I am Unicron

Deadzone

I already know there is a Unicron thread, but I was hoping this could be a new one based on people customizing Unicron. I spent too many damn hours on this thing for it to get burried in some thread nobody looks at anymore.

When Unicron first came out, I said two things to myself. The first was go out and buy that thing. The second was repaint that thing. I liked the toy itself, but the color scheme was terrible in my opinion. Robot mode was okay, but planet mode really bit hard. So, I decided to paint it more like the movie. This is my first custom ever, and I think it turned out alright. Some paint chipped off during tranformation (even though I used primer and clear coat) >:( so I still have to touch up the robot mode. At first I thought, who in their right mind would want to buy a display stand to show off the uglier planet mode. Now, I'm tempted to buy a stand for mine. Check it out:

post-26-1063299478_thumb.jpg

You know what would work as a display stand??

One of the three legged acrylic jobbies that SITHLORD sells from time to time.

Nice Custom!. Too bad that the toy in planet mode doesn't really look like the movie, I don't remember Unicron having the big flat portions on the bottom.

Ehh... close enough.

I thought of painting the ring orange but thought, "That's too much work!" Actually, the rings are too thick for painting orange. I think they would stand out too much. In the movie, they were toothpick thin which was fine. On the toy, they look like giant tree trunks. Also, the paint would probably chip off too easily due to the amount of movement and handling needed to be done with the rings.

Here is a picture of robot mode. There still is the problem of the crack in unicron's chest. I didn't want to glue it shut and put putty all around it because I kind of like the chest missle. Yeah, it's cheesy but I always surprise my friends by shooting it at them. He is a bit silvery due to me trying to cover up all that ugly purple. Still, I think it turned out a lot better than the Armada version.

post-26-1063333709_thumb.jpg

Wow, thats cool, but last time I tried painting a TF, my original Galvatron, it came out suckier than suck, and I ruined him. I will never paint another figure just to make him look show accurate.

I have one Unicron unopened, and a second one opened currently giving everyone the finger while standing next to my 2 ft tall Voltron.

For those of you who are wondering how long this took, this was my first custom EVER! So, I had a lot of trial and error. Must have repainted some parts three times because of mistakes. Anybody without painting experience, do yourself a favor. Buy Tamiya model paints and skip the Createx. I used Tamiya orange, aluminum, light grey, and yellow for the colors. The orange you see on his chest is actually a mix between the orange, light grey, and yellow.

Tamiya is excellent because it is strong enough to take light wet sanding for certain colors. If you mess up with aluminum though, forget it. Got to start over. It seems like the aluminum has metallic flakes mixed in with a dark grey. During sanding, the metallic flakes usually come off first leaving the ugly grey behind and an uneven surface. I tried several times to repair certain spots only having to redo almost the entire piece again. Tamiya is easily removed with windex and a lot of Q-tips.

I tried painting with createx for the waist and chest areas. Unfortunately, I ended up having to redo the chest area with Tamiya because the createx was so fragile when it came to apply clear coats and doing fixes. The createx clear coat I used also was very fragile and will cloud when exposed to excessive water. To this day, I am still wary of touching painted parts with sweat on my hands. The Future floor wax coat I used on other areas seemed to be stronger. However, don't use Future on Createx paint. I think it strips the paint a little. Tamiya on the other hand is pretty solid.

I worked on this thing for three weekends straight and on and off during the week. The next one I do will probably be easier and faster now that I know all the pitfalls (Avoid Createx at all costs!) that is, if I do another one.

Note: Createx is probably fine for the experienced modeller, but I can't stand the stuff.

oh yeah, that looks sweet! I would definitly buy that version of unicron if it came out. I wonder now, since unicron is coming out in japan, is there going to be a difference between the american release with the japanes release? Only thing I see different is that the japanese version comes with a video. I wonder if it might be a little different as in paint schemes. Here's a link for an ad:

unicron ad

:p:D:lol:

Wow!! :o Thats some really nice work there Deadzone, looks waaay better than original :D

speaking of unicron Fantofan.org has just uploaded a file from micron legend highlighting the great chaos bringer himself in animated form which hasb't been seen in America yet

pretty awesome WARNING 40 Meg

for people without adsl

wow, that looked really good! I love the way the ad was copied straight from the cartoon. That was cool. Makes me want to buy the toy even more! :p:D:lol:

Does the video stop at 56 seconds for anyone else? Actually.....around 56 seconds it loops to the beginning. Why are those kids flying in space? Hahahahaha. The Unicron sculpt does look like it's straight from Armada....nice work.

Does the video stop at 56 seconds for anyone else? Actually.....around 56 seconds it loops to the beginning. Why are those kids flying in space? Hahahahaha. The Unicron sculpt does look like it's straight from Armada....nice work.

those kids aren't flying in space, well they are, but it's cyber space. They got pulled into cyber space and that part where they are flying is towards the end of the episode where they are leaving. That's when unicron appears and seems like he's chasing them. That's unicron's first appearence in the show. Can't wait till he fully comes out. :p:D:lol:

For some reason when I go to the fantofan.com site, it gives me a bunch of gibberish. I can't seem to watch the movie, and I have a cable modem. Any suggestions?

Also, I saw a picture of the new black Unicron coming out. Apparently, links aren't allowed to it because of prototype issues. Personally, I think it looks pretty lame. I wish they would just release a movie version. It would save me the trouble of having to repaint the damn thing.

I remember someone bashing the transformers forums when people there were singing praises about energon prime. I'm beginning to agree with him. Apparently, most of the people there like the new black version of Unicron. In fact, some of them thought it was better than the Armada version. They talk about it as a must have! I think a black version of Unicron can be cool, but the initial pictures I've seen look kind of stupid. Maybe it will look better up close. I don't know.... seems like there is no accounting for taste anymore.

Let's make Rainbow brite Unicron. He will have all the wonderful colors of the rainbow and appeal to kids everywhere.