Macross Twins

Culverin

gotta thank kanata67 for trading with me

i figured hey why not?

i'm really really short on cash so i still haven't seen the original series yet :(

oh well, getting some hours at work soon.

piece of wood was a buggered up 2x6 i picked up at the construction site.

was bored.

started with a box cutter. thinking of painting it... but maybe not

macrosstwins1.jpg

macrosstwins3.jpg

stinger1.jpg

wasp1.jpg

btw, these are like an inch and a half tall :p

wow they look old school. Almost like the old school design of the vf 1j in shoji kawamori's macross design works book. Was there any more variations of those? by the way nice paint job

From Rich

wow, nice job on those little figures. What are those suppose to be? Early macross designs? Or a rip off of Macross?

From what I understand, BT took a handful of ideas from Macross and started using them as mecha. If memory serves correctly there are a lot of BT designs borrowed from Macross...

The Glaug, enemy Battlepods, VF1s, and various destroids come to mind.

Very nice detailing on those figures Culverin......the VF-1A head looks like it's mixed with parts from a Virtual On mech. How long did it take you to carve the UN Spacy logo in there? :blink:

FASA, the original BattleTech publishers, somehow acquired the use of a number of Macross designs in BattleTech - these included, among others, the Tomahawk, various Valkyries, and some Zentraedi units (also some mecha from Dougram and Crusher Joe as well!).

Originally, the designs used were almost identical - the Warhammer/Tomahawk/Excalibur on the cover of the early BattleTech box sets was almost exactly the same as the Macross/Robotech versions, but as time went on and FASA published its own Technical Readouts, the designs were altered in many small ways, hence the differences in the above figures from the Macross designs.

Irony alert - FASA got entangled in a dispute with Harmony Gold over the use of the original Macross designs, and they were removed from later editions of BattleTech - somewhat to the annoyance of BattleTech players, as these designs were some of the best-loved in the game (I myself will always have a fondness for the Shadow Hawk... )

This wasn't the first time FASA got into legal problems with BattleTech - the original version of the game was called BattleDroids, until the Lucas Empire threatened to send a few Star Destroyers FASAs way...

(I sometimes miss those days - little escaped-Japanese oddities like this were fun to find out about!)

that's because they ARE the ral-partha figures.

I've got quite a few of these... painted and assembled. I tried to sell them a while back, but no one was buying. I've got more than what's in the picture, but I wanted to give some examples of OTHER miniatures similar to Macross

post-4-1088379772_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull Leader

Wow! Those bring back memories. I still have all the Macross designs that Battletech used in the original packaging before Fasa lost the license. I was planning on painting them up as they are in Macross but never got around to it.

One of my favorites was the Battle Master. If I am not mistaken, I think that was taken from Dougram. Strangely, It seems it was always prone to head shots in Battletech. :lol:

errr, Headshots were completely random in battletech, regardless of the mech. The chances were the same with every design. Perhaps that is a flaw in the game, but nevertheless by Level 2 Tournament rules you have just as much chance of landing a headshot on a Battlemaster as you do on a Clint, or Catapult.

Skull Leader, I know how the game works :D . I have been playing it for over 15 years. Of course the chances are the same with each mech. I was only commenting on how it always seemed that when I fielded the BattleMaster that it took a headshot.

I should have been more clear in my post. :)

p.s. Culverin, the stinger and wasp look great. Very nicely painted. The bases are especially well done.

Skull Leader, I know how the game works :D . I have been playing it for over 15 years. Of course the chances are the same with each mech. I was only commenting on how it always seemed that when I fielded the BattleMaster that it took a headshot.

I should have been more clear in my post. :)

p.s. Culverin, the stinger and wasp look great. Very nicely painted. The bases are especially well done.

Ha, the one time I played someone with a battlemaster, he took a head shot. The damage spilled over to his reactor and he blew sky-high. That was the only time I played that I ever saw a head shot. I still have the game on my bookshelf, but I stopped playing as the new rules started coming out.

