For Dummies and newbies! Starship troopers!

Always glad to know there's fans of Dune around... but after giving the first 2 'prequels' a go, I'd have to say Brian Herbert is simply riding on his dad's fame. For me, the Dune Chronicles ended with the late great Frank Herbert.

you already seem to be avoiding it thats a good thing but let me give you a last warning

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DUNE: HOUSE CORRINO IF YOU VALUE OR CHERISH ANYTHING ABOUT DUNE!!!!!!

If you like Starship Troopers, which I ADORE!!!!, try a book called "Armor" by John Steakley. It has similarities to SST such as Powered Armor but looks at war through memories or flashback. It's pretty cool you guys should give it a try, if you liked the SST book. :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Always glad to know there's fans of Dune around... but after giving the first 2 'prequels' a go, I'd have to say Brian Herbert is simply riding on his dad's fame. For me, the Dune Chronicles ended with the late great Frank Herbert.

you already seem to be avoiding it thats a good thing but let me give you a last warning

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DUNE: HOUSE CORRINO IF YOU VALUE OR CHERISH ANYTHING ABOUT DUNE!!!!!!

Yeah, Frank Herbert's vision is, to me, like a Sci Fi LOTR in a way. I mean, its got Sci-Fi/Politics/Mysticism.... and the way he writes is enough to keep me actually interested in seeing what is going to happen on the next page, something that many authors fail to do with me. Plus I enjoy tales of reluctant/regretful prophets... and in Leto II's case... angry with a useless flipper pointed straight at the society that engineered them both. Besides, Kwisatz Haderach just sounds cool to me. :)

I would love to see an OAV series covering the entire Dune Chronicles(1-6 or maybe 1-8 if the last 2 turn out good) done by maybe Gainax(Demonstrated ability to animate more abstract concepts... maybe do a better job of getting inside the heads of the characters without the annoying Lynch internal monologue...)... and any number of anime companies could do wonderful fight choreography.

I do believe that Starship Troopers is considered a financial disaster. It only grossed about 50 million and cost over 100 million to produce. It didn't turn a profit, otherwise Starship Troopers II would have come out years ago...and with a much higher budget.

Uhhhh.........you know...... :unsure: it didn't get nominated in the Academy Awards for best special effects, granted, it lost, but it got nominated. I don't recall seeing any other movie that got a nomination for best special effects that didn't get much money in the ticket offices.

And if I remember right, I probably saw that movie 3 or 4 times during the first week it was out. Not only did I like it cause it had boobs and Michael Ironside, but because it was militaristic and killing giant bugs, I was into that poo when I was in Jr.High.

Personally I loved the first movie :p watched it this week, hell I gotta go to hollywood and turn it in tonight before it's midnight lol. However, I HATED the second movie, I thought THAT raped the whole meaning and essence of Starship Troopers.

not too mention they did admit they changed the story around, such as new or different characters and that they were gonna release the capsule troopers but they ran over budget and they thought it would just make the film look even MORE silly.

But it did present alot of views that I didn't see such as it being a facist related film....or well....you know wha I mean....: / I didn't see that till now. was to young to really view it and I didn't start learning about WWII till Freshman year in HS, it was forbidden in Jr. High to start teaching that stuff.

• 1 month later...
If you like Starship Troopers, which I ADORE!!!!, try a book called "Armor" by John Steakley. It has similarities to SST such as Powered Armor but looks at war through memories or flashback. It's pretty cool you guys should give it a try, if you liked the SST book. :)

Chris

Thanks for the heads up about this book!

I am reading it now. So far I like it a lot.

There have been only two films in the past 10 years that made me feel as if I'd been mugged coming out of the theater, Starship Troopers was one, the other was Waterworld. While Waterworld was utterly irredeemable, at least Starship Troopers had cool visual effects, but not cool enough to outweigh the sheer craptastic quality of the scrip, acting, editing (I absolutely hated the "would you like to know more?" bits...it may have worked in the book, but it sucked camel balls in the movie), and the piece de resistance...Verhoven's directing. A stinker tour the force.