Sci Fi and '80's on DVD

Gaijin

If I remember correctly down here in the states when they re-aired ToD on our History Channel (or was it TNT?) it was this new altered version and not the "classic" one. .

The last time I saw it, the Canadian History Channel was airing the original version. I should check to see if they're still running it, and what version exactly they're showing.

Ok for those who care I could not resist any longer and went out on my lunch and bought the Tour of Duty set at Walmart (lowest price here, $36.99 for the set). I watched the pilot and ep 1 on my computer at work (yes, rather than working :p ) and have the following to report to those, like me, who are die-hard fans:

The GOOD:

- Outside of the music the episodes appear uncut and unaltered from their original form and they are placed on the DVD in the correct order (duh... but sometimes some DVD sets get the right orders mixed up)

- the packaging is superb. Nice keepbox with a fold out cardboard/plastic keepcase for the 5 discs and booklet. Nice graphics on the keepcase.

- the booklet, while sparse (just a list of the episodes, a brief synopsys of each and the cast for the ep), is nice.

- the sound quality is excellent and presented in Dolby Digital... due to the audio track remix most likely

- it's F'ing Tour of Duty, bitch. :p

The BAD:

- The music. More precisely the lack thereof. The entire original rock and roll soundtrack has been replaced with the show's incidental music. Folks who have seen the show will remember the flute and guitar haunting theme that rolls during the commercial breaks and the closing credits... well ladies and gentleman that is now used ad nausiem to fill in where the licensed rock music used to be. Along with a grotesque filler canned "generic rock music" lick they use over and over again all the musical soul has been sapped from the show. It's mood is drastically changed into a more somber and sad feeling than the "period piece" feeling it used to have.

- NO EXTRAS. None. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Just the shows and some commericals for Columbia's other TV to DVD items. Quite dissapointing.

The UGLY:

- on a sad note I regret to inform you that your video quality has been killed in action with the enemy. No sign of remastering or even a basic attempt to clean up the picture is present. Grain, color issues, pops and all other manner of VHS bullcrap rear it's ugly head throughout the first DVD... and from what I have heard it does not get any better. Video quality ranges from tollerable to terrible. If Columbia wanted me to have the "watching an old bootleg VHS of the show" feeling then damn, they hit the nail on the head.

My Verdict:

While the video quality, replacement of almost all the kickass music and the complete lack of any extras make me want to join the VC the fact that after so many long years one of CBS's finest shows is in my hands leaves me reluctantly waving the US flag. I can only hope that perhaps as time marches on they can actually secure the rights to the music, clean up the video and at least give me some crappy still cards for extras with the release of the future seasons. Seaons two and three are short compared to season one so perhaps they will combine them for the second set.

If you are a die-hard ToD fan, watched it on TV with baited breath from '87 to '89 like I did then you must buy this set... but if you are a casual fan or just simply "interested" in seeing it I feel you may be disappointed by the lack of shine on the set. The audo thing is not an issue if you never saw the show before, you will just simply think the show is depressing... but the grainy video will make you just a tad angry that you are watching a DVD and not a VHS. Seeing as it has a low price and there are bootlegs already available (for the more tightassed out there) I see no reason not to buy and enjoy... just imagine the music in your head and squint so the grain goes away.

Tour of Duty Fun Fact! (that means nothing to anyone but me)

When ToD ran on CBS back in the day my father (who was in ailing health at the time) and I used to watch it together. We both enjoyed the show and we both also found it ironic that the character Sgt. Anderson (Terence Knox) had the same name and rank as my father when he was in country in the 'Nam. The show was a nice piece that let my father and me spend some more time together and I enjoyed listening to his insights on the show... the typical "that's BS" or "that is totally right". I still feel bad to this day that he died before the show ended... so to me in some way watching this show my father still watches it with me.

