probably a bit on the other side of street-legal now that I think about it. Good times, good times.

exhausts sounds notes dB are all dependent on manufacturer and type. I can get an exhaust that sounds droning loud and obnoxious or i can buy one that's smooth, even, and almost symphonic. I've seen BMW's that sound like Corvette's and vice versa, it's just all about research and what brand and sound suits you.

Also, louder doesn't mean better performing, either. Flowmaster mufflers, for example, are known for their tone but flow tests have shown that they don't perform better than say Dynomax Ultra-flows for example. Dynomax may not have that distinctive tone, but they perform better and that's what I look for...

Not bad, not bad at all, but I think I'll stick with my "new" Trans Am... :lol:

Not bad, not bad at all, but I think I'll stick with my "new" Trans Am... :lol:

Eh, it won't look like that anyways:

...a sporty rear-wheel-drive, V8-powered coupe that may look like the rendering above. Now, no one knows what this coupe will look like or even how far along in development it is

Do you even bother reading the links you post, Areaseven? What a waste of time.

Do you even bother reading the links you post, Areaseven? What a waste of time.

Yes, I did read that article, Sean. I was aware that the rendering above wouldn't be the final design, but seriously, you don't need to make a big deal out of it.

Now, for once, Sean, stop being negative towards others. If you have any difficulty with your aberrations, perhaps an hour of auditing will help.

Vanagon. Is that the camper-van thing from Volkswagon a few years ago?

yeah, well its the 3rd generation of the VW Van. Came out in the 80s. The vanagon Westfalia would be the camper version with the pop top tent.

I have one and here is the vehicle specs straight out of the book.

gross vehicle weight = 4,000 lbs

hp = 68 :blink: no joke

with a power to weight ratio like that, this thing moves I tell ya.

yeah, well its the 3rd generation of the VW Van. Came out in the 80s. The vanagon Westfalia would be the camper version with the pop top tent.

I have one and here is the vehicle specs straight out of the book.

gross vehicle weight = 4,000 lbs

hp = 68 :blink: no joke

with a power to weight ratio like that, this thing moves I tell ya.

I would drive that,,, but it would have to be painted like the mystery machine

Hmm...Was there a "Wolfsburg" edition?

A bit OT but there's literally nowhere else to check:

I'm *really* trying to find some of Turtle Wax's (I know) Color Cure polish. AKA "the colored wax with the lipstick thing on the bottle". In silver. Apparently they stopped making silver (and several other colors) a few months ago, and *every* place online is out of it, as are all the places around here. And the few bottles that pop up on ebay are going for like 40 bucks a bottle. If anyone should happen to spy a bottle of the silver at their local parts place, I will gladly pay, as I can't find it anywhere.

That's not OT. Anyway, isn't there a suitable replacement for it by another company? Speaking of Turtle Wax, anyone thinking about trying their new clay bar stuff?

I haven't seen or heard about any other colored waxes at all. As for the clay---do you mean the Ice liquid clay bar? Saw a few posts---apparently it does work OK, it's just only for light claying---for the people who clay often and there's not much to remove. Not a semi-annual heavy "get the rail dust off" claying.

Anyone following the stolen Bullitt Mustang in Orlando saga? It's spreading across the forums like wildfire:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=914685

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389063

The short version: A heavily modded Mustang was stolen, and the thief kept it instead of chopping it and is out drag racing it! Has been spotted several times, but he's outrun the cops at least once, if not twice. They're sending Crown Vics after it...

Lo-Jack! Which reminds me, I need to buy one for the Blackbird. Oh, and speaking of Blackbird, I had no idea that keeping a black car clean would be this much trouble.

Something about that story doesn't make sense to me, however. Since when do the police just "give up" a pursuit? No car on public roads is so fast that it can out-distance pursuing vehicles as well as air cover...

Edited by myk

If there's no air cover, and the cops don't have anyone positioned ahead---it's pretty easy to lose a Crown Vic I'd say. They've apparently made no effort to set up a spike strip or road block etc. Honestly, to them it's just "stolen property"---he's not an escaped convict or murderer. They don't want to risk too much I'd guess.

What a piece of sh*t. I mean the thief, not the car. To take something from someone else, after they put all their sweat/money/effort/etc into making it something special; there ain't much in this world lower than a damned, dirty thief....

Edited by reddsun1

That's Orlando for ya, their police can't do much when it comes to pursuits. Sucks for the owner though....