Off topic post I know, but I couldn't help responding.

legios, the new rules are really all the much different from the old ones...

just expanded, they're not a re-write at all...

now to answer the questions in turn.

re: un spacy logo?

um, bout 45 minutes of being really bored at the construction site.

it's my first carving, i'd probably be able to cut it down to 30 next time around and make it look nicer. (provided i wasn't using a cheapy box cutter)

to my knowledge, FASA somehow got permission from big west or somebody else from japan, but somebody else managed to sell off the "foreign" rights to harmonry gold.

when FASA took on playmates (because they too used macross material)

HG stepped in and said - we own the "out of japan" licence.

i HATE Harmony Gold :angry:

Capt Hungry

since these are OOP now, i wouldn't mind if you donated them to me ;)

i'd give them a good home

Skull Leader? ditto.

i'd give them a good home.

North of 49 - if you've still got the stuff in packaging

DON'T OPEN THEM - worth some money.

just need to list them correctly.

i could find you buyers

I'm wishing I had never opened my "Cresent Hawks Inception" version of the Phoenix Hawk Airmech... I could probably get a fair price for it.

I need to sell these, I don't have any space for them anymore

Hehe.. that was a fun game... so easy if you got that chameleon out of the training grounds when it gets attacked...

:o

dumbass!

a crescent hawks p-hawk is worth big money if still in blister.

oh well... that's impatience for you ;)

seriously though, are there any of you here that have old btech stuff and don't care anymore? really wouldn't mind expanding my collection

I have a few of them that came from Macross. Need to dig them out.

I found 4. Rifleman, the one that looks like the Gladiator (Archer?). And the two you have there.

Edited by Lu523

Culverin, Don't worry, I am keeping them sealed in the blisters. I have doubles of all of them assembled and painted. The only ones I don't have painted are the LAMs. They will remain in the blisters.

As for buyers, Not to worry, I am going to hold on to them for now. :)

Edited by North of 49

I always thought it was a cool/stupid idea about having the Valkyries in different modes being totally different mechs. Its like having an army of launch-day-Hikarus who don't know how to use the transformation controls!

"Send in the Battroids! Followed by a bombing run by the Fighters, and have the GERWALK squadrons come in to clean up the mess!"

:p:lol::D

The air-mech versions were capable of all three modes. It just wasn't represented in the miniatures.

THey were called LAMS or Land and Air Mechs, I believe. Aerospace fighters cum battlemechs. Don't know their stats though.

Most everyone refers to them as "airmechs" for short though (at least, Michael Mulvilhill, who worked for FASA at the last tournament I went to did)

there are 3 classes of airmech:

Stinger (30 tons)

Wasp (30 tons)

Phoenix Hawk (50 tons)

The wasp armaments did not change, while the Stinger packed 3 medium lasers (as opposed to the single MedLas and 2 MGs the regular version packed). The phoenix hawk's armament did not change either, although the tech readout stated that the model of Large laser it used was considerably more unreliable over the model the standard mech used) The extra weight of the LAMS accounts for their conversion equipment. It is possible that the weight of the Singer and Wasp airmechs was 25 tons, but for some reason I recall it being 30 tons... I'm too lazy to drag out my 3025 tech readout to check.

One of the main reasons why the airmechs were considered level 3 rules instead of tournament based lev.2 is because they recieve almost triple the jumping distance as a standard model, and it won't cause heat. In most cases this can effectively remove you from a conflict if need be. Also the ability to convert and then strafe the playing field as a fighter adds to it.

As much as I loved my Phoenix Hawk Airmech, I only really used it when we played Mechwarrior (as my storyline mech), because it SERVERELY unbalances a standard tabletop Battletech game. And even in MW, the game master was constantly throwing heavy and assault opponents against me in an attempt to even things out.

Edited by Skull Leader