Sappiness over! Buy the DVDs dammit! :lol:

When ToD ran on CBS back in the day my father (who was in ailing health at the time) and I used to watch it together. We both enjoyed the show and we both also found it ironic that the character Sgt. Anderson (Terence Knox) had the same name and rank as my father when he was in country in the 'Nam. The show was a nice piece that let my father and me spend some more time together and I enjoyed listening to his insights on the show... the typical "that's BS" or "that is totally right". I still feel bad to this day that he died before the show ended... so to me in some way watching this show my father still watches it with me.

That's awesome man. Kinda like when my father watched that Flying Tigers movie(with John Wayne IIRC) with his dad. He said my grandpa was all "THEY CAN'T DO THAT!" or "THAT'S NOT HOW WE DID IT!"

Up sun!

That's awesome man. Kinda like when my father watched that Flying Tigers movie(with John Wayne IIRC) with his dad. He said my grandpa was all "THEY CAN'T DO THAT!" or "THAT'S NOT HOW WE DID IT!"

Up sun!

Its less fun, however, explaining to your room-mate how to fight with a katana. He's seen TV/movies... I've done the research... *sigh* :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping that when Universal release Miami Vice season 1 later this year or next year(?), that they have managed to secure all the song rights and keep all the original songs, instead of replacing them with some generic crap.

I know problems with music licensing is what has kept the show from being released on DVD before now. I'd gladly pay extra for Mimi Vice DVDs, to have all the original tracks in place.

Graham

That is the major issue with Miami Vice... the music. Not so much it's own "soundtrack" but that Michael Mann used a different muscal artist on every episode... that sort of crap means that for almost every individual episode they have to secure some now defunct '80s band's release to use their song.

The BAD:

- The music. More precisely the lack thereof. The entire original rock and roll soundtrack has been replaced with the show's incidental music. Folks who have seen the show will remember the flute and guitar haunting theme that rolls during the commercial breaks and the closing credits... well ladies and gentleman that is now used ad nausiem to fill in where the licensed rock music used to be. Along with a grotesque filler canned "generic rock music" lick they use over and over again all the musical soul has been sapped from the show. It's mood is drastically changed into a more somber and sad feeling than the "period piece" feeling it used to have.

If my memory serves me, it wasn't until the second or third season that the Rolling Stone's Fade to Black was used for the opening credits. The music used for the end credits was used for the opening credits of the first season.

After reading that the video wasn't cleaned up/remastered, I'm not sure if I'll get Tour of Duty on DVD...

The BAD:

If my memory serves me, it wasn't until the second or third season that the Rolling Stone's Fade to Black was used for the opening credits. The music used for the end credits was used for the opening credits of the first season.

After reading that the video wasn't cleaned up/remastered, I'm not sure if I'll get Tour of Duty on DVD...

Ahem, "PAINT IT BLACK" !!!

But if that were true than what explains the missing other music? No Doors, no CCR, no Hendrix, no nothing. I stayed up most of the night last night watching the DVDs and I clearly remember a few of the episodes as having some very noticeable songs in them.

Plus I have a VHS copy of the pilot from the british/european release and Paint it Black is the theme song for the opening.

Yeah, that Paint It Black opener was the bomb from day one. To be honest, if ToD had been a more popular show, like Miami Vice, they probably would have worked harder to secure the DVD rights to the music.

Basically the situation was back then licensed the music for broadcast and re-broadcast... they had no idea that they might one day sell episodes of TV shows for profit - that was crazy talk!

And it's really only now that they're starting to see the profit potential of releasing seasons of classic television on DVD, but not enough so that the companies involved feel great about paying the Stones another coupla millions to play Paint it Black on a DVD set that they're not sure how well will sell.

For my money, they could've skimped on the music in the show, but you don't lose the opening theme - particularly when it's that damn cool. Go buy Mick and Keith a new Gulfstream and make folks happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Star Wars animated shows Droids and Ewoks are coming to DVD...

and a sneak pic at the possible cover arts for the sitcom everyone wants on DVD... :)

post-26-1090748457.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

• 3 years later...
Secret Identity was cool. It was like Spiderman only not. In fact, IIRC the main character references Spiderman many times throughout the series.

IIRC Jerry O'Connell's character called his Secret Identity name. . . . . . . . . . . Ultraman!?