I heard Orlando should be getting the new police Chargers though, so one of those might be able to catch the thing with a competant driver.

Honestly, it won't matter if they get a fleet of Vipers. Orlando as well as many of the other police agencies in Central Florida have a pretty strict "no-chase" policy when it comes to crimes like this. A few too many lawsuits and injuries. Although, the Orlando street racing squad doesn't seem to have the same scruples about giving chase. ;)

Now for the good news! The Bullitt has been recovered thanks to some Fuel SluT forum members (who had their own cars damaged in the process). I am sure it doesn't look as good as it did in the magazine spread, but the owner is happy to have it back. Unfortunately, the scum that was driving it got away. <_< I just hope they have enough leads to catch him. Here is a link to the complete thread including all the details of the confrontation:http://www.fuelslurm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55841

**Hooray for board filters...Replace the "urm" with "ut" in the link to see the thread.**

And a quick cut & paste of the details for those who don't want to dig through the 20+ page thread:

We were at the corner of Kirkman and I-drive at that chevron/mobil gas station (had to get some fuel/h20/ice for curtis!)

We were heading back to our cars to drive around town at the posted speed limit when I saw a green bullet drive by and stop at the light at the corner we were at. I immediately yelled, "BULLET!"

I got in my car and chased after him some. Saw that he pulled into a parking lot where backstage is by and found him about to park the stolen car next to some latin bar/club. I blocked him in t-bone style and got out of the car to just talk to him (stall). Curtis pulled in behind him and blocked him, as did trevor with his white WRX Next to me. some more fuelslurm people showed up.

The guy paniced, started pushing the stolen car into other cars, and basically slamming his way into cars to push them out of the way. One red z28 had some scuff marks, and the white wrx had some bad scuffs on the front bumper with the back bumper being dented in from being pushed into the Mercedes SUV.

Eddie tried to pull the guy out of the car but the guy dropped the clutch and fishtailed intot he curb and hit Trevor. He than pushed forward and nailed the Mercedes SUV along the side of the car. The guy took off and proceeded to run through the industrial area behind backstage. He (they...had a passenger) ditched the car when curtis found them walking. They jumped in a Silver Mercedes and took off.

We found the car. It had been abandoned. We got the cops there. We had a unit tailing the Mercedes as well, but apperantly they were told by the night commander to let him go

We proceeded to fill out incident reports next to the abanded bullet, when those thieves showed back up in the mercedes and took off again when they saw us there.

The cops tried to follow them, but they got into their cars too late.

That just about sums it up.

Crazy night.

Read the complete thread if you get a chance. (Gotta love the cab driver giving chase with passenger in tow... :D ). Nothing quite like fellow gear heads. That was some nice work by people who didn't even know the owner. It could have been very dangerous, but it turned out okay. The poor Subaru belonging to one member seems to have the worse damage, but a fund has been set up to help cover the costs. They are getting my donation. If I had known there were such nice people in that area, I would've been very tempted to stay in Winter Garden instead of leaving the state.

Edited by trueblueeyes

that Ferrari is perhaps the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Halloween anyone?

and those guys were absolute friggin idiots for getting their cars bashed up over some rich guys stolen Bullit.

If I'd have spotted it I'd have called that cops and thats about it.... I would have in no way attempted to confront the driver. thats just stupid stupid stupid (as they'll soon find out when their insurance rates go up after getting their cars fixed).

then again they live in central florida or whatever god-forsaken place this happened and they post on a site called "fuel slurm" lol :p

nah screw that. I can't stand people who steal things. Makes my blood boil.

If it had been my car and if i was there when they found the guy... nah i'd have ended up in jail.

It's sooo unfair how people think they can just take what they want. If it's not food or something like that, this should be a HUGE crime.

Stealing things is basically stealing money from someone, and money is a representation of the time a person has spent at work earning that money. So in a way a criminal is stealing time from your life when they steal from you. I can only think of a few worse crimes.

I love the flat black finish; it gives the Ferrari a unique stealth fighter look. But the orange crap has to go; not to mention the Lambo-wannabe doors.

2007 Hamann Ferrari F430 Black Miracle

Ferrari go through a lot of trouble to avoid putting big ugly spoilers on the back of their car's and what do the tuners put on them?... :angry:

And that body kit is for the 360, and it already looked stupid on that.

Love that flat black color though.