Summer 84 -> Summer 04. Will Big West let it pass?

UN Spacy

Well. It's a little more than month away from the 20th Anniversary of (the theatrical release of) DYRL. From what I've been told around Macrossworld it was released sometime during the second week of August (possibly the 10th in Japan).

Do you guys think Big West should put any effort into celebrating this special event? :D:blink::angry::p

What do you think will eventually happen?

Well. It's a little more than month away from the 20th Anniversary of (the theatrical release of) DYRL. From what I've been told around Macrossworld it was released sometime during the second week of August (possibly the 10th in Japan).

Do you guys think Big West should put any effort into celebrating this special event? :D:blink::angry::p

What do you think will eventually happen?

Nothing is going to happen. The Japenese don't place the same value on round numbered anniversarys as we do. <_<

Now 25, that'll be a big deal. :)

Nothing is going to happen. The Japenese don't place the same value on round numbered anniversarys as we do. 

Im not so sure about that, lest we forget the Gundam Big Bang Project celebrating 20 years of Gundam. Id like to see a DYRL rerelease, but i thikn it will come and go as Macross has a habit of not really promoting itself as much as Gundam.

Now DYRL at Otakon on the big screen.....there is a good idea.....

Nothing is going to happen. The Japenese don't place the same value on round numbered anniversarys as we do. 

Im not so sure about that, lest we forget the Gundam Big Bang Project celebrating 20 years of Gundam. Id like to see a DYRL rerelease, but i thikn it will come and go as Macross has a habit of not really promoting itself as much as Gundam.

Now DYRL at Otakon on the big screen.....there is a good idea.....

In 1999 Otakon showed DYRL? on the main events screen. That was great. Same year Mari Ijima did her concert there.

I'm celebrating the 20th of DYRL and the 10th of Mac Plus at Otakon this year.

I will be giving a panel with some other Macross Worlders on Friday, July 30th at 8:30 PM in Panel 1.

Trying to get them to show the film, more to follow...

And if the Japanese don't place that high a value on anniversaries, why did they reissue all the Bandai's in 2002, coincidentally the 20th anniversary of the TV Series?

Nothing is going to happen. The Japenese don't place the same value on round numbered anniversarys as we do. <_<

Now 25, that'll be a big deal. :)

Given the Gundam Big Bang Project (I miss seeing those commercials) and the Macross 20th Anniversary, I find it difficult to believe this statement. That doesn't mean I believe Big West is going to do anything for the DYRL? 20th anniversary, it's looking pretty bleak right now.

Still, it'd be incredibly nice.

I'm looking forward to the Macross Panel at Otakon. It'd be a real shame if the east coast's biggest anime convention decided to pass up showing DYRL? on the 20th anniversary of the event. I'd love it if they show both DYRL? and the Plus movie on the min screen.

Man. Someone should show this at Otakon. Nah. All the 1 million goths that will be there won't know what it is, not to mention the teeny boppers. Sigh. Why why why why???

*Ahems and happens to be goth and an obscenely rabid Macross fan*

To make an event out of an anime show's 20th anniversary, you need merchandising sponsor interest. Judging by how Hasegawa didn't renew the license for some of their Valk kits and Bandai just stopping cold turkey with the Taka reissues, while Yamato isn't exactly setting sales records with their new releases, I think sponsorship interest is not exactly at the level of Gundam's.

If Big West owned their own toy company things might have been different, but let's not kid ourselves... Macross is not that huge in Japan, where crap with V fins and red tongues outsell sleek VFs in astronomical proportions.

<_<

i'm 1 of the guys helping mechamaniac at otakon w/ our macross panel.after seeing agent 1's link,it wouldn't surprise me if hg was outside of our panel selling "official" t-shirts & superposables.........sigh <_<

Why should they? 20 years since the beginning of the series is one thing, but why would anyone celebrate 20 since DYRL? What's next, 20 since Macross Plus? 20 Since Macross Plus Movie Edition? Don't get me wrong, guys, I love Macross as much as the next. And 20 years of Macross was great. I hope they do something nice for Macross' 25th. But celebrating the anniversaries of Macross sequels?

i'm 1 of the guys helping mechamaniac at otakon w/ our macross panel.after seeing agent 1's link,it wouldn't surprise me if hg was outside of our panel selling "official" t-shirts & superposables.........sigh <_<

Yeah, sorry Duane, I was in a rush earlier and forgot to give credit where credit is due...

The panelists this year will be...

Myself

Valkyrietestpilot

TheLoneWolf

Joke Machine

If time permits, we'd like to do an East Coast MW thing too!!!