US Army gets new uniforms

That and some people take sarcasm the wrong way. This whole "Sub issue" is a hot topic for me and I will admit to jumping into it with both boots rather than just shutting up. I'm not trying to pick fights or piss people off here... But I know I piss people off whenI start getting IM's about things I post but hey, that is who I am. I am a joker nine times out of ten but every now and then someone will flip one of my switches unbeknownst to them and change me from joker to serious. I usually do my best to push myself away from the keyboard and chew on a coaster or something but I guess it is just this thread and the memories I remember when posting in it and my own personal feelings on things. I apologize if people take me for a old meanie at times but hey, everyone has their personal button presser topics that put a quarter in the pony if you know what I mean.

Back to the thread, ignore the crazy vet! Halucinating the cong again he is! :ph34r:

When the Marine Corps' MARPAT was still early in the works, the Army was asked if it wanted in on the little venture. Of course, if the Army bought into it also, things would be alot more cheaper. In the end, the Army didn't want it and was content with the current BDUs (which aren't bad by any means).

The USMC continued on and sought input from the ranks. There were a few things that were going to be implemented but Marines screamed to not add. I remember removable, zipper sleeves. Yes, you read right. Thank Chesty Puller that didn't get in. There were big yays/nays regarding the velcro pockets, and I'm not that big a fan of it either. The velcron however only exists on the breast pockets: Everything else is good 'ol buttons, including the upper arm pockets on both sides.

On a quick glance, the new Army digitals' features are similar to the USMC. Barring color similarities and the obvious difference with the colar. I recall that when the MARPAT went live the soldiers liked what they saw, esp. with the woodland versions. Regarding the tan boots, I also remember hearing a while back how "abnormal" tan boots were. I thought it seemed weird when we were switching to them but it makes more sense when you get dirty out there. Brown is just a much more natural color than black. It's just too bad the Army didn't buy into it with the Corps at the same time, dating way back to 2000. It would have saved both of our services time & money.

I still have 3 pairs of the old woodland/3-tone desert cammies with me, with one being boot camp issue from '93. I now have 2 MARPAT woodlands and 2 MARPAT deserts cammies and I will never use the old stuff anymore. The old woodlands are good, but the new digitals surpasses them in practically every way. It seems to work that much better in the fall with decidous trees.

MARPAT Blouse

The link above will show a thumbnail of a young PFC with the MARPAT uniform (blouse shown only). If you click on the bottom right you will see a huge hi-res picture (DSC 0130) and you'll get a good view of the pattern.

Edited by Warmaker

What's the name of the new body armor that looks plastic, but has larger shoulder pads that cover part of the sides of the arm? i've seen it a few times, but can never catch the name. There's supposed a helmet that goes with it, too (although the helmet just looks like a PASGAT to me).

What's the name of the new body armor that looks plastic, but has larger shoulder pads that cover part of the sides of the arm? i've seen it a few times, but can never catch the name. There's supposed a helmet that goes with it, too (although the helmet just looks like a PASGAT to me).

think deltoid covers. think someone was saying its an add on to the interceptor armor to provide more coverage.

Forgive me if someone already said this (and I missed it), but that new cammo design and color at the start of this thread, looks like the army is preparing for the battlefield of today and the future - urban environments.

(Just my 2 cents - I'm not military)

It looks.........European. Thats bad. The other problem with the high collar is that its a bigger target for hot brass going down your clothes.....not fun. One other thing you've got to think about with the velcro is that in the heat of battle, it makes noise, becuase you are going to try to get a fresh mag in your gun ASAP. And that means noise. And the camo pattern..........I don't know and I have no oppinion.

Hopefully the AF follows suit as well.

Actually, the AF already has a new pattern. It's a grey, blue, and green tiger stripe BDU. It looks REMARKABLY similar to the Russian "Berezka" pattern. It came out in February, I think. I'll see if i can find a pic...

here you go:

my friend is in the airforce (Vandenberg AF Base) and he's been bitching about the new pattern since september of last year....they've been holding back the new pattern several times on that base (i really don't know why) i guess even vandenberg thinks the pattern ain't all that great

I think some people are getting too bent out of shape by the "looks" of it. If I had to wear it, I'd be more concerned about...oh, I don't know....how well the camoflage actually worked. For something a soldier has to wear in combat, I'd assume that "looks" would be pretty secondary. If you want to look pretty, isn't that why they issue dress uniforms?

Here's a fun fact about camoflage:

When the Waffen SS was first formed, they were among the first German forces to get the now distinctive camoflage smocks and helmet covers. However, the older veteran commanders of the regular whermacht scoffed at their "goofy" uniforms because they were't field grey like any real German soldier wore. :rolleyes:

my friend is in the airforce (Vandenberg AF Base) and he's been bitching about the new pattern since september of last year....they've been holding back the new pattern several times on that base (i really don't know why) i guess even vandenberg thinks the pattern ain't all that great

What, Erik has a hard time sleeping in it or something?

What, Erik has a hard time sleeping in it or something?

pretty much :lol:

nah he said they sucked when you saw them upclose...but at least it matches more with his branch in the military...he's just a cop anyways so it shouldn't matter what kinda camo he wears :lol::p